Have a question

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by ps72103, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    i have a 95 chevy 1500 and i am going throug rear seals on the trany im bout to put the 3rd one on in the 2 years that ive had the truck. the drive shaft has dents on bouth ends that looks like it was put in a vise would the dents on the drive shaft be the problem. :0a23:

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, I would rather doubt that the dents would cause more than a vibration which in the long run may cause some issues but not rapidly.

The first thing that you'll want to do is push up & down on the yoke near to the seal, if it has slack you will need to replace the output shaft bushing & seal. Of course look @ the condition of the yoke where the seal rides, it's smooth isn't it ?

There is also another condition that may lead you to believe that it's the seal. First spray some cleaner solvent around the yoke on the "inner" side where the U-joint is, then elevate the truck from the front & without starting the engine, look to see if it is coming thru the center of the yoke.

If it is, PM me & I'll tell ya how to fix it, Good luck & have a great day, Elliot

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Depends on if the dents are where the seal rides. If they are they are grinding down your seal. Take the shaft out and take some emory cloth to it. That is if those dents are on the seal. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    if you have dents in yout drive shaft it will cause vribration which will wear out the bushing and seal in the transmission. I would take the driveshaft out and have it balanced then replace the bushing an seal before restalling it.

5. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    a dent will definitly change the balance of a driveshaft and it will cause more problems than wearing out a seal you need to either replace the shaft or find a shop that will rebalance it and if the dents are real bad i would go buy one at a junk yard and if you replace it you must replace the seal at the same time or it will keep on leaking

6. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    thanks everyone im trying to find a shop close to me that can rebalance it if not im just going to go to the salvage yard and buy one.

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    when at the salvage yard make sure to look at the drivshaft close. make sure the u joints are all good and not rusted up and oh yeah no dents lol

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    most any local machine shops will balance that drive shaft for u. or atleast they do that around here