Having a hard time

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rubikscube, May 19, 2009.

1. rubikscube

rubikscube New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heeeey all, first post and all that. It's been awhile since I've been cat fishing, several years in fact, so I'm trying to get back into that. I went fishing sunday afternoon, in all honesty probably way too early in the day, at a small pond on my Uncle's place I last fished probably about eight years ago.

I caught a small green sunfish I used for cut bait and I got skunked, It's not a very big pond so I didn't live my bait in one place too long maybe 30-35min a cast and I usually used a new piece of bait each new cast.

I was fishing tightline on the bottom which is how I remember fishing it before except I used to use some kind of store bought dough ball of some kind but I expected with the large amount of green sunfish in the pond they would be a better bait to use.

Anyway, I guess I'm asking if I should continue to use green sunfish (fillet or chunk?) and just keep trying or if I should try something else or maybe just adding a float. I normally only tried to catch them in deep water should I change up and go shallower and near cover?

The biggest cat I caught way back when was a 12lb channel which is the only kind of cat in the pond I "believe". It's possible it harbors a flathead or two as a few of these fish where transplanted by my cousin although I can't imagine a flathead surviving in a pond that small.

One last note, I've never caught a catfish under 5 or 6 pounds out of there, whats up with that?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get details out there, thanks in advance for the help and hopefully my next outing will be a little more interesting.

2. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    try using the heads of the bream and fish in the current. fish were the current is constricted.around rocks, if pond fishing go 2 the dam side and chunk it strait down the dam channel cats will congrigate and spawn in hole made by muskrats ect.hope this will help and good luck!!!!

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Adam welcome to the BOC from n.c. you have found the best site on the web ,great people an great info .

WELCOME ABOARD

4. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome Adam ! I would try some good ole chicken livers. My favorite pond bait. Pretty good fried up and on my plate too !

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah for a small pond id go with chicken liver for sure,and keep using the bluegill heads,in a small pond like your describing if theres any cats in it the will hit on the liver.And welcome.

6. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    welcome to the BOC :big_smile::cool2::smile2:

7. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I don't know how much it helps, but I like to switch out my cutbait every 15-20 minutes. The oil and flavor is gone after that, and it's not as enticing to the fish. And if there are cats there, and they are hungry, it doesn't take them long to find your bait.

I second the chicken liver. It puts out a good scent cloud, even in still water. Chicken intestines are good, too. Same with dip bait. Best to take a few different baits, and let the cats tell you what they want. Sometimes, they'll eat anything and sometimes they're real particular. I'll bet they eat the little sunfish, especially if they're abundant. Maybe try a slip float, and let the wind push it around a bit? Keep at it, and you'll unlock the secret.

8. rubikscube

rubikscube New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alright well, it sounds like chicken liver is what I need to try out next! I have to buy a container next time I go to the grocery store. Thanks for the help!