Have you ever been hit by lightning?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by unclebuncle, Apr 9, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Being a fishing site I'm sure we've all been exposed to lightning.I took a direct hit about 30 years ago.Myself and another guy went up on top of a 90 ft grain silo in Florida to close the top before a storm got to us.There was a black cloud about 20 miles away and we thought we had plenty of time.Just as I reached down to take the chute out of the way lightning came across clear blue sky and hit my hand.I have vivid memories of being connected to cloud by lightning.It blew me back against the hand rail and was going into my hand and coming out all over.I could not use my right arm or leg and 90 ft in air I had a serious problem.Finally ended up getting inside his arms and hopping down on one arm and one leg.It was several weeks before I regained full use of arm and leg but no permanent harm.The guys on ground said it sounded like a bomb went off and they were real surprised to see us coming down.You would think I would be scared to death of lightning but now I'm a weather spotter and am out in it all the time.I dont claim to be smart.:crazy:

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    a girl from work has been struck twice in her life. no permanent harm done. she is paranoid and rightfully so when a storm pops up.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never had that happen to me thankfully,I'd just as soon it stay that way.:smile2:

4. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I'm a retired electrician. Back in the late 70's and early 80's (6 years) I worked for a company that installed FAA lights and lightning protection on power house chimneys. 300 to 800 feet tall. We were taught what to do when a strike was imminent. The first thing that happens is the hair on your head and arms start to tingle and stand up. When this happens, lay down in a tight fetal position, close your eyes, put your hands over your ears, and wait for it. I've been on the chimneys when they were hit probably 10 times and aside from bieng deaf for 1/2 hour never a problem. And there were a couple times I might have peed a little.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    My brother and I were out for a little bait (bass) fishing one afternoon before hitting the lake later for Flatheads. The temp was near 80 or 81 degrees, clear blue skies. We could see the storm was 15 or more miles away to our south. It wasn't windy or anything. Thought we had a couple hours before it reached us.

Anyway, I was standing on the bow tossing a spinner bait when all the sudden I felt that hair raising sensation on my arms and neck. It was only for a second or two, then I heard this tremendous BOOM. The next thing I know I'm laying in the bottom of my boat. All ass over tea kettle. I never actually felt like I was being shocked, it just happened too fast. My brother was white faced saying "are you allright?" I was trembling as I crawled up into a seat. He said For an instant before the boom that I was surrounded in a purplish glow. I took off my hat cause I could smell burnt hair, and there was a 1/2 inch burn mark on the top of my hat.

It wasn't a direct strike I know, but it was close enough.

I still call that my "lucky" hat.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Darn sounds close enough to me.Storm doesnt have to be there yet if you can see the cloud it can get you.

7. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    "Storm doesnt have to be there yet if you can see the cloud it can get you."

"When this happens, lay down in a tight fetal position, close your eyes, put your hands over your ears, and wait for it."

Didnt know that. i do now. thanks

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I've never been hit by it, but a few years ago it hit close enough to blind me for a few seconds. We were gone after that. I'm more cautious now when on the water. You wont find me thinking "it wont happen to me" anymore. :smile2:

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ray, that was a close call. It's a wonder it didn't knock you off that silo.

We know a brother and sister that was killed from lighting while driving and riding inside a pickup truck. That was the first time I'd heard of a motor vehicle being struck.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I can remember back before cars were plastic, it was common for awhile there ta see a grounding cable dragging under lots of commercial vehicles, supposedly "lightning" protection. Anyone else remember? Must of been a fad.
    Had a buddy hit on a motorcycle in the Tenn mountains....had smoke/steam coming out the helmit. Quite the sight. He stuttered for several days....and the battery and electrics in the scooter were shot.

If ya have been hit, are you lucky, or unlucky?
    :smile2:

11. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Static straps. Remember them well.

12. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    You sir are a walking , talking, blessed man, and can fish too :smile2:

13. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Cant prove the part about fishing right now,too many skunks.

14. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    5 times so far, best buzz I have ever had!:wink:

15. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Geez once is all I want.

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Not yet, but have done the hair standing up thing and the fishing line floating in the air thing.

Close, but no cigar. Like west nile, lime disease, and a snake bite, I reckon it is just a matter of time. :cross:

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I never been hit, but the old shoemaker in town had been, he had some trouble movin around, didn't have a wheel chair, he had a platform with wheels on it, and walked on all fours. I had a cousin who got hit, he went out to get the cows when a storm came up. He didn't come back, and they found him the next day in the pasture. He had about 1/2 inch hole in the top of his head.

18. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Never been hit but have been close to it a time or two.

19. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A guy I went to high school with had a write up in the paper, he has been hit 4 times by lightning, and he was working on a fountain, for one of the universities and they were suppose to have cut the electric to it, but when he cut the wiring to the lights he was working on got hit again.

The paper article said that the last time he was hit, the storm was 5 miles away from where he was at, when the lightning hit him....lol, it said his kids would come in and make sure he was in the house when it even looked cloudy.....

The article stated that he was suppose to be on the Oprah show, but was cancelled, and he had many interviews with reporters, ect.

I cant imagine how that feels, but I sure dont want to find out....:smile2:

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Boots, I only remember seeing them on gasoline tankers and propane trucks many years ago. I think they were to "suppose" to discharge static electricity.

Where I worked loaded hydrocarbon rail and truck tankers. Before any loading pump would operate, the loader had to securely attach a grounding cable to the tanker.