Have you tried Matzuo Sickle hooks?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ShilohRed, Jul 30, 2009.

Have you tried Matzuo Sickle hooks

1. Yes I use Matzuo Octopus Sickle hooks

2. No I don't use Matzuo Octopus Sickle hooks

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    A poll to see how many have tried the Matzuo Octopus Sickle hooks

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    Yes, and I love them. Awesome hook!

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I've been using them for 2 years, and think that they're the best hooks out there!

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    What gets me about them, Is even the 10/0 and 11/0's I have are just as sharp as the smaller ones.
    Wonder how in the world they can get a hook this sharp?
    Pete

5. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I voted no just because i haven't been able to order any yet. From what i hear i want to give them a shot.

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use them and they are sharp...real sharp

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I haven't tried them yet, but hear good things about them. I may try some next year for flathead season. I'll stick with Gamakatsu octopus circles for the blues.

Bill in SC

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use them. Great hook.

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't heard of these. Might have to look into them after this thread though!

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Justin we have them from 1/0 up to 11/0's There a great hook and when someone tries them. There hooked.
    http://wildwolfproducts.com/hooksred.html
    Pete

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    love'em they are sharp as all get out and tough too.

12. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have used them and they work great. They are very sharp. I have caught a few fish with them and point hasnt dulled any yet. Havent got to try out the 10/0 yet.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been looking at those I am interested in them. What type of hook would you compare them to? I know it says "big river" but I have never used those. Is it more like a kahle? Do they self hook when drifting like a circle?

14. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    Ive found that you have an option with these hooks you can set them yourself or let the fish do it! They are smaller then gama circles I would say about 1 or 2 sizes 7/0 is perfect for channels:cool2:

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is what's great about them. Set the hook, or let the fish do it for you.
    They do run a little small. But the 7/0's have caught fish over 50 lbs and still hook left.
    Pete

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've used 7/0 sickles, 8/0 Circles and 7/0 Live Bait hooks by Matzuo and all of them are razor edge sharp. Great hooks!

17. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I started using them after talking to Pete about them. Have used the 4/0, 5/0,7/0, and 10/0's. Definitely a good double action hook. My confidence while using them is up there and I don't hesitate on rigging one up. Have had a good hookup rate for all three species of cats, channels, blues and flatheads when I went after them. The 10/0's is a great hook for using larger baits when chasing the blues or flatheads. Actually great for getting a lot of barb exposed when fishing bigger baits, as sometimes is a major issue with other types of hooks.

The only real issue I have had with these sickle hooks is keeping them out of my fingers.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mike if you figure out how to keep from getting stuck with them. Please let me know, LOL Try counting out 1000 or so of them.:sad2: But man they also stick fish the same way.
    Guess your still wearing out the big fish with the 10/0 and 11/0 Sickle hooks?
    Pete

19. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Pete, i've only been down a couple times for the blues so far since I got them off ya, but my favorite time is coming quickly. I really enjoy the fall and winter fishing for the blues usually starting in October. Thats when I'll really be using those 10/0's. Summer time I'm chasing the channels, usually because of the blues spawn and then heavy recreational summer traffic.

Far as helping ya on the finger issues. Let me know how that turns out, I'll be interested . LOL

20. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Yes I have and yes I do. LOL! Just remember one thing. When ya snell em you are gonna bleed. LOL!