Have any good stories?

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by john catfish young, Sep 4, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just wanted to share a memorable fishing story. It was late october at the Gallatin Steamplant in 1989. I had spent most of the day fishing at the discharge in the warm water. There wasn't much of anything happening at all. So I decided to go around to the intake side of the plant. There is a skimmer wall that runs over the intake channel and is approx. 100 yrds wide here. I would drive to the skimmer wall and park and walk across the skimmer wall and down the bank until I reached a spot that was only 30 yrds wide. I had caught several smaller fish here in the summer and just wanted to try it for some bigguns. As night began to come on.....the pouring rains came down. I had good rain gear and was managing to stay fairly dry. I saw headlights come to the parking area and soon was joined by two of my striper fishing buddies.So there we sat in the rain , fishing with cut-bait and hoping to catch a good one. It was around 7:00pm when my rod bent over violently towards the water. I rared back and set the hook on what would turn out to be the biggest striper I ever had on a hook. The fish was gaining an aweful amount of line and in the darkness I could see the line that went around the bend and out of sight. I believe this fish had almost 100 yrds of line before I got him stopped. I dont know if my drag was a bit too lose or what. I always fished with 20 lb mono and kept my drag set accordingly. I fished with an 8' oceanside series rod by Zebco topped with a Penn 650 salt water spinning reel. When I finally got the fish stopped , I heard him thrash the top of the water and then the pumping back in began. I fought this fish for nearly 15 minutes and when he came into the bank he was whooped, belly up. One of my friends asked do you want me to get him and I said no I got him. Just as I was reaching down to get him, the hook slapped me in the face twice. I looked at the size of the striper and seen how big it was and I saw the fish began to float off in the strong current and it began to regain its composer. I never used a net and up to this point, never needed one.
    In the heat of the moment...... I leaped off of the 3' imbankment and landed directly on top of the big striper. I hit on top of him and immediately we went under water. I had wrapped my arms around him and his dorsal fins had pierced my forearm and was stuck in me. The fish freaked out and began to buck and I felt him shoot out from my arms. In the darkness of being under water, I reached out in the water and grabbed him by the front of the tail and I still had a grip on him. After a couple of tail whips, the big fish was gone. I finally came to the top of the water coughing and gagging and spewing out water. I made it to the waters edge in the strong current and just layed at the waters edge, half in and half out of the water. I just layed there for a few moments. I got out of the water and made my way back some 10 yrds to where I had been sitting and I sat down. My friends and I sat there in total silence....no one said a word for a couple minutes. When finally one spoke up and said what in the H#ll just happened? I spoke and said he got away! The other friend asked......Is it just me or is that the biggest fish I've ever seen? I replied...its the biggest fish I've ever had on. So as we began to talk about it and continued to fish.....we had one of the best Laughs that I can ever remember having....We laughed so hard that it was hard to breathe. I reached in my pocket for a cigarette and found a pack floating in water. I took out the pack and looked at it and asked for a dry smoke and that started the insane laughing all over again. To this day whenever I talk to these guys...this trip always come back to haunt me!!! What was I thinking? I guess I wasn't thinking too straight at all! I now always have a net at the ready when fishing for any kind of big fish!!!!!
    Do you have any good fishing stories???? Share them here!!!!

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone got a good story to tell?:big_smile:

3. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    My Dad's story of his 52 lb flat on a set hook always included the part about pulling up on the line and it feeling like it was hung up with just dead weight slowly sinking back down. Three or four times before realizing there was a fish on.

Last weekend, me and 2 of 5 (15 year old) were out running some limb lines. I was easing him up to them to pick them up and catch whatever was there. It was his show. Sometimes we get hung up good and when ya can't get a loose, put the line on the cleat and back up until it straightens the hook enough to get a loose. Well, he pulled up (straining real good) on one and it eased back down. I killed the motor. He pulled up again straining real good and it eased back down. I stood up and took a step forward. He tried again but to no avail. Think this one is hung up Dad he says. Hrmm... ok... he's caught a few and felt a few hung up and this is his show so I let him make the call.

He put the line on the cleat and I started backing up. If you've ever done that, you know that your boat will ease back, slow down just a bit for a second under the strain, then you'll get a muffled pop when it comes a loose way down there on the bottom. This didn't happen. I backed up about 30 feet and the line was still under strain. So I went forward and helped him "rassle" that monster to the side of the boat.

It was a tree. Sure had my adrenaline going :) Just knew he had a monster on.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  5. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks Mr. Shrum :) Still finding new to me stuff