Have you guys started Shed huntin yet?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bjorn, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Bjorn

Bjorn New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been out a couple times so far but no luck. It looks like about half of the deer have dropped their antlers now so I started poking around a little bit but not too hard. How have you guys done?

2. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I live in SW VA and got lucky this past weekend. We had the first snow of the season earlier last week and I took the opportunity to go back to the woods to follow tracks. I found a trail that led to some pretty thick stuff, mostly laurels and pines. Sure enough, I found one shed. It was a heavy 4-points, but I couldn't find its match. I could have followed the tracks farther but in addition to snow, we also had a blast of the coldest temps and this chased me back to my Jeep. I'm hoping to get out again this coming weekend to resume my search. I saw a road-kill buck that had the fresh scabby patches from a recent shed, so they're dropping off around here. Good luck to you.

Mike

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    never done it. dont taste very good. i have a relitive thats in his 70's. his bed room is full. some almost world class. he lives in timbers shed and mushroom hunting.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Haven't found one yet this year,got some snow on the ground now so will try again.
    Have never found a match set of sheds,but have found a few skulls with a full set attached

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    This saturday is the final day of deer hunting in my parts that is unless I visit a farm thats part of the red tag program (for crop damage control). Then I'll be out shed hunting and scouting out some new areas I havent been to yet.

6. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen 4 bucks in the last 2 days here in Ohio and they all still had full racks.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no good yet still lookin

8. jrbb00

jrbb00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Not for another month down hear but in do time. Still have good horns and bucks after yearling does. Middle of Feb. will get started.

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Most of our bucks still have their horns and the snow is too deep for easy finding right now. We start looking in March and April....

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i usually do better finding sheds in late Feb or the beggining of March but i am going to start looking hard next week.....GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE I HOPE YOU FIND A MONSTER!!!!

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have done very little shed hunting in the past, but I may hit it hard this year.
    I want a nice pair for rattling! :big_smile:

12. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here in my part of Va. we usually wait until mid Feb. We still have alot of bucks holding horns in Jan.