Have you used this reel?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by joer, Dec 26, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Below is a link to a reel I'm looking at. I am wondering if anyone has used this type on the Missouri and if it will hold in heavy current? I have a 6000 that's a little weak in heavy current. I also own 7000's so I know their potential.

I know the 7000's are the way to go but I need to buy 3 reels and a trolling motor so the 7000's will put a big dent in my savings :sad2:.

Let me know your experience....thanks!

http://www.johnnyspond.com/abu-garcia-trophy-baitcast-series.html

BTW I'm buying each reel for $75!!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've caught some big fish on my A-G 6600 reels (70# is the biggest) and they took it, but I feel a lot better with the 7000 series reels. I don't have any worries about the reel itself, I just found myself fishing more current and started to get a bit nervous about the amount of line that the 6000 series reels hold.

I also had to replace the main gears in two or three of mine (I had 4). That was pretty much operator error from trying to reel in logs and pull big rocks off the bottom, though:smile2:.

The reels you're looking at will most likely work fine, my only comment would be to maybe run braid on them so you can get more yards of line on them.

Good luck with whichever reels you get and congrats on the new gear!

3. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I got a 6600, it works good. but I have had trouble with the reel handle nut after servicing the reel "some thread striping". Also, I think they are little over priced. I also have a shakespeare tidewater 30 that is bad a## for $35 dollars. It holds a lot of line and it casts great.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    The 6.3 to 1 ratio will tire you out if fishing big weigh and big bait. I got a deal on one on EBAY not too long ago for like $23 or so. The reels cast great and are solid, just that high gear ratio will give you more of a work out with big bait, or a big fish

5. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    James I thought the higher the ratio the better. I thought the ratio meant that every time you turn the handle 1 full turn is how many time's the spool turns? :confused2:

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thats right..he got it backwardsFor 1 handle turn that spool will tur 6.3 times..

7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    You guys are awesome!! Any and all input is great....I just want to make a good decision.:wink: Thanks again!

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No.....he didn't get it backwards.:smile2:

While it is true that you will retrieve more line per turn of the handle you will greatly lose torque! The lower the better for ratio when dealing with heavy current or big fish!:wink:

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    but if he puts a power handle on it it would reduce the tirednes...But your exactally correct...It will lose tourqe..I wasnt thinking about that...Thanks for setting my strait on that:smile2::smile2:

10. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I have been reading this thread. Good information.
    I have always wondered is the ratio brought about by smaller are bigger gears or spool diamater are both. Also the fuller the spool the higher the ratio. So as the retreive gets closer to the boat the faster the retreive?
    Have I got this right. Thanks for this tread.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, as the spool gets bigger (more line on it) you would retrieve more line per revolution. Not sure how it would effect the torque.

I thought about putting power handles on my 6600s but then the thought occurred to me that if I'm beating them up bad enough to strip main gears with the stock handles a power handle giving me more leverage would probably just be asking for more stripped gears:smile2:

12. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Look at the Penn 220 GTO, they are a great reel, very sturdy, all SS frame so no flex, hold a good amont of line and you can get good deals on them on ebay if you keep your eyes out, usually pick them up for about 60 bucks practically brand new on ebay. Just my 2 cents:wink:

13. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Get on ebay. I have bought 3 new 7000ics pro rockets for less than $100 each. It may take 2-4 weeks, but the deals are there.

14. goosed

goosed New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
  15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the info Willie. Welcome to the BOC.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no firsthand experience with that particular reel either. However, I have bought several Abu 7000's off ebay for a price of around 70.00. Think I'd look there and have the reel I want in the first place rather than spend a hundred now and still get the 7000 in the future. If you get something your not really satisfied with, you will fret and worry until you finally turn loose of the money to get what you wanted in the first place.

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    75.00 bucks is a good price . I love Abu reels how ever I do not have that one , but my son in law does . He has it on a 7 foot ugly stik mh . He has not had any problems with it . It is a work horse for sure and a great all around reel . The biggest catfish he has caught on it went around 20 pounds so anything bigger then that I could not say how it will do .

If it was me I would jump on them and find out for myself ...lol
    If you dont like it , you could resale it I am sure . Good luck with them and hope you enjoy them .

18. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    joer i have 3 7000i series abus and i like them real well i normally fish with the 6500 series have bout 6 of them and like them to:wink: 7000i run bout 130 bucks a peice if thats the one u r lookin at

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010