Have you ever had your favorite spot ruined by a flood?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 24, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A few years ago we had a big flood in January, my favorite hole was over 25 feet...I went to fish it in the spring that year and it was completly filled in, I could walk on sand which was once 25 feet of water.

I cried like a baby:smile2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bet it happened the same year.. I lost many spots a few years back because of the same scenario. And it honestly even changed the river system in terms of boating in places as well. The river channel shifted, and alot of places I used to fish that were slack water areas in highwater even washed in ...rollo

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey jack ,im sure you know where salt creek runs into the scioto...in the late 90s the bank was pushed back i would say 80 yards to the railroad tracks by flood water,:sad2: its still somewhat of a good fishery thou

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    After the same flood that year I found a spot that used to be very shallow now it is 35 feet deep off the main channel in a some slack water. Very nice spot now.

5. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I m new to fishing an heard guys talk about spots chaning do to high water .Now with highwater last year.I seen alot of sand wash in to my familys spot .That we would take a boat ride to .So we could skip rocks an collect rocks an shells.This spot isnt very family frienly now.:sad2:

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    actually bad news Good news lost one place filled a hole around 12 feet deep on the great miami but went down lets say 50 yards where it was shallow before it was over 20 feet deep better place to fish. God knows how to make a Good catfish hole amen

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lost my best hole during that same flood Jack. hole was at least 100 yards long, filled with great structure and averaged 35ft deep. most of it now a huge sandbar:sad2: good thing though is that same flood created several new spots closer to home so i guess it wasnt so bad.

8. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    Our favorite spot below thw Quincy dam Missouri side is now a 12' sand bar out of the water.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rivers are breathing beings they never stay the sme shoot if it dont break yer heart though:eek:oooh:

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    wow,never fished the rivers,so wouldn't know what that is like,lol

but at least it sounds like it makes new holes that might be possibly better,though

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    same thing happened here last spring cept it was gravel that filled in a hole that i fished a lot.

12. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    this year is going to be interesting with how low some of the rivers have gotten, how the snow melt and ice melt will affect the rivers this year and we are sure to get our annual rain and flood this spring, the rivers are ever changing which makes things difficult especially when you get used to fishing on hole that is awsome and yet you come back the next season to find it basicly gone, but somewhere it has created an even better fishing hole that noone knows about, the scouting begins very soon :smile2:

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You know if the water didn't change the river there would only be a few spots guarded by old timers with guns. It is probably a good thing to keep people honest and looking for new spots. It does suck when it is YOUR spot that washes out though :(

14. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a good point. It keeps evryone on there toes.

15. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You never fish the same river twice. A lot of holes that get filled in will eventually get dug back out when the water goes down if the conditions which created them still exists.

16. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    YEP.........my favorite spot on the Tusc River died after we had flooding.........all of the good brush washed out of the hole and it just didnt produce nearly as many fish or bites as it did the previous year !!!