having a hard time finding fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by skipjack1984, Apr 5, 2009.

1. skipjack1984

skipjack1984 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    went last night to the cumberland city steam plant. Caught only one small channel. I do almost all of my fishing at night and never seem to get on any good fish? what am i doing wrong. any tips for cathing them this time of year would be greatly appreciated.

2. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    All I can say is be on the move and try many different spots with different baits and techniqs.:wink:

3. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
    The most important thing is bait...to me... you can fish deep water or shallow water but as long as you are soaken some stinky bait you will almost always find the fish. Thell get to tasten that bait in the water and thell search and search until they find it.Im in SO CAL. so i use a stinky bait called Mackrel,but i here theres a bait out there by the name of Skip jack and its really oily and stinky. you may have to wait a little longer due to the water temp.but those bigguns are there and just waiten to flop in the bottom of the boat

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Agred about skipjack, but shad will work too. I would find shallow water near deep water with the warm current. good luck

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to the BOC Tony.you will catch fish just keep trhe bait in the water. good luck,and keep posting.
    smokey

6. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Bank fishin seems to be gettin more difficult these days if ya ask me. In my area it seems like more and more people are goin for cats. If your down around the steam plant tho, you shouldnt have too much trouble for long. The fish are supposedly on the move right now looking for food and spawing holes since the water is warmin up, plus all this rain has probably got em' stiring about even more. Bait is a mojor thing, what have you been using? If I were you, I wouldnt be sittin in one place for long if your not havin any luck there. Try different depths and look for rocky edges (riprap) where the current picks up and is flowin good. Thats about all I can tell ya, heck, I need to dust my poles off and get back out on the water myself!

7. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This will probably sound like a dumb question, You all keep talking about skipjacks, I was raised a commercial firsherman and we must have called them something else. Are you all talking about the big Herin shad that get up to 2or 3 lbs. or are you talking about the small thread fin shad that run in great big schools and you catch them with a throw net. There is also what we called a gizzered shad. Does anyone have a picture of one?
    I think you are talking about the small ones that run in big schools. help an old dumb ass out

8. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    skipjacks look like small tarpon.... i mean just like a minature tarpon.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    skipjack herring
    [​IMG]
    Gizzard shad
    [​IMG]
    threadfin
    Some people around here call those skipjack Tennessee tarpon..Being from Louisiana and having caught tarpon they do look like em..Where I come from we called skipjack banana fish..Never really used them for cut bait down in Louisiana,we usually used...
    [​IMG]
    mullet or....
    [​IMG]
    croaker..

10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Me to oh crap sorry i havent even got out yet?

11. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Les and everyone. I know what you're talking about now ,they are the ones that school up and we use a throw net to catch them. miniture Tarpon...:smile2:

12. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Les
    My son lives in Houma. He loves it down there ,So do I GOOD FOOD

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The food....MMMMMM tell me about it...I miss the food more than anything..Last time I was down there I gorged myself...I had muffaleta, shrimp and oyster poorboys and boiled crabs...Now I'm drooling...Anyways I haven't had much luch fishing lately either other than catching skipjack..My freezer is full now..I finally got my boat up and running and plan on trying em out soon..Went last night for a little while off the bank and caught 6 channel cats..They were all nice sized none under 5lb but none over 10lbs..They would only bite on the skipjack guts and they were congregated in one litle area..If you didn't get it close enough to the spot they wouldn't touch it..I just think the water is not warm enough yet..Last time I checked the water was around 50-55 degrees and I think think it needs to get up to about 60 before they really start turning on..

14. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Anthony Welcome to the BOC. I know the feeling I've had one good trip this year the rest were bust:confused2: So hang in there and enjoy the trip anyway. Good luck:cool2: