Have you had this happen

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfisher43, Sep 6, 2006.

1. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was camping on the fabius river here in missouri on saturday evening.caught 3 nice channel cats,left them in fish basket on the river.was planning to fish in the am.got down there the next morning,basket and fish were gone.im guessing turtles.what does everyone else think?

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Never happened to me brother. Sounds like someone or something had a great meal at your expense! LMAO! (not laughing at ya but with ya!)

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    If you had it staked out or tied down good, I don't see how turtles could have done it. I'd bet on some fish stealing people nearby. It's a shame.

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Sorry to hear that they came up missing, But boy did they taste Good.lmao

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I've seen turtles take stringers of fish, but I'd guess that a missing fish basket is the work of a racoon!!

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I was thinking people, coon are dog. I guess a big turtle could have though.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i stay mainly at state parks and thats the only problem ive ever encountered is loss of either fish or bait. Usually its bait cause i rarely use a stringer for fish cause its just ringing the dinnerbell for snakes.
    I havent whined too much about the bait loss, cause usually people will only take a little and not bait bucket and all. probably just undisciplined kids.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How you had it fast is the key to your question.

9. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive never had that happen personally. now ive had my clip for my minnow trap disappear but i think that was due to a human element.

10. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    fish stealing ppl or ive had this happen, the fish either can pull up or down on the part to open the basket up and get out. ive had that happen because i watched them. i also had a bad basket and the lid didnt pop back up and the fish swam out!

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Don't underestimate the ingenuity of a coon :004::0a10:

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yes I have and it's a bad deal, darn them fish stealers anyway

13. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Coons would be my first guess. they are strong and intelligent.......and they love fish! They've been in my boat a few times, stealing minnows,worms ,food, even wiped a tub of Old Whiskers clean enough to eat out of.

14. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Oh yea, and my second guess is it could have easily been otters too if you have them on the Fabius.

15. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    this was very secluded area,no one for miles on the river.thx for the feedback.

16. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    no thats never happend to me but i cought a nice 6 pound channel monday morning and went to take it off the stringer and it wasn't there. broke my stringer

17. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    happen to me when i lived in florida gators where responsible

18. mark senff

mark senff New Member

State:
    indiana
    coons are pretty smart when it comes to gettin food, but i'm not sure they would've taken the whole basket. i had a turtle bite a stringer in two once. what did you have the basket fastened with?

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Sounds like the work of a raccoon. I have actually watched one before open a minnow bucket and treat himself to a nice feast.

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Heh, I don't know, I've seen many a camping item get drug off by em.. I wouldn't put it passed em...