Have you noticed?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fwmud, Oct 7, 2005.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Has anyone besides me noticed this?
    More and more often, a few on and off will post that they practice and evidently condone,illegal fishing habbits.
    Now just my two cents,I think that this is about as far off base as you can get here.
    We (the BOC) to the best of my limited knowledge, are here to promote good fishing habbits. To insure that rules and regulations that are in place are followed and practiced. Not as a Game warden but as an un-offical ambassador. Our sport has enough "anti's" against it already.
    Trashy people who fish for cats, leave a bigger mess than what they found,
    try to single-handedly desimate the catfish population by harvesting all,or even so far as to sell what they catch.
    I don't know about you,but, to my way of thinking,this throws a big red flag up for me.
    Isn't the BOC founded and dedicated to promoting,educating and inspiring the sport of catfishing? (This is not a CPR rant)
    Some of you who have been here longer than I , please speak up.
    Paul is still gone so you guys jump in and help me or correct me. Which ever is the right thing.
    I've never said/impplied that I was perfect or knew it all. I won't start now so please, show me I'm on the right track or point me in the right direction.
    Thanks yall,
    Keith

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Keith,

I whole heartedly agree with you. I NEVER like reading in a post that someone has done something illegal, or would like to do something illegal.

3. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Keith, I'll second it. Good post, brother.

4. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    You know im right behind you on this one brother, me tryin to get into being a CO i dont agree with at all in any way shape or form illegal fishing or anything, now i ant perfect either but i agree with what you are sayin a hundered percent and im not tryin point fingers or quesiton what the mods but i have seen some people on here that arent helping the sport if anything they are harming it.

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Keith,

I am not saying that I am perfect, I have broken the law before, mostly on accedent. Like last year I fished a body of water with two poles that was designated as a 1 pole area. i didn't even think about it and paid a $150.00 dollar fine for my "brain fart". I did the crime, so I paid the fine with out coplaining.

Incidents like that in my opinion happen to all of us at one time or another and anyone wanting to share those stories, no problem. No if you are blatentl breaking the law day in and day out and you have no regards for the effect that you could be having on the sport then i am in agreement with you. Go somewhere else. I wan tfishing and hunting to still be there for my kids, not ruined because of selfish people.

-Brian

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    :thumbsup: Man, Chuck you are on a role! Another post, right on the money!

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    We all should be following the laws of the states and or bodies of water that we are fishing. As an example for the Ohio Gathering in May I had questions on how many poles I could use and was told different answers, I emailed ODNR to ask was given the correct answer.

8. Southernraised84

State:
    Chuck you took the words right out of my mouth.I swear i was gonna post something along those lines great post once again iwoul d give you and kieth some rep points but it said i have to spread them out first....lol.I agree with that hundered percent i say we do it.

9. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    It would be hard to enforce but the thought behind it is that we lead the way in our sport and make it clear that we as sportsman do not condone or allow the breaking of the conservation laws. It would be made clear that the BOC is the example for others to follow not that we arnt already. In my opinion it would make others think just like you to find out what the laws are before breaking any. I can understand a mishap and don't have a problem with it. I am simply referring to the blatant disregard for what the Brotherhood stands for and we should always remember that we are representing everyone on this site when we fish.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You folks put it a hell of alot more gracefully than I would have. I get so fed up with things sometimes I could scream. LOL! I'll read a bit of the thread or post,shake my head and log off. I'm sure ya have noticed my posting has dropped considerabley. One other thing. There ain't a whole lot of readin of a thread like there needs to be. Folks seem to react to the most recent post on a thread and thats it! LOL! I'm kinda feelin like somethin is missin from this new site that exhisted on the old one. Thanx for your time. LOL.

11. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

The only way that it could truely be enforced would be through other BOC members reporting the violations. Meaning brother's fishing with brother's would have to enforce that which I would hope they already do, but if they're not then I doubt that they would turn each other in.
    -brian

12. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I dont think thats what he meant central but I could be wrong.

13. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

Not a problem, i was just clarifying the situation.. ;)

-brian

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I can see where this will get heated a little…LOL But hey I have to add my 2 bits worth here so here we go.

As far as kicking someone off the site because of it no because we all make mistakes but, if it becomes a habit or if there is a big pattern to this type of behavior, then yea maybe, Pulling there post that I can see and send them a email reminding them that they need to watch what they do or say on the site. I don’t claim to be perfect nor will I. I have paid a fine for fishing in part of a off limits area of a lake once but I did not see a sing that was posted because someone hit it with their truck. I was not aware that that part of the lake was off limits due to a Eagle nesting site and it was not posted on the lake information paper I had. Cost me $50.00 not a real big deal and there was a sign posted at the launch that stated fishing near Eagle nesting site was off limits, but I never saw the sign from the boat because it was laying on the ground. Hey my bad.

But I will say something if I see a post talking about something illegal and them doing it just for fun any way. No that is a flat disrespect for the law and or rules. That I will not put up with nor will I allow to be done on my boat. That stand has cause a few issues with me and my brother in-law and the wife has even gotten involved from time to time. So I fix that he don’t go out on the boat with me any more simple. He can pay his fines and lose his gear not mine. If I will hold my ground and cause that kind of issue here at home I will hold to it here on the site as well.

Yes they should be chastised and chastised hard, kicked off the site no I don’t think so, pull that post oh yea and quick. But that is me, by the way I do need a fishing partner from time to time as my brother in-law wont go with me any more. Any one want to go??

15. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't read everthing on this site but I've never seen anyone post about illegal fishing practices. What kind of illegal practices are you talking about. For instance.

16. Southernraised84

State:
    I dont think any one on here said they were perfect.I agree with jim on this one if you are doing it and know what you are doing then yeah but if you make a mistake and have to pay a fine or whatever then no. But i have to say i dont

17. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thats what I'm talking about if you are doing it knowingly and constantly then you should not be a posting that on the the BOC. IMO, because that is not the standard that we want to portray. Now as for a mistake they happen even to the best of us as Jim said. I'm not for anyone breaking the conservation laws and getting away with it if I find out I will call the wardens.

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Catfish it has happened twice in the last few weeks, once in the Grouper fishing threat and once in the Shark thread. I don’t think the grouper thread was quite worded right and it might have just been a misunderstanding however there was no question about the post made in the Shark thread if you ask me. However you will have to read both treads and judge them for yourself as I cannot and will not tell you how to interpret the post.

19. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    It also happened in anouther thread as well besides those two.

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I read a thread where the guy admitted to using goldfish where it was illegal and seemed proud of getting away with it and talking about it here on the boc. Not all rules seem fair or even appropiate in certain situations, but 90% of the time there is a reason for that law. We are all responsible to make sure we know the law wherever we go, thats why they give out fishing and hunting regulations. Ive got to agree that willfull and intentional violation of of f @ w laws should is dead wrong, and should be reported where possible. Next to impossible to do but hopefully most of these people will leave on their own when they find out we wont put up with their crap.

Ive paid a fine myself, my fault totally. I relied on a "friend" to place the trash in a bag, which I normally take care of. Well he "forgot" and we both ended up with a ticket for 68.50. Not cool. Needless to say I dont fish or hunt with this guy anymore, he doesnt follow the rules and I dont want to be associated with people like that.