Have you ever lost a treestand on private land?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by perrycounty.in, Nov 8, 2009.

Have you ever lost a treestand on private land?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just sitting here thinkin of the 2 treestands Ive lost in the last 2 years and was wondering how many of you have ever went to your stand and it was gone when you got there. Ive lost 2 stands the past 2 years on private ground that Ive hunted for 25 yrs. and until 2 yrs ago I never lost any of my stands. Both of the one's I lost came off different properties, one was a api climber that i thought i had hidden well and another was a 20' buddy stand that was up for 2yrs before it got stolen. You just can't trust people to leave your stuff alone anymore.

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I voted yes, but the stand wasn't actually mine.

Me and a buddy had permission on some property, put up our stands, and waited for the season to arrive. First time out, headed into the woods, my buddies stand was on the way to mine so we walk in together, only to find his gone. Mine was still there, luckily.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've lost a couple on private ground. Wouldn't be pretty if i caught them walkin out with it.:confused2:

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana

Im with ya, I gurantee they wouldn't be walkin out of the woods if I was to catch someone redhanded me and my brother was talkin about that today.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nope, never lost one but I've took a many off of trees or even crushed them by felling the tree they were in.
    Sold a many a treestand I found on private land.

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Yes, lost a Tree Lounge that was not 1/4 mile from my house in the middle of my farm, a least 1/2 mile in any direction from that stand to any public road.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have lost a few and even found them relocated on the same private property... its crazy that a man cant hardly keep private property private anymore...

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunted my friends farm for 15 years with no trouble, then the ATVs came. I checked the place on Wed. afternoon, and the next Saturday 4 stands were gone.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It seems like, in my youth, my tree stands were a few boards I carried to the woods and fastened to the fork of some limbs with wire. Now I'm older, and I guess a little bit better off financially, I look at and wonder about these modern tree stands sold all over the place. Heck, its no wonder they are stolen...actually they are just redistributing the wealth. Bet no one would bother some old boards wired in a tree fork. LOL

10. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've lost more than I'd like to admit to. A couple were on ground that I was the only one to have permission to be on. People have no respect for property anymore. A person works his whole life to get something nice so he can enjoy what he likes to do, only to have some lowlife a**hole take it from him.

11. bigfordtruck

bigfordtruck New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I just had a stand and a trail cam walk off the cam hadn't been out a week it is crazy a man can't keep his stuff on his own property the only thing they left was my chain I had it locked in with

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Answered yes to this poll!! Thankfully I only lost one, but it was a fairly expensive stand. It was set up on private property that adjoins public hunting ground. Now I padlock the stand(s) to the tree. Just a smater way of setting up!! Game cams are a great way of detecting tresspassers to as long as they're concelled and theft proof.

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Stands ant so bad I chain em so its deturs em some. But whats bad is when they steal a Good pop up ground blind I got set up for kids to hunt out of. They took the lawn chairs and even the shooting tipods I made out of cut saplings and a lil trot line cord. @#(*_@!#*_!#*@~ meth heads!!! How the heck they found the blind on pvt property in the middle of it with a fence around it and a locked gate I will never know. But deer stand theiving is getting worse now.

14. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have not lost one thank god. But I use a bike lock every time I put one up.

15. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    around here its been bad for years,i've had several stolen.padlocking them to the tree does nothing to deter these theives,there's actually people that go around here in search of deer stands with bolt cutters.and if someone marks a trail from the road to their stand with ribbon or reflectors they'll follow straight to the stand.marked or not they normally findem if they're on the prowl.i've long stopped marking a trail.mostly meth heads not honest hunters in my oppinion.:angry:

16. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep, I've lost a couple, aint much worse than a thief

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Never lost one hope I never do .

18. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have lost one it was a cheap homemade ladder stand made out of emt conduit.I had to make one for my machine shop class.I had it on a private farm I used to hunt.After I bought my small property , I made four ladder stands from treated lumber.They weigh over 80 pounds each and they are still there.I mostly hunt from my summit python climber.I only leave it when I will return within 24 hours.
    I have found three homemade metal ladder stands on me before.One guy shoot a deer out of my neighbors field while on my property.:angry:Luckily my neighbor saw him and called me.He was gone with the deer when I arrived.He did call me wanting them back , when I asked his name "before caller ID" he wouldn't tell me.I begged him to come to my house and pick them up ,but He never did.:wink:I ended up giving two of them away to a young boy and his dad who lives close.They didn't realy have the money to spend on a tree stands.Thats been 20 years ago and they still thank me everytime I run into them.:big_smile:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We have a farm we own that I used to find alot of stands on.
    I used to pull em out, go to the store and sell them in the parking lot. Hell I'd sell em back to the original owner.
    That was one deciding factor in deciding to timber it.
    Too many people were getting in there and hiding.

At work our plant is on 800 acres. One of my jobs is walking the woods.
    I'm looking for treestands, pot fields, etc.
    Found some stands and a helluva lot of dead deer. They killing em and cutting the heads off then leaving them laying.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  20. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    That makes me mad as well.There is a dry creek that follows the road past my farm.I have found many deer with the heads cut off and the rest just left to ruin.They throw them down the shoulder of the road to fall in the creek.We have plenty of deer thats for sure , but to waste them like that is pathetic.Some of the ones I have seen couldn't have even been a decent buck by body size.I guess they see antlers thru their spotlight and hope they are monsters.I can understand a person harvesting deer illegaly if it is causing property damage or they are needing to feed a family.Just to kill them because they have a rack is crazy.