Having trouble catching channel catfish in a pond

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catfish_hunter_12, Mar 8, 2006.

1. catfish_hunter_12

catfish_hunter_12 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have a problem with a pond I fish. The channels won't bite for several reasons. I can't fish on the bottom because the bottom is covered in moss, and everytime I use liver with a float the bluegill maul it to death. I am looking for a bait to use that the channel will bite, and the bluegill won't, and can be fished off the bottom. Can someone help me witht this problem?

2. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    try some ivory soap, i know channels will eat it and have never had bream bite it, trick is keepin it on the hook..also u could try shrimp, bream will probally eat it but they wont tear it apart like liver...
    Good Luck...
    Mike

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    a channel cats entire body is covered in sensors that pretty much turn its entire skin into a tounge- it tastes everything with its skin as it swims.

I would not worry about mossy bottoms. They'll find it if they want it.

I'd say that you could put your larger hunk of liver hunk in a nylon stocking, tie it shut & snip off the excess, and the gills wont tear it up no matter how they try, while the channel cats will not care.

Either do that or cut up a hunk of bluegill and put that on a hook. a nice Gill steak is a welcome treat to mr whiskers

AND WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!!

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Try some stink bait. I don't think bluegill will eat that...

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ivory soap will really only work on trot lines or if you have 12 hours to give.

Like sal said if the catfish want it they will find it. NO moss will stop them. Try cut bluegill if there are any big catfish in thier it should stir thier interest.

Good Luck on that water :cool:

Josh

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if there are that many hungry bluegills in there then they are no doubt on the channels menu at dinnertime. cut up some of those gills and use them.

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Try raw shrimp I don't think the gills will mess with it. And welcome to the best catfishing site on the net!

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Use a crawler, catch a gill, cut it up and catch a cat.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'd say use a chunk of gill.

10. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    salmon works great in ponds

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    use the whole blugill minus tail .get bluegill on the hook and in the water while it is still bleeding

12. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well with that many blue gill running around ya might catch a good size fish.to fish on the bottom could you use a 3 way swivel and let you hook stay above the moss.

13. catfish_hunter_12

catfish_hunter_12 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have tried useing the blue gill trick before, but when i used it I had 3 gills and caught 3 bass. I'll try the shrip technique next time.

Thanks for the welcome to the site. I'll fit right at home here.

14. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Each spring I buy a bag of OL ROY dog food. Take about a half coffee can of it and start feeding them. Do this every day at the same time,preferably about sunup. After about two weeks the cats will be in a feeding frenzy each morning.Then stop feeding them for about a week. Drill a small hole in the dog food and put it on a #4 hook. Fish about a foot deep under a small bobber.You can catch cats every morning.I just catch them and throw them back.
    PS buy the small bite size chunks of dog food,they will not eat the big pieces for some reason.Hope this helps.
    PSS check your local fishing laws,this may be illegal where you are.But should be OK if its your own pond.

15. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I fish a couple of small ponds for cats, one of them I might add is incredibly mossy in the summer. I still fish the bottom, with best success being on stink bait. Other then that I've caught some nice channels fishing 3" live bluegills about 2 feet under a bobber near shoreline structure in these ponds. Good luck and I hope that helps.

16. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have used a dip net to catch bluegill along the shore of a pond and threw them back in the middle of the pond with great results during eve and night hours. we were cleaning fish all morning! We are so dry now that the pond where this happend is all but dry.. but it was a great cat night that i will never forget! good luck on some fishin!

17. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree the bluegill and green sunfish can be pesky at time, but if your bait is being attacked by 'other' fish it may also get mr. catfish's attention as well. Bluegill or green sunfish in a feeding frenzy can attract the attention of the catfish. Maybe you could have two hooks on you line. One to attract the baitfish and one with a bait for the catfish. (worms and chicken skin??)

Ralph

18. alsims

alsims New Member

order you a jar of danny king punch bait & catch all the cat you waunt.you will love it.

19. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    there is a small lake near me that I fish and the bottom of it is covered in moss I have found floating cutbait(mainly cut carp) 3 to 4' deep works great there

20. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    In the local ponds (large and small) by where im at they are hitting hard on nightcrawlers. Our ponds here are covered in moss as well but that doesnt effect them. I use a standard circle hook, and have a egg sinker tied up about 15" from the hook. Its been working great for me, so give nightcrawlers a try.