Hawesville, Cannelton Information

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by glenmorebuckman, Jul 22, 2009.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I've always done all my fishing from the bridge at Hawesville up to the dam, but have never ventured downstream. Every time I go fishing recently, the parking lot is full of boat trailers but very few fishing at the dam. Where is everybody going downstream? Is there something down there I'm missing? I know there is some kind of factory below Hawesville, not sure what it is. Is there creeks or rivers coming in down below. Is there good deep holes?

2. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    there is alot of good water down streeam. i won a tourny october last yr and also had big fish and the big fish wasnt caught at the dam it was caught down river. there is alot of good areas you just have to venture out and find some. we are having a tourny there next month. do you tourny fish? its alot of fun. the tourny i won the big fish was 35 pound blue, had a 27 pound flat and a 10 pound blue. bite was slow that day. had total of 72 pounds with 3 fish but 2nd place only had 20 plus pounds. thats how slow a day it was.

3. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Electric plant downstream across from Tell City where the big gray smokestack is. I hear theres some good fishing down there. That Tourney sounds sooo fun! I wish I could go out with someone.

4. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    electric plant is ok. depends on what your fishing for. alot of channels are pulled from there but not alot of big fish. my biggest from that spot was about 19 pounds but average 4 to 5 pounds. but when they are on there they are on.

5. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We've caught alot of big fish at rocky point and up the river. but most of our luck falls below the dam all the way down past troy by the Island. there are alot of good spots all the way down I mark them on the Gps as I find em and it seems I stumble on to new ones everytime IM up there.

6. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im going to cannelton tomorrow to fish

7. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I went to Cannelton this evening.I fished 3-4 hrs caught 2 blues one around 7 lbs and another around 4 missed a couple more and had a good fish break off must have had a nick in the line:angry:
    I was drift fishing below the dam using cut skips for bait.
    Sure looks differnt since they started doing the earth work.

8. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fished down river today not toward the dam. started drifting missed a good one then caught a 12 pound blue, started the drift again had a bump them a huge take down. the fish buried it so hard i couldnt get the rod out of the holder. had to let some line out to get the rod loose. big mistake i got the rod out fought him for about 60 seconds and couldnt move him he was huge then he just let go. then a storm blue in and the river got angry 3 foot swells so i went home. going back sunday cause got a tourny in hawesville next month. got to find the big ones

9. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fished all night last night between the bridge and the damn caught a few flatheads early than the gar moved in. On the way back we drift fished and from the bridge to the cannelton ramp we had fish poundin our shad some hard hits but we couldn't get any to hook, man they would hit it hard and constanly some even pulled my bait clicker out on my 309 penn usually means fish on. this went on for about 45 mins 3 poles, all were getting hit at the same time it never quit. What kind of fish you think it was surely not catfish cause we would've surley landed one. Thinkin back i should have downsized my hook and put a little bait on maybe i could have seen at least what it was. Its still driven me nuts. I think my brother in-law set the hook 100 times in that 45 mins:smile2:

10. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dnt know. could have been gar i guess? never caught one drifting yet. mine was cats cause i caught 1. i just been having trouble gettin them hooked. i just ordered some diff brand hooks to see if that will help.

11. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Sure sounds like gar when cats hit that hard its usually fish on.:wink:

12. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Aaron, I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. I did end up getting one fish, and yes it was a gar. I do not know if all of them were.:eek:oooh:

BIGCAT GarryEads

13. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I never caught gar drifting in 35 foot of water only about 5 foot off the bottom though but it may have been

Gary i take it you didn't attempt to fish the Ohio this weekend to much stuff flyin by or should i say to many trees

the past few rains surely didn't help either

14. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    how far down from the dam is troy and the island you are talking about.never been passed the plant. sounds like i need to try this area out.I always wondered what was down river.

15. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    fdsdddd.jpg fdsdddd.jpg fdsdddd.jpg fdsdddd.jpg

Troy is 3-4 miles from Tell City. And Tell City is only a couple miles from the dam. Ill get you a picture.

16. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sorry bout the 4 links. island.jpg

17. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks for the pics i am going to fish that area that bend looks good

18. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    went out this morning cought only one blue about 12 lbs. three other boats beside us striper fishing and all hooking up and doing well. a few other cat boats but never seen anyone else hook up.

19. Top_Of_The_South

Top_Of_The_South New Member

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    I have fished cannelton several times and the biggest fish i caught was only around a 5-6 pound flathead. I was fishing on bottom tho. I seen a few boats drift fishing and they were hooking up left and right. I have never tried drift fishing myself but if it works that well then i wanna try it. How deep do you normally drift fish and what type of rig do you use?

20. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Fished cloverport sat went down river and drift fished and tried anchoring...nothing one bite in 7 hrs fishing.:sad2:
    I was using cut skips that I had in freezer.I hit the deep holes and the transition areas but no luck?
    All I know is they gotta eat sometime :wink: