Have you ever had your deer leave the country??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BLKCLOUD, Dec 11, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'm not kidding..I reckon all but 1 doe and 3 babies have completely left my farm..the turnip patch on top of the hill has turnips a foot tall and no deer tracks any where..I finally put up my game cam on the best worn trail i have and...no kidding..in 2 weeks not a single picture..'cept me looking down at the cam to see if it was workin..i have never seen anything to beat this..:confused2:

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Sounds like something has run them out of the area like maybe abunch of wild dogs or a big cat. Keep your game tracker out maybe you'll see something. The doe and Fawns must be bedding close to your house.
    Only thing I can think of.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Might want to look for coyotes,those will will make your deer disappear pretty quick.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    How many acres is your farm?

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Keith, we have about 18 does that hang around the house. You will see them everyday for awhile then they just disapear to parts unknown for a week or two then they show back up:confused2:.

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    During the deer season of '06, my hunting partner and I went to his family's farm by Ringling, Oklahoma. We usually go out there and see dozens of deer each time out. The deer on that place are very thick. To see 40 deer on a single wheat field isn't unheard of. We didn't see a single deer one whole weekend. We went back a few weeks later and didn't see but 2 does all weekend. We were completely stumped.

On the last day, my hunting buddy went and set up a pop-up blind in a clearing by the highway where we always see deer moving through in the mornings. Right before daylight, he said he saw a pack of animals move through the far side of the clearing. I asked him if they were hogs or coyotes, and he said neither.... he said they were very light colored & looked like coyotes, but were about 3X or 4X as big as coyotes. I said "wolves?" I thought he was kidding. He said "well, you asked & that's what I saw". He wouldn't tell anybody else but me, but he has no doubt about what he saw. I've seen a picture of one wolf killed in Oklahoma, and if the gov't trapper here in our county hadn't seen it and taken pictures of it dead, I wouldn't have believed it.

There are lots of things that can make deer vanish off a property. Predators, too much activity, natural deer movements, or someone intentionally sabotaging your hunt. I know one fella who went and sprayed some "deer be gone" type of liquid all over a guy's ranch, and spread hair from the barber's shop underneath all their feeders. Cleared the deer off their ranch for months. He was doing it for payback on a disagreement. Weird things can happen.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive seen them running to the next county laughing at me the whole way but never up and dissappear with out a forwarding address. the foodplot at my mother in laws always has tracks, we may not see them during legal time all the time but They never joined the witness protection program like yours did. Sorry.

8. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is a pretty common occurance here in north western North Carolina. After about the second week of rifle season they all disappear. I live in a very rural part of the state and it is not unusual to see at least 5-10 deer every day regardless of the time of day or night on the 5 mile stretch of road out to the state owned highway near my house but they have also disappeared. I am doing good to see one or two a week now only late at night.

9. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Could be grey coyotes they look alot like wolfs but are not.look them up on the web and see if thats what they looked like.And i believe they are a bit bigger.I had a female have a litter under a shed i had and couldnt figure out what it was until i got ahold oh one of our fish and wildlife folks and he told me what it was.He told me if i left them alone in a few weeks after the pups got big enough they would move on and sure nuff they did.I looked them up to be sure he wasnt lying and he wasnt.Sounds like this my be the case here.The grays can even climb trees.

10. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I think you have a herd of BIGFEET!!!!!:smile2:

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    we're familiar with all types of coyotes that are indiginous to this part. we call coyotes a lot around here. this guy I was hunting with was a woodsman & ain't one to stretch the truth. he hasn't told anybody but me & his dad about what he saw.

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this is a common occurence around here. it's called gun season. the deer around here always go down to the river bottoms. and dont move much from there. there in the hardest to reach spots hiding out. you'd be lucky to see a deer in a field during daylight hours after the gun season. give them a couple weeks. they'll be back..

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Have had the same thing happen. The more coyote tracks I see the less deer tracks I find. Coyotes are the worst thing that has happened to deer to me.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sometimes favorite food sources can change their travel patterns. Also as cold weather comes that can too change their travel. Chances are they haven't gone too far. Nuts were scarce here this yr. and the deer are about 1/4 mile from their usual bedding sites. I think they have found someones feeder.

15. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Thats true they could have just found a better feeding area for the time being,diggin into it before its gone cause of weather.Good post.

16. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    sprayed some "deer be gone" type of liquid all over a guy's ranch,

Now I don't guess I have ever heard of such ...wonder what it was??

17. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Like a lot of you said, gun season scares the deer into hiding here also. We've got a lot of people not seeing many deer this year, but its not because of gun season Its a disease called "Blue Tongue". It has something to do with gnats and the lack of rain we've had this year. One guy has counted over 100 deer dead on his farm, and they haven't hardly even seen a deer to shoot. The deer just drop dead. A few deer survive, and when they do, their hooves curl up on the end.