Have recieved some bad news lately...

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by Mid-MO fisherman, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    We have just found out that we will probably sooner than later have to put one of our best friends to sleep. Our rottwieler, Rocky, has been going downhill very fast in the last couple of weeks. He is a very large at 150lbs and somewhat old for his size, 9+. He suffers from hip dysplasia pretty bad. A few months ago we noticed that he had started stumbling a lot. Took him to the vet and she told us that he had a nuerolgical disorder of some sorts. Basically the arthritis in his spine was pinching the neves to his back end. We started giving him some medicine. It helped alot at the very beginning. In the last 2 weeks he has declined to the point of not even getting up all day long except for about 20 min. in the evening to go outside to the bathroom. It takes him a good 5 min to even work up the strength to get up. It has been very hard for my wife. She has had him since he was a puppy. Way longer than she has had me. We discussed what the vet told us this evening that if the new medication doesnt help out much by sunday, that it would be time to take a good look at his quality of life. very depressing. We might have to make a decision in a couple of days and we arent ready for that. I never understood the relationship between a dog and their human until I met my wife. Now that I have a dog that I call my own I understand it totally. I am not looking forward to the next few days at all. Thanks for being there as a brotherhood that I can vent to about anything. I dont know many of you but you are truly brothers to me. Thanks.

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear this terrible news about your dog. I understand they can become a part of the family and in some circumstances it's just like having another child at home. Hopefully all goes well but if he must be put to sleep, remember it's painless to your dog and he's probably better off than having to suffer through his pain. Prayers sent from Ohio for ya brother.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sorry to hear you may have to put down your best friend. Dogs are like family to many people.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Sorry to hear that. Dogs really do become part of the family.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I am sorry to hear about your dog . It is one of the hardest I have had to do

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    sorry to hear the bad news andy,they are like family!we have a few rottwielers our self,and the oldest male is my fishing partner.i know it would not replace you dog,but we have two rottwieler puppies still needing a home,and i would like to offer you one if you wanted it,i could bring it to you at the nationl gathering if you plan on going,we wasn't planning on going but i have a family member thats not doing to good,and we were planning to go see her, but the gathering would not be that far out of the way........

crome

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sorry to hear about that, I lost my last cat today, she was older then me.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    very sorry to hear about this....

we recently had to put a dog down...

it sucks

i hope u guys do alright

but remember he will be in a better place without pain or suffering

Jeff

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sorry to hear about the dog, bud. Got one of my own and she's gettin' kinda old, too. Been my buddy for years. I hope it all works out for the best.

-Red

10. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Thanks for all of the support. My wife will definately appreciate all of the support you guys are giving us. The offer for the puppy is greatly appreciated but at this point I dont think we will get another dog right away. We have 2 others that should keep us company through the hard times. We have had to put other animals to sleep before. they were cats and not quite as difficult for me. This is definatly tough. It helps knowing i have friends like you to lean on.

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats very tough to go through! I have been there in the past and know I will go through it again. It saddens me when I think about it, so I know what you are feeling! I share a little of the pain with you!
    Josh, sorry about your cat! I have cats too and love them dearly!

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    we all here at the BOC feel for you and your wife in this moment of pain and will keep your dog in our thoughts ,good luck

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :sad2: Andy I know how you feel and what your going through. I had to put my first favorite dog to sleep be 9 years this Nov,. was reading your story and I'm not ashamed to admit it my ole eyes started tearing up.they do ever time I think of her or read something like this. She may not be with me except in my heart and that is something i'll never lose and niether will you. I had her cremated and she is sitting on a shelf with her picture on the box in my front room. And when I leave this world she is going with me. May sound stupid to some but thats the way I feel. God Bless will be saying a prayer for you that things will go as easy as possible for you and your wife.

14. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey brother i had to do the same to my rott when i was in high school and that really put me in a bad state of mind. my rott went every where with me and even sleeped with me. so man i know how you feel. i'll be praying for you and your wife. but exspecially for rocky

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    so sorry to here this brother, I had a doberman that weighed 125 he had the same problem, this is a very hard thing to do, good luck

16. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will be praying for you and your wife, for comfort and peace.

17. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    The vet gave us some new meds for Rocky. they seem to be working somewhat. we both know that this is a temporary fix for a permanent problem. It puts off the inevitable for a while. We both thank you for all of your support. Sorry i was slow to reply, been out of town for the weekend.

18. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    sorry to hear it bro...it's a hard thing to put down a friend and family member

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Andy, it was nice to hear that the new medicine is helping somewhat. Enjoy making a few more memories with Rocky while you have this chance. I have had to make this decision regarding two cats and several pups over the years. My oldest golden retriever will be 13 on September 6th. She's still kickin', just more slowly! We'll keep you, your wife, and Rocky in our prayers.

20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother when I read your post I had the biggest tears well up in my eyes. I love dogs just about all breeds,my sister even got me a braclet to wear that has different puppies all around it. I have a dog that was born in my lap,his mama had never birthed before so I was helping her out. When I had to give her up it tore me up big time my husband didn't know what he was gonna do with me,now in memory of her I have her son and when he gets old or should something make him bad sick and I'm forced to make that decision I'll tell ya folks my heart will be shattered and I'm not a bit ashambed to admit it. As for you MMR,I don't think your idea of taking your Best friend with you when you leave this world is stupid at all. If we were next door neighbors I'd run over and give ya a big hug and pat on the back. Ya all take care now,and I wish your blessed pet all the good health in the world.God Bless-------pk powellBOC member since Oct2005:sad2: