Have you had a catfish mounted?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JJHACK, Jul 17, 2006.

1. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    Wa. State and Elisrass RSA
    Lets see a photo of your mounted catfish. I've heard they are one of the most difficult to have mounted. I'm thinking about a fiberglass reproduction for my big one.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would love to have a replica mount done on a big flathead, I dont think I would have a regular mount done.

3. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    the only problem is the space I often thought about it but haven't done it

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would take measurements and pics and have a replica done. Just as good as the origional and that kitty can live longer to get bigger so more can enjoy the catch.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Take a piece of fishing line and measure the lenght of the fish with it, cut it to lenght. Take another piece of line and measure the widest part of the girth and cut to length. Stuff the line in your pocket or tackle box. You now have a acurate measurement of the fish. Take several quality photos of the fish and your taxidermest can now make you a quility replica.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is a nice easy way to measure and keep it on the water brother. Great idea, thanks.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    It's also hard to get a accurate measurement with a tape unless you have a soft tape. Then you have to write it down or try to remember what they were. Pull the fishing line out of your pocket when you get home and bingo you got it......

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Sorry guys I guess im one of the few people that have tried to get a trophy catfish mounted I called every taxidermists number that I could find since Jersey isnt known for its big catfish know one wanted or kn3ew what to do with it it I kept the fish alive in my bait tank out back for almost 24hrs I finally gave up and took him to a pond where I have put other fish that I was to tired to clean about an hour later a guy returning a message that I had left the day before said he would give it a shot and no money would be exchanged if he could not complete the mount in a way I was upset and in another way I was happy cause I had reflected on the act of killing a giant channel catfish just for show and I was happy to let him go. Some may say fish storry but the only pictures that I had have disapeared when my ex girlfriend moved out. there isnt a day that goes buy that I dont look for at least a couple minutes for those photos.For the record that channel wieghed 26.8 pounds from JERSEY!!!!!

9. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    man we have a guy that does the replicas here and he does an amazeing job thing looks like a real fish I will try to get pics of it when the wife comes home the fish he did was a big flattie chasin a gill

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Sorry I have never tried mounting a catfish. Even though I am known and admired far and wide for my skills at catching big ones they have proved to be to slimy and difficult to stay on for a man of my advanced years.Perhaps some of you younger guys with rodeo experience would have better luck!:big_smile: :wink: :smile2: JERSEYCAT WOW that is a monster from your waters.The bad news is the pictures disappeared the good news is so did your ex girlfriend.WHat kind of mean ,cruel ,vindictive woman would make off with a mans pictures of a giant Channel?:angry: Besides the mount didnt turn out to bad it just looks like a big striper.:smile2: :big_smile:

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    hey Jim that was true about the girlfriend and funny as he!! about the striper

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    John I have discussed it with several taxidermists and the consenus is there is something in the catfish skin that causes it to deteriorate rapidly as opposed to the scaled fishes.Most will tell you it isn't worth what you would spend for one.I have seen some years and years ago before replica mounts and they all looked terrible,but I have seem many beautiful replicas down around Santee.:big_smile:

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd much rather have a high qaulity reproduction made. That fishing line idea for measurments sounds really good too. I've seen some catfish mounts and they never look that great to me.

14. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My thoughts exactly. The only difference would be if it was a record for the state, in which case it will be on a stringer until the state rep showed up.

15. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    From the few I've seen (reproductions) in the Bass Pro shops I would take one of those in a heart beat. I think those bass pro shops guys use a good taxidermist to make their repo's.

I was looking up at the wall of fish in the Dallas BPS and those channels and flatheads were pretty darn good looking. The guy from Bass Pro told me they all came from the same taxidermy shop in Missouri. They do all the fish for every store. They had Channel cats from 5 to what looked like well over 30 pounds mounted in there.

I'm gonna call them and see about getting that 17.5 pounder done up. I'll not likley ever catch a bigger catfish then that in my lifetime. At least not in Washington state!

16. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Catfish have to be skinned and freeze dried I had one done [ wish now I would have had a replica done ] it took almost a year for the whole process to be done and for me to get the fish to my wall .I have had this fish for almost 5 yrs now and it still looks good . Will try to attach a photo , if this does'nt wor go to all my threads it is in there .
    Brian
    Sorry could not get the file moved to this post

17. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I would ever catch a big Flathead, I'd like a replica mounted in a glass coffee table with tree limbs and a bass that she is about to eat. The flat I have caught I could have made into a paper weight.

18. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i would think the catfish skin should be tanned like leather instead of processed like a regular fish skin. I would go for the fiberglass mount. I like the idea of measuring with the string as i don't always have the tackle box with the flexible tape measure with me.

19. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I used to do taxidermy and when I was taking my studies for it ,they said we couldn't mount catfish or salt water fish bacause of the oil they had in thier skin..

20. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    I do quite a lot of Big Game taxidermy, but no fish. The shop guy doing fish skin mounts does a heck of a lot of saltwater fish here. No problems with the oil except in the heads of salmon. He replaces those with fiberglass heads. Funny thing is that the only part of the fish you caught is the body skin and the fins. Might as well get the whole thing done in fiberglass and not worry about it!

Regarding the freeze drying process. it was mentioned that the catfish must be skinned. That's not actually correct. You must only remove the organs with a small belly incision. Freeze drying takes all the moisture out of the meat which does not need to be removed.

We have a small freeze dry machine here which we do habitat items with and peoples pets. Parakeets, ferrets, rats, parrots, snakes, frogs, all the little stuff can be done in this by simply removing the organs, posing them with pins and braces and then they freeze dry about a month or two. The amphibians come out 100% perfect and we only remove the guts, refill the cavity and then paint them. I would guess a catfish would work the same...........except it might take a hella powerful Freeze dry machine to get it done in a month. It would also take a hella big machine to fit a big cat in there!