Have you tried this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Majesticman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was fishing the Mississippi in a chute. I couldn't catch anything on the bottom so I put on a floater and a night crawler and started putting it next to the bank 12 inches deep in 3 feet of water.

I nailed 12 fish in a little over an hour. I guess the fish were after food falling in. Try it sometime and tell me the results you get.

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i always get good results at the spillway

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I fish real shallow somtimes but without the bobber and no lead just hook and bait. It works well for bream and other small fish.

4. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The 12 fish were all cats about 2 to 3 pounders. Good eating size.

5. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds like you figured them out, congrats!!!!!!!!1

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    there are a few spillways out here along the canals. I guess the cats tend to congregate around them for all the mussels that get washed down into the holes.

7. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I always have good luck fishing close to the bank.

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    That's my typical spring time channel pattern along the rocks in my area. Glad it works for you too!

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When thier hungry they go to the table and its next to the shore. bugs and small bait fish, most people fish to far out from shore normally.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

wow I missed that part I can't say I ever did that consecatively like that

11. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is why I am wondering if this was just a lucky day or does it happen regularly? I would understand crappie but not cats.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Was this day or night?

I catch most of my fish at night in 2-3 feet of water, either fishing on the bottom or with lighted floats. I love to hear a splash and see the rod fold over at the same time!!!

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I have caught cats steadily off a float in shallow water.. Curious, when was the last rain you had? or is there some type of bug hatch comming on? .. I've been seeing a TON of jap beetles around last couple weeks. My last trip out, I found a bunch of shells my gills had puked up in the bottom of my tank.. May be after bugs or after 1the bait fish after the bugs...

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish with a bobber all the time the best i can see to use a slip bobber it works great set to any depth

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mark, I use to run what I call channel cat lines on the sand bars to catch a pile of fish in a hurry. I used 3 foot spacing on the hooks and would only put 25 hooks or less per line. I could see the pink eyes shinning when I ran the line they would be so shallow. I always did this at night thought. I have pulled up against the bank as you are talking about and caught the fire out of flat heads using live bait.

16. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It was about 5 in the afternoon.

Michael

Thanks for the trotline tip.

17. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    I like to fish up under the brush along the river. i've cought some good size cats like that.

18. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I have never tried this technique thanks for sharing it sounds useful especially if the bite dies off!

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Mark,I've been using that pattern the last few weeks.Channel cats came off the bed and were feeding heavy in the shallows during the am,8-11.I used a small bare jig with about 1 inch of nightcrawler about 1 foot under a float.Slowly retrieve along the bank.

Think it is over and they are back in a little deeper water,all I got the last 2 trips doing this was crappie,drum,bass,gills,and a old zebco r/r!!:big_smile:

20. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It was a cloudy day and was looking like rain. I wonder if they were waiting for goodies to get washed in by the rain?

Maybe the barometric pressure had something to do with it.