haven't given up yet.....

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by tkeyhunter, Apr 19, 2008.

1. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okay, quick background City slicker started hunting with card carrying hillbilly, & the only thing achieved in three years was "near death experience"
    Have enjoyed my time in the woods, seeing many new "outdoorsy" things that would have otherwise gone unseen.
    but.......
    have said enough, will give 1 more attempt, but if zero results will not go again.
    So we go turkey hunting, my hillbilly/husband/guide gets me all ready to go & at dawn we are in the woods all camo'd & quiet
    Don't have to wait long because "hhg" see's 5 headed our way & one is BIG gobbler. The only problem is this "stud" of a turkey has 4 girlfriends with him, and by the looks of their antics (yes had to watch for two hours) none of them were into monogomy. The monster never got close enough for clean shot. He could care less about our two hen decoys, he had 4 with him that were obviously more interesting than our fake offerings. My trooper "hhg" tried calling him numerous times to no avail. After their slow progression across the field (hard to walk & do that kind of thing) they wearily wandered into woodline, I assume for a well earned nap!
    We are going again on Monday to attempt a successful season harvest for this city girl. Please say a prayer, for two things. 1st/ successful hunt for this city slicker 2nd/ that I find the fortitude to continue to try

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont give up yet gal,The party is just startin. Just have patience,and you'll connect. in time then you wont want to stop.

3. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I`m not so sure, Richard. City ways are hard to overcome. I hope she has the stuff to learn to love it.:eek:oooh::wink:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sooner or later they will sit on the nest. When they do, tommi boi will come a runnin. Hang in there.:wink:

5. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    yeh don't give up , i've only took'n 1 bird so far wich my buddie shot .are season started the 12 'th of april i have not seen noth'n sense sunday , i went out yesturday all day noth'n ,no gobble, no hens , i mean noth'n .all i got out of yesturday was wind and a yard full of branches ....
    but you can bet i will be out again chaseing these beards around .

6. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We are going Monday for sure, so I'll pop back in with (fingers crossed) a great story to tell.

7. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Yes I am tkeyhunters hhg, I was lucky enough to harvest a 25lb bird with 11 inch beard and 1 1/8th spurs last wednesday. Tkeyhunters season started friday. She has already mentioned her first trip, we will be going to where I got mine in the morning. We both work until 3am so I figure we'll get up at 8 then try to find a gobbler who's hens have already gone to nest. I pray she will connect, we will give it our best shot. Wish her luck!
    :smile2:

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    stay with it most of the hens are going to nest and decoys will start to become more effective and easer to get that gobbler to come on over. good luck.

9. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    if you give him a few days and let hime put the girls on the nest. then you mite get him to come to you.