havasu shad

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Oct 23, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i saw a thing on carp and a guy cut the fish up and ground the blood,guts and others in a paste and put it in a baggie for cat munchies ( fish chunks were mixed in the blood )

i was wondering if i could use that method for the shad in havasu

basically im asking if shad is a good cut bait for channell catties :tounge_out:

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Shad makes excellent cut bait for channel cats, some would say that you can't do any better if it is fresh stuff. I will do the same thing you described from time to time too, either blending or finely chopping up the guts of bait fish and rubbing them into a filet or something like that. Usually I just use fresh fish for cut bait and make sure the chunk I have on the hook has some guts hanging from it.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    finally thank you :big_smile:

ur the only one that has responded in the last 2 days

it would be easier to get shad then carp ill net the little guys and putem in my little live well

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Shad is the BEST "chum" bait known, the oil, and stick it puts off is unmatched. I agree with Silenced, that the best cut bait is the freshest you can get, not to say of corse that old or frozen doesnt work, but the fresh blood is hard to beat. We used to be able to buy shad sides and guts at the local bait shop back in KC, and man you let that sit outside for a day or two, and you had GOLD, of course if it got on you, you were screwed!:eek:oooh:

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    has anyone used a rig like this,,, its in the first half of the video and is pretty much like if i kooked a 3/4 ounce to a snap swivel

i think i might try it cause it is real simple and versital :smile2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF0GuGIjmD8

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    looks like just a variation of the carolina rig. Look that one up, it is very easy and unbeatable when catfishing.:wink:

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive used the carolina rig and i caught 3 channels in 2 hours but i dont like to put the weight and beed then the leader and then attach it to the mainline

i switch off of cats to stripers... so im not sure wat to use thats versital ( spelling ) and im the only one that ties the knots on our 6 poles

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i was going to try something simpler

also i got 2/0 4/0 baitkeeper and 3/0 octopus hooks but is there somethin i could use thats better

(i cast out far from shore also)

9. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I love the octopus hooks, but i use them in 6/0- 10/0!!! they seem to have best of both worlds as far as hooks. I like the texas rig for bank fishing that way the fish never feels the weight, until it is too late.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    going after only eater size catfish so wat size shood i use aprx..

im ordering some from catconnection today :wink:

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    my opinion for Eater pan sized I would stick to around a 4/0-5/0 circle or octopus hook. The littler ones really dont need the circle, but it is a great hook. Most pan sized you can catch with any hook, just make it big or small enough to have your bait cover it, the smaller ones like to pick at the bait, the big ones pick it up and run. Best of luck:wink:

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i think im going to stay with the 2/0 or 4/0 bait keeper cause i caught catties on ithem before and i like to rip there face off *** and i love the little barbs on the hooks too to hold meat off the barbs :smile2:

the hooks are also cheaper at my local bait and tackle so im not going to get them off the website

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've got about 3-4 quart size baggies i've had froze for yrs in freezer. dumby me has never even thought of grinding up for mixing in stink bait or chum. guess i'd best try some.
    gary

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use 12 pound mono for my leader and was wondering if that might be too small

never caught a cat on it before :embarassed:and was wondering if it would break

15. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    well I use 80-100lb leaders and I still catch pan friers. 12 is fine, as long as you are not near any snags. Set the drag corretly and you'll be fine,but it never hurt to go bigger:wink:

16. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey guys im from way up north and some of the things you have been talking about i might be able to help out a lil bit on. Firstly on the cutbait....if you can get ahold of some skipjack, they are amazing and will make you change your mind in a heartbeat on shad being the best. and on the rig you are useing. the slip rig with the weight and beed being on the opposite side of your leader, i think is definately the best way to go, i have used many different set ups, but for bottom fishing it is the best in my eyes, the fish never know you are there until it is too late, because if you use a sinker that slides, the fish cant feel it. and on your hook selection, i use a gamakatsu ocopus circle hook. i find them to be amazing and i absolutely love them. however i fish for big flats and blues, and those fish have a tendency to take off with the bait and hook themselves, but channels a lot of times will just pick at the bait and take is slowly. meaning a lot of times you will have to set the hook yourself. and the downfall with circle hooks is that you miss a lot more fish that way because theres not as mush clearance in the hook. So i would recommend going with a 4/0 straight shank, i dont think you will miss as many fish with this hook as you might with the circle. but normally i use 6/0 pr 7/0 to catch my big cats but when i go for eating size channels i always use a 4/0. Or go to cabellas there in Phoenix (which was amazing and i loved it when i was there) and pick up the assorted hooks (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0043421319585a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Catfish+Hooks&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Catfish+Hooks&noImage=0) but in the long run thats what i would do to catch eater sized channels, and one last thing, when i used to fish hard for channels or when i needed one more fish or two for that tourney i would go to raw shrimp. Sometimes it works like magic for channels. just use it like you would any other bait, peel off the shell and put it on the hook. just a regular straight shanked hook. anyways best of luck to ya

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i caught 2-2 pound channels and one 7 pound channel on the 2/0 baitkeeper in one night so im alright with the hooks ( and if i need to i could go with a 4/0 baitkeeper or 3/0 octupos ( spelling )

..... come to think of it when i first went fishing for channels i used a chum that had ( spoiled ) milk anchovies eggs skipjack(sardines canned shuff) amd rasberry flavoring... i bet it was the skipjack that did it cause i never used it again and never caught a thing since :angry:

18. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    out in the lhc area on the river

i know there is shad out at places like site 6 and i see some at misquete bay but are there shad out in the middle of the lake

where do the shad go during the day :tounge_out:

19. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shad up here normally will stay in the same general location throughout the day. They just arent as active during the daylight hours. They are normally feeding in the mornings when the sun first starts comming up and right before the sun goes down. thats when you see them jumping all the time. but if you look closely into the water though, if they are schooled up you can a lot of times find dark spots in the water. those are normally your shad. If you have striped bass or white bass in your waters that you are fishing, try to find where they are comming up to the surface and hitting. a lot of times that is what they are hitting. and shad during the day i know will hold up against structure as well. like boat ramps, docks, fallen trees. and any type of wall that might be in the water. but other than that, the shad are still normally in the general location as before because they arent a fish that travels long distances, you just have to look a little more closely for them

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i made that confusing :roll_eyes: