Have We Gotten So Lazy???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dreadnaught, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Apperently we live in a gotta have it now and, don't want to do anything to get it world!!!
    I can remember when you had to get up and change the channel on the TV!!! Now that most TV's have remotes people freak out and don't seem to know how to change it if they can't find the remote, LOL!!! I still remember how!!!
    This idea has carried over into our fishing as well!!!

Think about it for a minute:

We have hooks that set themselves!
    "Setting the hook is half of the fun to me!!"

Rod holders that set the hook for you!
    "Have we gotten to the point that we don't even want to watch our rods when we go fishing now?"(saw this in a thread and made me think of this)

We have bobbers that set the hook also!!
    "When I fish with a bobber, I like to watch it myself, not have some gizmo do it for me!!!"

Electric anchor retrievers!
    I know that some people need them that have weight lifting disabilities and that is great!!
    "I know it is hard work to pull up the anchor but, crap, we can't be that lazy!!!"

I think it is getting to the point that, we are getting to lazy to fish, LMAO!!!

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    You got a point....and personally, I go "old-school" on everything. But that's just me. Good post.

-Red

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow JW, you actually have all that stuff? Must be nice being the next Jed Clampett! LMAO!!!:lol:

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have to agree with you on almost all of these except the remote my tv doesn't have and button's are knob to change the channels if I loose it are it breaks, I know I know I am an idoit for buying a tv like that but the wife picked it out and as stated before it yes dear whatever you want.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Yep thats me.The remote is my only one.Great post!!!

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I hear ya J.W. a bait clicker is about as high tech as I like to get.
    I do believe in cpr but another lazy thing I observe is releasing fish because we are to lazy to clean and putt them up.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use circle hooks, but thats about it. I do at leats keep an eye on my rods though.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I think my Grandfather would chuckle to himself if he was still around to see me with my Abu Garcia, Berkly glowstick, kahles, fish finder on the boat, and all the time I spend reading the BOC, articles, and books. Watching me do all that while he pulls out his pocket knife, cuts a willow branch, ties a string to it and throw out some worms he dug up and STILL outfish me :embarassed:

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    circle hooks i dont think were made for laziness
    you still have to work or use your arms to raise up the rod tip
    to set the hook and in fact i think after the fish gets pierced by the point of the circle hook you still need to bury the hook to close the deal.
    jw just cause you dont like em dont dismiss them :tounge_out:
    i will get you a pack of pink circle hooks for your birthday.

as far as the rod holders bobbers etc. well i do like a glow stick on the rod tip and i do use a remote for the tv .
    remotes are like non optional nowadays i cant stand loseing one and probably spend more time hunting a lost one than if i just got up and changed the dang channel !!!
    in its defense though a remote is a necessity if its a universal that operates your dvd vcr tv etc all in one especially if your watching a dvd and want to pause it or rewind or put the closed caption on.
    lazy??? you bet !:cool2:

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Im with you all the way brother, especially on setting the hook....Love to set that hook..If you miss the fish...HEY....Thats why its called fishing!!! Good Post

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Watch your mouth you young whipper snapper! Let;s have a little respect for us antiques on here.I bet you always bought your "Black Powder" and fished with "Store Bought Poles,Lines and Boats".If you are lucky,you will get OLD one day.Besides,at 48 JW ain;t "dry behind the ears yet.He,he!peewee-williams

12. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i always set the hook even if it already set, i just like the feel of tuggin on that line and feelin a big old cat on the other end, i usually dont use a rod holder anyways a lot of the time with me by the time i get it out of the holder and set the hook the fish is gone, so i just get a chair and cross my legs rest the rod on them and put my finger on the line, that way i know when i got a bite and when to set the hook:D i catch a fish about 95% of the time that way.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Why Thank You PeeWee!!! That made me feel all warm and young again "where are my crayons, LOL!!!"

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Got to agree with you, but I ain't givin up my circles! LOL. Started using kahle hooks as well and they are great too.
    Just wait till someone invents a electric reel, that will be pretty sad unless it's intended for someone disabled.

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    well heck, lets add some more.

Why have motors?
    too lazy to paddle everywhere?

Why have vehicles?
    too lazy to raise horses?

Why have phones, e-mail or even 'gasp' The BOC?
    too lazy to sit down and write somebody a good ol' letter?

Why have electricity?
    too lazy to make candles, cut firewood, heat water with the firewood you cut, etc

If you are like me, you don't use these things because you are lazy you use them because they are convenient and make your day-to-day life a heck of a lot easier.

There are people that agree completely with you and these questions, their called Amish :lol:

16. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Just think of it this way. Every 'older' generation thinks some new things are stupid or for lazy people when they come out. I bet when you guys were kids you wanted, or bought, a flasher or depth finder. I bet your parents/grandparents said these were stupid because they never had them growing up and they caught fish. But now nobody thinks a good fish marker is stupid. Just wanted to show another way to think about your points (which can be very valid) and just did it in the most sarcastic way I could think of, sorry. :big_smile:

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

ok, John, so what are you saying? is there a problem here?:big_smile:

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you will notice, "I never said anything about fish finders", LMAO!!! I can use a fishfinder and have a reason to set my own hook, LOL!!!

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

i'm waiting for the day my guide wears a scuba suit and puts the fish on my hook:lol:

20. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    tv remote?...Try growing up without a tv. I didn't have one till I moved out and went to college. I still only have 5 channels, but I have to admit I do use a remote since the power button fell off. It is the only way to turn it on and off. You guys really want learn to fish? Get rid of that ol box for a while and you'll find yourself on the pond out back, or the river, or the lake a whole lot more.