Have any of you seen a fish catch a snake?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Fishsmoker, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Fishsmoker

Fishsmoker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been fishing in Missouri most of my life. While I read and hear that some fish eat snakes and frogs, I've never seen it happen. (I did see a black snake eating a garter snake.) But never saw a bass or catfish chase, catch, or eat a snake!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    When you toss a plastic worm into a pond and a bass hits it I'm sure he thinks it is a small snake. Many lures imitate a frog--Hula Popper for one.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I have caught several bass on artificial snakes.

I can't help but think that bass think they are striking a snake when they hit these artificial 7 - 10 inch plastic/rubber worms too.

Bass will hit snakes, frogs, mice, lizards, etc.

I have caught catfish on worms but not on artificial snakes....

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i saw a copperhead once swimming along with a trout in its mouth leaving the hole I was walking too. and I've gutted a 17" brown trout that had a mouse in its stomach but I've never witnessed a snake being eaten by a fish.

6. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
  7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Peter Welcome to the BOC.Yes, I have seen bass take a small snake and many frogs over the years.If it has action a bass will go for it.:lol: :big_smile:

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea I have Saw Bass hit and eat snakes

9. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    I was fishing at a local county lake here in kansas; I was fishihng for crappie and caught a 9 inch bass with a 8 inch ringneck being processed in his diegestive system and 8 inches was hanging out from him. use imagination wher it was.

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've see fish eat snakes in and outr of the wild. those green ribbon snakes you see around, I've see them munching minnows and othere small fish. Funny as it can be. One thing I have see that was just amazing was a king snake take down a rattle snake its own size. They don't call em king snakes for nothing. It was like a tornado on the ground.
    :boss: ​

11. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    We were fishing in back in a cove one time that had a lot of stumps in it. We watched this squirrel jump from a tree overhanging the water to the first stump, then the next, then the next. Finally, when he was about 20 feet out into the water he jumped onto the last stump and we saw that there was an acorn there. He picked it up and started eating it when a huge bass jumped out of the water and swallowed him whole. We couldn't believe it! We just sat there dumbfounded. When the rings in the water subsided, that bass jumped out of the water again and put another acorn right back on that stump. :tounge_out: :tounge_out:

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that would suck royally to lip a bass that had a lil gator in its throat!
    i have filleted a bass that had a ribbon snake in its gut, and filleted a few cats that had baby turtles in theirs.

i was looking for some lures that looked like pecans for those trophy bass, but haven't found any yet! :lol: i figure if i hook the squirrel first, the bass won't be able to resist it......

13. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks Jamie,
    Thats a keeper for me. :smile2:

14. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    A couple of weeks ago we were tied up to some brush in 3 ft water near the end of a finger on the lake. There was about an 8 ft gator easing around the back of the pontoon boat. A 4 ft long skinny rattle snake came swimming by the front of the boat. Close enough my wife could have hit it with her rod. I thought I was going to see the snake get eaten but didn't. The gator lunged at something else. He made a big splash and something else left at highspeed it made a wake and a mud trail. After he missed he just kept going in the direction he was headed. They tell me the gators are mating now so it may have been an unwelcome sutor.

15. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    It's not uncommon to see largemouth bass eat snakes. The weirdest thing I have witnessed a bass eat was a newly hatched duckling. That gator video is pretty surprising.

Jeremy

16. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Weirdest thing I've seen a fish eat was a baby red ear turtle that was swimming near the surface with his head out near the edge of dense lillypads. His shell was about 2.5" in diameter. A bass hit it like it was a topwater lure.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have seen a bullfrog eating a garter snake, while being eaten by a largemouth bass. My dog was trying to eat all three of them.

18. Peanut ridge Kid

Peanut ridge Kid New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hello all,

ME and my son like to fish Cross Creek in Middle TN. Last year we saw for the first time a Bass Chase down a Cotton Mouth and Eat it. All I have to say is that I'm am Very Happy that Bass Don't get big enough to eat Humans. They hit hard and fast, that old snake never knew what hit him and he was gone in the blink of an eye. Truely amazing.:cool2:

19. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    when bass fishing i sometimes use 12" artifical worms. Kid of like a bass eating a snake. However they do in nature all the time.

20. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    I cant top any of those