Have you read a good book?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Deltalover, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I love to read! I rarely go anywhere with out a book to read. Naturely, I have one every fishing trip. My favorite of last year was a book called "Jackass Brandy" by Bruno Buti. It is a true story about the bootleggers of the bay area and central valley of calif, during prohibition. Apparently this region was notorious for bootleggers and crooked cops! Lot of really funny stuff in these local foothills! Some of my favorite fiction writers, of which I have every book, would be Elmore Lenord, John Grisham and Louis l 'Amour. Other favorite writers are, Henry David Thoreau, William Berry, James Hall, Kate Wilhelm and Ralph Waldo Emerson. What are your favorites?

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Awesome thread!

Favorite Authors:

Ayn Rand
    Stephen King
    Diana Gabaldon
    Gregory Maguire
    Anne Rice

Favorite Books:

Watership Down
    The Color Purple
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Jane Eyre
    Wuthering Heights
    (Anything)...for Dummies

3. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Oh, and how could I forget cookbooks?

Mark Bittmans How to Cook Everything
    Thomas Keller The French Laundry Cookbook

4. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I have always liked to read.
    My favorite Authors are:
    Stephen King
    Larry McMurtry
    Patricia Cornwell

I am currently into the "First North American Series" by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tom, check out Don Coldsmith, he had a Saga called Trail of the Spanish Bit, awesome saga.

My favorite book right now is called Dreams 2 Destiny by Joeseph S. Jones

Means a little more to me since I know the author.

6. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I read, probbaly not as much as others but I am only into biographys, history and fishing books.
    My latest book that I purchased to read is called "The Freshwater Angler" and my latest history book is about the war of 1812.

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    BTW, I finished "A Milllion Little Pieces" about a month ago. This book is excellent, despite all of the negative publicity it's author (James Frey) is getting. The controversy is that the book is supposed to be a memoir, however much has been exaggerated and elaborated upon. I would recommend it to anyone.

8. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Any of John Sandford's books in the "prey" series (Winter Prey being my favorite) are great detective/crime novels.

"Transfer of Power" by Vince Flynn is a thrilling novel where the white house is taken over by terrorists and all the chaos that ensues (it was written pre 9/11 - in 1999 I believe, but the parallels to the response are amazing). I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I could go on and on, but there are a couple.

9. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just finished reading the 4 books by Dan Brown, last one was Angels and Demons.

I like John Kellerman, some of Grishams, still working down the list of books by Randy Wayne White.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    If you want to read some military based books that are great take a look at W.E.B. Griffin's books. I've read nearly all of them. I like Dale Brown too and Tom Clancy is my favorite when he's writing his own books. I've got a ton of these books.

11. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I used to read alot but haven't in a long time. Dean Koontz used to be my favorite. Still have a half read book sitting on the shelf. This may sound funny or off a little but since I stopped the book half way through I can't help thinking the characters are just kind of hanging there wondering when I will pick up the book again so they can get on with their lives/story. :rolleyes:

Should start reading again as my brain is getting stale.

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have also read most of John Sandford books. Here are some books that I have been looking to aquire, Sabertooth : The Rip Roaring Adventures of a Legendary Game Warden and True Adventures of Game Wardens and the Outlaws They Pursue, by Terry Hodges, also Wildlife Wars, The Life and Times of a Fish and Game Warden, by Terry Grosz.

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I'm not a huge book reader by anymeans,but the last book i read was UnderBoss about Sammy The Bull,thats the guy who brought down the Mafia in the late 80's early 90's good book.Alot of insight as to how ruthless they really were

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Personal favorite would be Stephen King and E. A. Poe. I like scary books. Throughout school Ive read many of the "classics", but dont remember any of them. For outdoors books, anyone interested in tracking owes it to themselves to check out Tom Brown JR's, The Tracker, and The Science and Art of Tracking.

15. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Just got done reading Craig Nelson's "The First Heroes". It was about the Doolittle raid on Japan in WWII. I won't read anything that isn't historical in some way shape or form.

Ray

16. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I enjoy reading books about fishing, shooting(Ultimate Sniper) and survival books. The reason why I enjoy reading these types of books is that they can help you in a vareity of ways, you know self improvement books.

chris

17. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

Check out 'Marine Sniper' about Carlos Hathcock. I've nearly memorized that book from reading it so many times.

I don't read as much as I should but enjoy Vietnam war stories. Right now I have on my nightstand a couple of Frederick Forsyth books and a Robert Ludlum book. I've read several Ludlum books. I like action/adventure stories. I'll read like crazy for a few months and then go a few months without reading much. Life happens in between.

I've read some Dale Brown and Tom Clancy. I've read a couple by Stephen King. Some spooky stuff goes through that man's mind! LOL I've read lots of John Grisham's books and the last one was The Last Juror. About a year ago. I'm attempting to read Avenger by Forsyth right now but haven't made much progress. I'll get there.

There is so much great reading out there. And so little time...

18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to but some of my favorites include
    The Dune stories by Frank Herbert
    Anything by J.P. Donleavey, Herman Hesse.
    The Vampire Chronicles
    Touching The Void and This Game Of Ghosts by Joe Simpson
    Anything by Bill Bryson
    ...W

19. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have read quite a few louis lamaur (spell check)westerns
    he had a way of holding my interest very good.
    i enjoyed everyone of his i read save one and i think it wasnt as cowboyish and he started out on a more modern story or something and i never gave it a try .
    the lord of the rings trilogy and the hobbit are very good reading

i started in on a book a girlfriend gave me once and lost the book and never finished it it was about the good vs evil as witnessed on a farm by a rooster and i think his name was chauncler or something similar
    it seemed like it was going to be a good book.
    anyone ever heard of this?
    :confused:

20. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have read thousands of books. Taste has changed over time. Used to read a lot of science fiction when I was in high school. Years later I found out that the books my English teachers wanted me to read were actually very good. Books by authors like Steinbeck, Hemmingway, Thomas Hardy, Dickens, Milton, and others.

Now some of my favorite authors are: Faye Kellerman, Jonathon Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell, Stephen White, James Patterson, Lawrence Sanders, Clive Cussler, John D. McDonald, Larry McMurtry, Sue Grafton, James W. Hall, Tony Hillerman, Louis L'Amour, Luke Short, and Lewis Grizzard.

Of course, when I think of favorite authors, noone can compare to Mark Twain. No other writer has had the ability to use words the way he did. If you have never done so, and you get a chance, you should see Hal Holbrook portray Twain. It was great.