Have you ever heard of someone doing this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wvcatfisherman, Jul 22, 2009.

1. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My uncle and some of his buddies went to the ohio river fishing. I figured that they would fish with bait like I do. nope. They tie on big treble hooks with big sinkers and they throw out as far as they can. They reel until they feel the sinker hit something soft, then they give it a big jerk and snag the fish!! I told him that that isn't even fishing. That takes all the fun out of it.I personally think it is unethical too.:angry::angry::angry: I hope that nobody else snags fish this way. I would have to look down upon anyone that did. Lets hear some thoughts.

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Although I have never snagged it is a common practice around dams.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    To me, it takes the fun out of it:wink:

4. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't think it's legal in some states to keep certain species of fish if they are snagged.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not something I would do, takes the fun out of it for me.

6. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    here in Iowa it is legal to snag carp like that but anything else you catch that way has to be thrown back I don't really have an opinion as for ethics of it one way or the other as long as people are throwing back all of the flatties and channels that they catch and they dont throw back any turtles that they might catch.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That aint fishing for me either!:sad2:.

8. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Ya lots of people try and do that around the dam where I live but they get sneaky. Extra long leaders with beads or yarn as bait. I had never fished the river before and my friend who took me showed me how to fish the unethical way and I didn't really understand this for a while. I would occasionally feel a shad or something else take the bead and I would catch em but I would also accidently snag salmon and I didn't realize it was my setup until someone told me better. Alota people here throw a fat sinker and a long leader right into the dam boiler and as soon as it hits bottom they give a couple cranks and like rip their rod hopin to hook something. I was actually trying to drift my bait and I was hooking the salmon in their mouth but I learned later that my line was flossin em thru the mouth and hookin em. Well thats old news and I changed my river fishing techniques totally since then but ya I totally know about this topic because I've been exposed to it firsthand. I thought the fish were super smart and you had to keep your bait that far away from your weight haha. Salmon and steelhead both love yarn and beads for some reason so people who try and act like anyone who uses them is a snagger is wrong, it just depends how you use it.

9. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    ethically, if you're going for keeper fish to eat, then i don't mind it. it wasn't THAT long ago in human history that people had to do whatever they could for food, but... I wouldn't do it myself, but to each their own. Now since i've never done it, maybe i'm not in the KNOW, but i can't imagine you'd be very successful doing that.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It is illegal here and if I saw someone do it id be talking to the Wildlife Department and takeing names and auto tags. :angry:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Heres a thought. Get a big arse treble hook and put a cheesebuger on the end of it. Toss it in thier liveing room. When ya feel somethin on it rear back on the line. :wink:

12. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If it is legal in the area go for it. There is nothing NOT fun about catching fish!!! I get tired of all the "holier than thou" types out there!!!!!!!

13. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I used to do it with a 15' surf rod and a penn 320 gti and a 6-10oz weight and a trebel hook about 3" dia , I could cast a good 250 yards or better, its real fun when ya SNAG a 15-20 pounder in the tail,,,, they can really run!!!!

14. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Far, far too much work. I fish for relaxation and the thrill of "outwitting" the fish. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!

15. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you can do it here but it has to be within 100 feet of a dam, and you can only keep cats,gar,drum. no bass no paddle fish no sturgen. i dont myself but i know those who do. i aint fishin, its snaggin.... any idiot can snag something. it takes skill to locate, pattern, then catch a fish. only then is it fullfilling. now, if we went down in some plane crash, and all we had to eat was each other { like that soccer team in the 70s that crashed in the andes} then snagging would be alright.

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I really don't know what your talking about..I never even heard of snaggin till I moved up here to Tennessee..But I'm like most of you guys I tend to think it takes the fun out of it..Thats one of the reasons I love fishing so much its the challenge..

17. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    they snaggin all the time around here, spillway at darbonne, the dam at toledo bend, hell i have seen um on desaird snaggin gar.

18. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've never heard of doing it for cats but I've known of people doing it for bait. They used several treble hooks along a long leader.

Seems like a lot of work. I wouldn't think cats would congregate thick enough to be very successful.

One thing about it though, if you do snag a big fish, it will be a good fight. Fish will fight harder if hooked in the side or tail than in the mouth because they can stay facing away from you.

19. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've heard it being done but myself I would not even fool with trying.

20. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    Kinda seems like to much work for me. The best part of catfishin is sittin back and relaxin. I know most snaggin goes on in spillways below dams, and those fish are all there to eat. So why go through all the hassel of cast, retreive, cast, retreive... Can't really say its wrong, just not my style.