Haven't been fishin most of the winter...but been working on fishin'...

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Fivebraids, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    ....fishin tackle, that is!

Between client jobs in the shop, I decided to build a tackle/rod rack to help organize all the dang fishin 'stuff' we have.

I had plenty of white oak on hand, so that's what it ended up being made out of. I was gonna just slap it together, but decided to treat it like a piece of furniture. So it got solid oak dovetailed drawers on full-extension ball bearing drawer slides, solid oak top, bottom and sides. The rod holder bottoms are cork lined, with clips up top to hold the rods in place...(larger clips in back to hold our flathead rods).

After I got done spraying about a dozen coats of lacquer on it, I wheeled it into the garage and loaded it up.

Here's some pics:

Collage 1.jpg
    P1020694.jpg
    P1020688.jpg

I think it'll serve us well, but I may need to build us another if we keep geting more tackle! :0a5:

Thanks for lookin...
    - Marty -

2. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Oh yeah, I forgot...

I also drug out the lathe and turned a pair of pretty kewl knobs for the drawers:

knobs.jpg

Those are fly-fishing flies embedded in an epoxy resin that I turned and polished. Denise thought those would add a 'fishin' touch to the piece, so I followed her suggestion. I like 'em. Thanks Denise...

- Marty -

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Marty thanks for sharing the pics. You are very talented. Great work and some nice fishing equipment.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    exlent work i lovem

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    very nice work you are very talented, and lots of gear also wife says i have more lol

6. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    how much for mine?

7. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Super nice Marty! Love it!

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Wow!!

Nice work, love the detail!

9. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Next to fishing, I luv my woodworking best. Unfortunately, I can't make a living catfishing, so I guess I'll stick to wood!

And Bradley, the price tag on a comparable piece would be a bit too steep for most anyone given the amount of oak and the details. A similar piece in plywood minus the dovetails and such would be affordable. But I don't do plywood, and the details are my signature. Sorry...:0a1:

Thanks again...
    - Marty -

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    dang marty, those are really nice! .......if I hadn't met ya already i would swear you're half amish.....:amazed:

11. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Marty, That looks very nice! Great job! I really like the handles! Thanks for the pics. Tim

12. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Beautiful work Marty...

13. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nope Massey, not Amish....just an old scooter tramp with a passion for wood!

Some day we'll get you down this way and I'll show you around the shop.

- Marty -

14. wareagle06

wareagle06 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That is some beautiful work Marty. My grandfather is also a very talented carpenter, growing around him building cabinets and other pieces of furniture, I love looking at works of art like the ones in your pics. Makes me wish I had paid more attention to him when he wanted me to learn some of his tricks of the trade. Very nice !!!!!!!

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Very impressive work Marty. You are very talented.

16. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Marty, I knew you did wood OM but didnt know what a talent you had in it. Superb work in the details and craftsmanship. Very talented. My Grandfather had that skill with metal sheet work. Worked many years of his life designing caskets....... I kid you not in Atlanta as well as built the Space Mountain Control Panels for Disney World. Have to show you some his work he did here at the house. Some of the stuff in this house was crafted by him in his off time. Again wonderful work.

Greg

17. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Better late than never. Good work Marty. Love the knobs