Have yet to catch a blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by mcwrestler, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have caught tons of channels in this pond, biggest one was 22lbs, big for a channel around my area. I have caught 3 flatheads, 6.8lbs, 28 lbs 38in, and 30lbs 42in. I have hooked one blue, or at least I hope it was ablue, I may throw up if I lost a channel as big as this brute. He was larger than the 42in flathead and a harder fighter, but my friend accidently lost him on the bank. Now I can't seem to catch the blues. The pond is 7 acres and heavily fished, except people don't know how big some of the cts are in there and they settle for the average 3lb channel. How do I go about catching blues :confused: .

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    First off a few things. Channels and blue are very similar, and often mistaken. Once you get the hang of it they are easy to tell apart but theres times when ive questioned some fish weather they were blues or channels, so you might have been catching some blues and just misidentified them as channels.

Second, blues are not commonly found in ponds. They are more of a big lake fish. Ponds mostly hold channels, and sometimes flats and bullheads. There just might not be any blues in your fishing hole to catch.

From my experience if you want channels you generally fish with liver, dough baits, blood baits, worms, etc. For blues you want cut bait. and flats live bait. Almost every blue I catch is on shad and live or dead perch. Most of my channels come from liver, corn, tortillas, and worms. And i havnt caught a flathead yet.

Also channels seem form my experience seem to be almost exclusively bottom feeding where as blues are caught off the bottom more often than not. Last weekend we caught 18 blues and 1 channel and i would say 16 of the blues were caught 5 feet under the surface in 20-28 foot of water. 2 were caught 1 foot off the bottom. The channel I think was about 10 foot off the bottom. All were caught on shad 2 inches long. We couldnt get any larger shad anywhere, I threw my net 100 times in difference ares, deepths etc and couldnt bring nothing up larger than 2 inches.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have managed to catch 4 blues from that pond in the last week, since I posted this. The pond is stocked by the city with channels, and by local fishermen with everything else. I am sure almost 99.9%, thatthe fish I hooked into the other night that was longer and fatter than the flathead was a blue cat, or else I lost a state record channel, or one that tcame close. I counted the rays in the tail to determine big channels from average blues. The smaller blues seem to stand out with the shape of their fin. My largest channel was 23lbs, whin is big for a channel, flathead was 30lbs 42 in, and the biggest blue was 15lbs. All froma local 7 acre pond in the city. People driving by look at me like I am lying untill they see pics of the fish. I will try slip float fishing and see how I do I guess.