HAWG SEEKER ROD AND REEL

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by smitty1963, Aug 8, 2009.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just bought the hawg seeker rod and reel combo from wally world a few days ago and thought I would give it a try and I must say I was pleasently surprised as it did exactly as advertised:big_smile:

2. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    You get the spincast or spinning combo? i got the spinning combo and its my best rod and reel atm ive caught all my best fish on it the bite alert kinda sucked but hey it still catches fish

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got the spinning one, I like it just fine. I usually take 1 Hawg seeker, 1 Abu 6500, and 1 King Kat spinning combo from Cabelas when I go. Eash one has done great so far.

4. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    stop wastin ur money on wallmart poles

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would like to here your suggested pole of choice?

6. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

This kind of post usually stirs the pot a bit :wink: I would tend to agree, if talking with friends... But went to a couple sites, and these rigs get a 4 and 5 rating most places, so someone is pleased? I was looking at a Wally World combo the other day, stuffed upstairs in my "Rigs 4 Kids" tackle, someone donated. I was amazed at how smooth and functional it was for a $20 outfit, sale priced at $15! Think this one had 1 bearing as well, where most have none, lol. Getting to the point, I think these little setups are "Great" to buy for kids/first time fishermen, the little lady, all the types that have a good chance of either "not" continuing with the sport, or will tear it up trying to learn. It's disposable! Look at the specs (what they give you anyway).... Either no mention of bearings, or one. I'm sure the one, I'd prefer a good "metal" bushing, over the shotty bearing installed... but yes better than none, and you'll find where bushings take the place of bearings in cheaper reels, these "so called bushings" are just plastic in these. If you want the reel to last more than a couple days of fishing, thorough oiling and greasing is all that will save you (after every trip), and then not for long. But if it's only to be used a dozen times, why not? Other little things, the pickup rollers, don't turn, hence more friction/heat/wear and twisting in your line (put a little oil/Pledge/wax to help). The extra durable gears, what does that mean, harder plastic? Because most are just that. If plastic can be used, that's what you get. Make sure you fight the fish with the rod, not the reel, and keep greased. Now the Hawg Hunter is top of the line I guess, you do get an aluminum spool, and one ball bearing.... this does help, but now your into twice the price, at $40. Has anyone torn one apart? Wondering if "maybe" they have pot metal gears/over plastic? An E-Glass rod, nothing wrong with that on the inexpensive, just heavier than it's counterparts, but your bait fishing, no problem. Now you get into the plastic reel seat, that strips easily, be careful, and ceramic guides, lol. You can always replace the tip with a better one for $5, that helps a lot. You can also help matters (if you have one) by closing the bail manually, and be very cautious of bails closing on you with a hard cast, or a lot of weight... this is very common with these reels. Keep in mind, from the specs I got, the rod is rated for 3oz, and 17lb test. So don't load with 30lb mono, and try to throw 6oz of weight! But some specs were different, on different sites, lol. The reel ratio was listed as 3.3:1 on one site, for the spinning, and 4.9:1 on another :)

So there are some of the pro's and cons... cheap, works nice for a short period, will last a while for the occasional fishing trip, with a little TLC. These are not for the avid fisherman.... Forget fishing every weekend, you'll work on it more than you fish it, and when you hook your PB, it will let you down! "Don't even consider braid on these, by the way" :eek:oooh:

Want to get a kid fishing, get him one by all means! Might be a lasting memory for him or her, that got them started in a wonderful past-time. If you have owned an outfit before, pass this up... IMO the lowest grade rod you should buy, that's inexpensive, and will last you years of fishing is the "Ugly Stick" (to answer the guys post above). Reels, there are so many out there, that I'll call inexpensive, what you "don't" want is a cheap reel. What you get, has more to do with the style reel you prefer.

This wasn't a well thought out post, just wanted to get something up after reading the question. Go with what works for you, and don't worry about what someone else thinks. This, as will all posts, is just my opinion. Just trying to put a few facts out there for the first timer, mostly.... in what to look for, and what to expect :big_smile:

Just my $.02

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes.. i was gonna buy one the other day whil i was gettin other stuff.. ran out of money :sad2:

8. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    IMO, If your fishin day in and out stay away from wal-mart combos and get you a good set-up shimano or abu reel and a quality rod. You might be able to find a ok rod wal-mart though:roll_eyes:. I have lost tons of money in cheap set-ups its not even funny:embarassed: But then again I usually fish every day and they just can not handle the abuse.
    If your just hittin the river a couple times a month, Im sure the mart combos will do ya fine. Like i said that is just my opinon:big_smile:

9. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im glad everyone is so well off and can afford such expensive rigs

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hey how's it going Ken, You know i bought my son a hawg seeker spinning combo and it work's great , There are a few old timer's on here that have them and they've caught 40-50 # cat's on them. The poles are made of e-glass and the reels work fine too we have caught a s#it load of channel's and striper's on this set up with out 1 problem . Fish On:wink:

11. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    the only problem i had was the bite alert wasnt too great and the handle kept loosening on the reel,, easy fix, but other than that i think they are a good buy, i dont use it when targeting flatheads, but it is perfect for everything else.

12. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    lol...sorry if I got your goat:roll_eyes: But why post this thread if you did not want any opinions on this combo.:smile2:Believe me im not to well off :smile2: it took a month of penny pinchin to get my last combo. I just found over the years of using sub-par equipment, It is easier to buy a GOOD combo that is going to last, doing this is actually cost efficent in the long run:wink:

Anyways I hope your hawg-seeker combo, will bring in many hawgs for you in the years to come:wink:

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have that set up and have owned it for the past 2.5 years. It works fine for me and the bite alert worked fine for me too although its time to switch out the batteries. I caught my 52lb carp on that pole, hell of a fight and it reeled the big guy in with no problems

14. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    202 404 606???:smile2:

15. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have been looking at buying one but wasnt sure if they are a wast of money...I like bait casters the best and i dont care for spinning as much but i do use them..I hate spincast...but if the spin cast works better i will buy it but i would like the spinning reel!!