Have you caught a sturgeon and how big?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by moriver, Jun 18, 2009.

1. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was just wondering who has caught a sturgeon on the MIssouri River and how big was it. I think of the 8 types the Mo has three and one of those is the Lake Sturgeon?

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I used to catch quite a few, especially when carp or drum fishing, or any other time I fished with nightcrawlers. There were more than a few night when the cats weren't biting I'd switch to worms and fish just for them. Seems like they liked to school up on the sand bars. Never had one more than a couple pounds, all shovelnose sturgeon.

3. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've caught the small sand sturgeon before. They are a pain to clean, but the meat is similar to spoonbill. They say you aren't supposed to eat them due to chemicals, but that hassssnnnn'tttt affffeccctttedddd me muuuccccch....yet! :wink:

4. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    We snagged a Lake Sturgeon (not sure) in 2006 at Clarksville L&D on the Sippi that weighed 92lbs. Released it unharmed of course. Sorry no pics to provide. Have them on my buddies cellphone however.

As far as the Big Muddy goes, I've never caught anything but small shovelnose's using worms.

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i used to live in sacramento california, and spent every free moment on the delta up there. i remember watching these asian guys floating on the hunks of styrofoam, used for boat docks, and pulling some monsters out 6ft+. one day i watched 3 guys pulling an easy 9 footer out and up the bank. they used shrimp, worms, or fish guts.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Got a 3 ft and a 6 ft lake sturgen last year. I have also caught pallids and shovelnose and small lake sturgen on rod and reel.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Never got one out of the MO but caught about a 6-8 lb shovelhead on the sippi on a piece of cut shad.

The pallids are endangered so if you do catch one make sure to throw it back.

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I HAVE NOT CAUGHT ONE BUT I BET IT WOULD BE FUN.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I read an article the other day that the MDC is stocking some more in the river this year.

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I caught a small sturgeon about a foot long up below Bagnell years ago on a nightcralwer. Also snagged a 3 foot sturgeon below Alton this spring snagging for paddlefish.

11. wanna be catfisher

wanna be catfisher New Member

State:
    mo
    I caught a 15 pound lake sturgen in clarksville on mississippi about a week ago.my father inlaw caught a shovel nose about an hour later.

12. colonelsanders

colonelsanders New Member

State:
    missouri
    I did catch 1 sturgeon back in 2005 while in a tourney. First fish of the day, he went 42 pounds and I had to throw him back. They wont let you weigh in a sturgeon in a cat tourney(my luck). Man them are some ugly fish!!!

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    They did that about a month ago out of kaw point.....

14. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a slot limit "eater" caught by my cousin on the Columbia River. They ARE tasty. If you boil the meat in salt and sugar water (and dip it in melted butter of course) it tastes just like lobster.

Attached Files:

15. jbeshears

jbeshears New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught one about a foot and a half long about a month ago on the Missouri River. I would love to catch a big one on the river. I think I was fishing with worms at the time.

16. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Nessie busted this one a few years back. It was 60lbs.

We thought we had a tarpon as we didn't know they were in the water or even jumped.

Attached Files: