have any of you ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rcbbracing, Oct 15, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I heard years ago about a guy who used to fish for flatheads using large feeder mice for bait. I dunno how he would hook em, but he would leave em on top of the water swimmin around, squeeling, and whatnot and flatheads would absolutely love em...From what ive learned about flatheads it seems possible...i dont know if ide ever do it but was curious if you have heard of similar things, if youve tried it, or if youde think it would work. Ive been getting bored and trying to think of things to discuss and always kinda wondered about this anyhow. Thanks guys...

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    Seem's plausable.

3. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Ok Hopefully the girl in me isnt going to come out too much! BUT Goodness! i can not see using anything that has fur to catch fish! JESUS! There is too many other options out there

4. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I've heard that the old timers used live chickens and sometimes newborn kittens. Pretty weird, but they're predators and theyll absolutely eat anything they can fit in their mouth.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Bet it would work on somethin..cant see a big fish sittin there sayin " i aint eatin that thing!" :smile2:

6. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I've heard of people using baby chicks for bait. I allso seen a duckling swimming across the river and they were big fish rolling the water rite behind the duckling. I bet the rat would work. Only one way to find out... Give it a try. just throw one in the middle of the lake or river just to see what happens.

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    yea, a rubber band and hook should work

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    1. I have never seen a flathead eat topwater.

2. Sending a live mouse down into the depths of the river would defeat the purpose of live bait. The thing will drown in 1 minute!:wink:

You would have more fun sticking a 12/0 King Kahle on a 5lb largemouth bass and wait to see what is willing to attack it.:cool2:

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A solid way to hook a mammal as bait so far has been my major flaw in the story....this is a good idea that just might work! and ive seen BIG flatheads up in the 40lb range hit in 2ft of water so why not hit the surface for a tasty squeeling treat? makes sence to me!

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    HOOK THAT SUCKER THROUGH THA EARS

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Your darn right a flathead and a blue will come up and eat a mouse. Its pretty common during baby duck season for a cat to come up and swallow a chick as fast as lightning ; )

I watched a flathead the other night ram himself up the shore and grab a dead bream that was floating almost on the shore..... I was amazed how he came into inches of water to grab the bream. It even amazes me how he even found it.

Saw it with my own two eye ; )

-Jim-

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    when the rivers on the rise would probally be the best time to try this as all kinds of stuff gets swept away and im shure all kinds of stuff gets eaten at this time if you want to go for it something should eat it. if it dies stomp on it and throw it back out:wink:

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've caught flatheads on topwater bass lures. and i think he was talking about a mouse swimming on the surface. it's illeagal to use bass for bait in my state.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Although I've never tried it myself,I have seen one old timer use a mouse,he hooked it through the loose skin the back above the front legs,and sent it swimming,I don't know for sure what he was targeting but a northern pike destroyed it before it had swam 10 feet. I've caught many flatheads on topwater in the summer and have been targeting them with saltwater big chug bugs. In the right conditions I've had better luck with the topwater lure than the live bait. A full or nearly full moon over a shallow flat where the fish are feeding already and it's on! be sure to use the rattling variety as it is hands down more effective than non-rattling,the strikes are explosive and hard,hang on to that rod!

15. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    seems plausible to me. if you look on youtube they got videos of some guys throwin a chipmunk out and a bass made it disappear. im sure cats would do the same thing.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've heard of using mice for musky bait, rubberband them to your hook allows them to swim.

17. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    A friend of mine years ago used baby sparrows for bait. He caught some big channels on them. I saw him use them he hook them through the skin on their neck. Then he just pitched them out and it did not take long and the fight was on. So yes I could see a mouse work for bait just not sure what would grab it first Cat, Bass or Northern Pike. But I would bet it would not take long to find out.:crazy:

18. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    so then i shouldnt tell you when the fish stop biteing i go predator hunting for the hides to sell to the fur market?:crazy: gotta make some $ some how lol...sniper

19. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hook him right be hind the back of the head in the neck sec. and hope he dont chew through ur line at the wrong time :smile2:

20. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I was young and my grandpa took me fishing alot, one time he caught a mouse in the grain bin in the barn before we left. He took it to the dam and twisted its neck and blood was comeing out of its mouth. I dont remember where he hooked it, but I can tell ya he caught about a 8-10lb flathead on it, fishing on the bottom. True story.