havin trouble casting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatManAndy, Jul 22, 2006.

1. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im fishing with a spinning reel on an 8 foot rod and im havin a hard time getting the distance i would like from my casts. Could anyone explain the right way to cast to me?

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Wow thats pretty open ended question could be the line is too heavy. It depends on the stiffness of the rod if its not stiff enough and your using to much wieght you kind of just lob it out there. Ill be glad to help but if you could give some more specifics that would be great.:wink:

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Andy,

I would practive using a weight only. Get a weight that weighs as much as your normal bait+weight and tie it to the end of your line. Get in an open yard with enough clearance and practice your casting until you get it down.

With the spinning reel (right-handed):

1 - open your bail and secure the line to the reel with your fingers/hand on your right hand...keep it firmly held while allowing easy release.

2 - keep your left hand with a death grip on the very end of your rod

3 - The motion is hard to describe, but I get the best results by swinging the rod slight left of verticle over my right shoulder. I pull down with my left hand on the bottom of the rod while I am using my right for the forward momentum.

4 - I think casting distance hinges on the precise release point and the power you develop in the swing. I do not aim for the point I want to hit. I release aiming high above my target (kinda like a baseball throw from outfield to home plate). When I release, I have the rod pointed out and only held by the rod end with my left hand. Simular to Ruth's home run point.

5 - You just have to practice until you get it down. Each set-up is a little different. The stiffness of your rod, size of your bail, and line diameter have a lot to do with it. The smaller diameter lines typically cast farther with everything else being equal. A flexible rod end with give you more distance as well as a larger bail.

6 - Try varying your forward motion. Some people use a quick hard start and throw it as hard as they can. I like to smooth my start and put the power in the middle of the forward motion. This allows me to throw finicky baits like liver without losing it. If I have cutbait on...then I just power the hell out of it.

Good luck.

4. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    are you using a spinning rod? a spinning rod is the one with the big eye on the bottom. that makes alot of difference.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use all types. The tips I gave you were for a spinning rod. The big eye is only to allow for the line coming off the reel in a wide arc circle and eases the tension on the line. If you notice, the eyes get smaller as they go up the rod. This is to funnel the outgoing line straight.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, how about a picture of the reel on the rod and show the last/lowest/closest to the reel guide so we can make sure the spinning reel is on a Spinning Rod, has enough line, of the correct diameter and that the reel matches the rod.
    if all are ok, then its Operator error...:wink:

Salmonid

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'd suggest that when you have some free time and you're not fishing practice casting a sinker for a while. Your problem might be the way that you're releasing the line. What I do is I have the reel hang down so that its under the rod when you hold your rod&reel. I get my index finger and hold the line down to the rod so that when I open the bale the line doesn't spill out. When I cast, I swing the rod (like any cast) and let my finger go (the finger thats holding the line to the rod). Just practice a little and that will help maximize your casting abilities. Other factors may include your fishing line and the reel you're using.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A spinning rod oesn't have a trigger oposite the reel. Casting rods have the trigger. We need to know the rod model, and reel make and model, line size, and practice weight. to really help you .

9. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    There may also be a problem with the line itself. I've had several spinning reels that line was tangled on the spool preventing a long cast. It might be as simple as respooling your line. Keep us posted!

Greg

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    If you are looking at distance, you might want a rod with smaller eyes as well it will cast farther

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hard to answer.

There is a magic combination of line weight, rod length, and lure/sinker weight. It all has to come together to reach maximum casting distance.

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    As has been said before A lot of us can help you if we know exactly what is is your set up is.

13. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    its a spinning rod, i am using an 8 foot berkely glow stik, and i have 25 pound test on the reel, i think the reel might be too small, would that have somethin to do with it? as for pictures i have none. i dont have a scanner or a digital camera

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    What kind of reel is it? You aren't casting all the line off the reel are you? An 8' glowstick should be able to throw a ways but you might need some more weight to get the road to load up pretty good.

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    On a spinning set up keep in mind that the closer the line is to the edge of the spool the further you will be able to cast. Line height to the edge of the spool is crucial to long casting as well as rod, weight etc. If there is not enough line on the spool there will be greater resistance as the line comes off the spool during the cast.

16. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Andy,We need some more Info in order to help ya out,Everybody has given ya good info but you need to tell us what you got and how you are holding it and how you are casting it how big of a sinker are you useing?Tell us that and I think we can FIX ya.But it sounds like you might just need some time on the old river bank.Good luck with it Bro....

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

this is a good point if your using a casting rod with a spinning reel it will decrease your casting distance a lot. Are you casting overhead are side arm? Do you know what a pendelum cast is and if so have you tried to do so? Are youi using heavy pound test are old line that coils a lot? There are many more possibilities that could answer your questions.

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Ok they are all focusing on if your using the right rod or not... Thats only a small part of the equation...

First thing i tell all my kids (in the camp i teach) is that if they aren't casting that far check for tangles along the rod... the line wraping around the rod inbetween guides, etc... This is usually the most common thing...

Next is the right weight line... now usually the kids have prespooled at the factory so we don't have to worry about 50 lb mono on an ultra light... but check... it can make a huge difference...

How much weight are you using... i tend to go towards the further end of the spectrum that the rod is rated for... so i'll use 1 oz. on a rod rated for up to 1 1/4 oz... just lets you know where the best castability is and you should follow it... usually the lower end is too light to cast good distances but it still will cast 1/2 way decently...

Are you releasing too soon or too late???? Thats the other really big one the kids have... if the bait and weight are going reallllllly high and falling about 10 feet from you then your releasing it too soon.... if its being rocketed down at your feet 20 feet in front of you your releasing too late... One way to correct this is sidearm casting... it helps a bit and you'll be able to tell too late or too early by where it falls .... for a right handed caster if your letting go too early it'll fall to the right... if your releasing it too late it'll hit to the far left... usually ending up on the bank next to you hopefully not hitting anyone or crossing too many lines... the right timing should be right in front of you in about a 10 or so degree area...

Once you have checked all that and none of that is the problem then your casting fine... to get more leverage and therefore more distance get a longer rod but keep it in the same lure weight class... so if your using a 4.5 ultra light switch to a 5 or 5.5... 6's and 6.5 ul's are rarer and aren't really worth the extra length usually... (i use 6.5's just because i like them, not because they get better distance) or for MH and you have a 6 go to a 6.5 or 7... maybe even a 7.5 or 8 if they have it...

Best place to check all this is at a field... if their is an unused football field at the local highschool that seems to work the best... but pretty much any open field will do... i use one next to my bait river for practicing casting (fly mostly but will test out new rods too...) and also adjusting for new wieghts on my baitcasters (setting the spool tension)... I think thats it... if i think of anything else i'll post

Oh i forgot... don't have 10 feet of line out when casting... and don't have the weight right up against the tip top guide... inbetween 6 and 18 inches is best for casting and will get you the most distance...

19. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Not nesecerily, Depends if it's flourocarbon or mono line. I have a few reels (shimano stradic,symetre) that have adjustable line lay/spooling paterns by way of adding or subtracting washers under the spool.

a little off topic but had to mension...:big_smile:

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Oh crap! I just realized what you meant... Having a full spool! I feel stupid now...:embarassed: