Have you ever caught a Flathead catfish? Y N or Not Sure

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Sep 2, 2008.

Have you ever caught a Flathead?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not sure

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    It took me a long time of regularly and specifically targeting Flatheads before I actually caught one.
    I've fished for Catfish pretty much exclusively my whole life but it was'nt until rescently that I caught one.

Question- Have you ever caught a Flathead? Answer in the poll.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm always catching them little fellers on jumbo minners ( 2 to 5 lbs )

3. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    My first fish from the Mississippi was a 5 pound Flattie.I now target big Blues,but still chase Flatheads once in a while.

4. VA Hawg hunter

VA Hawg hunter New Member

State:
    virginia
    I live in southwest Virginia and flatheads are common. I caught a 27 inch [approx. 12pounds] flathead last night. I was fishing the Levisa river with my father in law (Ken our other fishing partner was unable to make it) . I caught it on a 3-4 inch sucker minnow about 8pm last night.After a photograph the fish was released. We have caught several flatheads 20 inches and over this summer but this is biggest to date. We have the best luck with live creek chubs or sucker minnows 4 inches and bigger and 1/0 circle hooks.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have caoght alot but was not till recently that i started breaking the 20lb mark 3 yrs ago after meeting my mentor jack love of mega cat crew

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I mostly target blues but at times I find spots where both hold. I just this year tried a few times of the shore and caught some @ 15Lb so far. Its hard for me to fish for them because of the guys I fish with, they Striper fish while I hunt for cats at the same time.

-Jim-

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
  8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Patrik,The key word here is A ,Yes I have gotten A flathead:smile2::smile2:,I caught one a few years ago on the Ar River in Oklahoma. This lil guy was around 5 lbs ,but not 20" the required min. lenght to keep,My first cpr[not photo'd]flat:wink:

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sure have! Actually my PB Flathead at 17# was caught on a lead head jig tipped with a shad. I was fishing for wipers and this guy slammed my bait. After 15 min. fighting him in the strong current, I landed him using 6# test line. It was fun. I definently would like to break that PB sometime!:big_smile:

10. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love to fish for flats, my pb was #42. But I mostly catch them in the 10-25 range.

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I started fishing pretty much exclusively for them this spring on the banks of the Mississippi River in Memphis. I've always loved catfishing and had never caught a Flattie. I read allot about them and watched videos and stuff "Set Lining" was one of them but they still always eluded me. I literally fished long hours several nights a week for months only to come up empty handed repeatedly. Finally I caught my first few about 2 months ago and my biggest 28 lbs. about a month ago. I'm not sure if they are just real rare to catch around here or what but they are a really hard nut to crack especially from the bank. River banks are real hard to access around these parts and that compounds the problem. If any of you folks are trying for them like me and on the verge of giving up due to no luck I definitely suggest becoming a regular reader of the Flathead forum also there are some really good books out there by Kieth Sutton, I highly recommend the one called "Pro Tactics" chapter 10. Also some great videos like "Set Lining for Catfish" by THE MEGA CAT CREW and all of the catfishing Vids by In Fisherman with Doug Stange and Steve Hoffman. Even though it is next to impossible for me to cover miles of river from the bank I have still managed to pick up some invaluable insight through these great resources. :0a26:

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I tried to find some last year and lucked into my personal best 39 pounder and a 30 pounder in a tournament.

This year I figured out the secret in a tournament where we caught a 36 and 33 pounder. Since then I have been catching 15-35 pound fish on just about every trip this summer.

I love targeting them. You are basically fishing for one big bite per night here, but occasionally you luck up and pull in several.

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have caught several Flatheads...

However I would like to hear from the Not Sure folks... they are hard to not identify...

:eek:oooh:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been fishing for flats for 25 years...I have caught quite a few, but have had some down years also...They are not plentifull in the waters I fish, and can be hard to locate.

15. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I've caught loads of the little buggers, most in the 3 - 8" size.

I've yet to find a big one, but there are so many little ones that its a matter of time.

Well time and being able to afford live bait.
    North Dakota Regs on catching live bait are insanely tough.
    No cast nets, only a single 12" trap or a 24" minnow net allowed. And we are only allowed 4 species of bait live. Suckers, creek chubbs, sticklebacks, and fathead (crappie) minnows. And my budget just doesn't allow for buying big sucker minnows.

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    just wait next video might come out next year and we will have bigger cats on it and also more info and also how to target them on rod and reel if you liked the first one the second one is going to blow your socks off:smile2:
    plus i will be in the next one :wink:

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Out here, its just channels and flatties. Ive caught more flatties than channels. Im still looking for the big ones though!

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not really sure.......................LOL:smile2:

19. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've been catfishing for years & just caught my first flats in 2007.
    Now I'm looking to break past the 20# mark. :wink:

20. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'm usually targeting blues and chasnnels, but I am trying to learn and chase them ol flats. I catch them, but not as regularly as I would like. Biggest on rod and reel is 28 lb.