Haw River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by laidbck111, Nov 7, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Has anyone fished the Haw River? I see a lot of guys fishing there just not for catfish. Looks like small mouth and possibly trout fishing. That place looks like flathead heaven full of snags and fell timber. I was just wondering if anyone has ever fished it. When the weather warms up I am going to go try it out. For now I think I will just go walk it. It doesn't look promising for a boat of anysize I see the kayakers carrying there rigs across alot of places but there are some great snags and rapids.

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Benji, my brother in law fished the tail race below jordan on sat and caught a small hybrid and a small large mouth and a few small channels...

Not sure about big cats though it does look pretty good but too shallow for my 19' center console...

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks for the info. I should have said above Jordan And north of 64. They have a couple of concrete walls up I guess to help with sediment. I need to go try it out and see.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are you talking about the haw like up near graham? My uncle lives down there and i saw the haw river in graham/Burlington and man it does look great but i wasn't sure if there was Flatheads or blues in there. I'm sure its full of channels. let me know which part your talking about and if you do fish it let us know how you do.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been looking at it from Hwy 64 in Chapel Hill all the way up to the city of Haw River. Havn't fished it yet tough my part time job has me working about 65 hours a week lol. I will let you know how I do and which part I try though

6. jcm271

jcm271 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I kayak and fish the Haw fairly regularly. Mostly I catch largemouth bass and bream. I've caught cats, but all were too small to keep. As far as boating, canoes and kayaks would be the only thing you could get in there. I've kayaked from Altamahaw down to Jordan and it is all passable even in late August. However, you will have to get out and walk occasionally for 20 to 30 yards here and there. Also you will drag bottom here and there but be able to pass. There are a few dams (these are probably the concrete barriers you saw) along the haw. Most are remnants of old mills, but some are still in use for generating electricity. Stay back from these dams as people have been seriously injured and killed by accidentally going over them. The backwater from these dams creates small lakes within the river which are suitable for small boats like a jon boat.

Hope that helps