Have Ya'll tried these for blues and flats ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WKYCatman, Sep 3, 2005.

1. WKYCatman

WKYCatman New Member

Hi ! Everyone,
    I'm new to the site , and this is my first post. In the area where I live , KY., TN. etc. we have what I call creek minnows. There are 2 types that I catch alot . They both are a bronze color with a dark stripe, size up to 8-9 inches and big around as a quarter or a little bigger. The only difference is the mouth one is like a bluegill the other is hard to describe but very small mouth. The ones like the gill seem to work a little better. What I was wanting to share is , from July through the fall , I wear the blues and flats out on these little fellers. I was sceptical several years ago when an older feller told me they were better than just about any other live bait on KY. and barkley lakes at this time of year. I have been numerous times with other guys , using the standard golden roaches , live and cut yellowtail, etc. and have seen more often then not a 3 or 4 to 1 catch ratio , with the creekies leading the pack. Several times zip on anything but them. I've been going alot lately to KY. lake , and the worst day in a while I caught 85 lbs. all blues with the best being 150 lbs. in a day of fishing.
    If you have clear running creeks in your neck of the woods , PLEASE see if you can catch some and give them a try. I think you may be amazed as I was!
    Good - Luck,
    WKYCatman :thumbsup:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the advice. I'm always up for trying something new. How are you catching these creek minnows? I suspect a throw or seine net. I fish about 2 1/2 hours north of you on the Mississippi river. Good Luck Fishin!!!!!! :cool:

3. WKYCatman

WKYCatman New Member

Hi,
    I have 3 of the round minnow traps and generally get 6-10 dozen with one set and about 45 min. wait. I also use a seine net when possible, alot of the creeks I trap are full of logs, rocks etc. make it difficult to seine. I wad 2 slices of white bread into balls and 1/2 dozen crushed crackers per trap. The creeks I refer to are seldom more than 20 ft. across and relatively shallow, with the odd 3 - 6 foot hole. The main thing is where you set traps. I have the best luck by finding a snag or root wad of a tree hanging over and in the water around the slightly deeper areas. I have found that the spots where I can't quite see the bottom are the best. Another important tip is set traps to be inline with current flow never crossways of it. I use the same trap sites over and over . The minnows are not too hard to keep alive I use a livewell for them but a troll type minnow bucket works well. Its just more convenient to reach in livewell and not have to drag a bucket around. Lately live has worked best but at times cutting in half works better, I do both until they tell me what they want. The flatheads really go for the larger minnows . I've had some of the really large minnows bit clean off right behind the head, just like cut off with a knife. Biggest flat last year was 44lbs. alot of blues up to 35lbs. biggest flat this year was 36lbs. but I've hung a few LARGER. I hope you catch you some and give them a try . One other thing the black vinyl coated traps work ok, but the plain galvanized ones are more reliable . Sometimes it seems they wont go in the black as good.
    Good-Luck and let me know when you try them what your results are.
    WKYCatman :)

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the information. I appreciate it. I happen to have one of those galvanized traps, and a few creeks nearby. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

5. lphelton

lphelton New Member

I have experienced the galvanized minnow traps catch more then the black coted ones hands down.I never even bothe to set my black one anymore mysel.Usaully set mine in creek in front yard next to my bridge night before i go out get plenty from 3 to 5 inches biggers ones i catch on small plastic crappie jigs.Flat heads do seem to like them live where i fish.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds like there what we call "creek chubs". There good bait if you can get them.

7. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I agree, sounds like creek chubs. I used to wholesale them in Indiana. Id seine them out of creeks. The other sounds like a sucker that is often found in the same creeks...small mouth pointing down moreso than grass carp, and tougher than chubs. in the spring, the creek chubs have pinkish heads and the males have these "horns" or nots on top of the head. Ive found that the chubs can be silvery to yellowish depending on the water(gravel bottom, flatrock, weedy, muddy). If you want to catch big ones, use a small rooster tail! Those bigger ones actually eat other minnows(dace). Anyway, ur right, those are excellent bait for bigger cats.

8. WKYCatman

WKYCatman New Member

No problem jetdriver anytime,
    The minnows I'm speaking of aren't like the creekchubs I've seen . I've never seen them get nearly as big as a creekchub. I may be wrong but I think there just a creek minnow not a chub. And I know the ones are not suckers, the mouth is not on the bottom ,its just small. Heck , I dont know what they are but they sure catch fish . Maybe I'll try when I get some to take a pic. and post it. I do know that all creeks dont have them , though they do have other minnows just not like these. I'll do a little research and see if I can find out. If I can't I'll try to e-mail Paul Rister the head fisheries guy for the area.
    WKYCatman :)