Hauling popup & boat

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Wooly, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was wondering if there is a way you folks take your camper and boat/trailer to the site at the same time. With the price of gas I don't want to take two vehicals or make multiple trips.
    Thanks, Wooly

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I saw a picture a few years ago about a man that built a rig for the back of his pickup. It was designed somewhat like a car carrier.
    His boat and trailer were winched up onto and on top of the truck. It was 14 foot run about type boat. Then he hooked up his camper behind the truck.
    Very ingenious design.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Please post some pictures of you backing up. Gotta see.
    :smile2:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    just a note you might check the laws pertaining to multiple trailers here they are permitted IF the first one is a fifthwheel or gooseneck

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  6. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    When we camped in a pop up trailer years ago, I just put a hitch on back of the trailer and pulled them both behind the truck. I have an uncle in Kansas that pulls a 30 ft. 5th wheel and a 15 ft boat behind the 5th wheel. As long as you are with in the length laws your ok. I dont know about other states.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i've pulled camper and boat at same time. u have to un hook one to back other up. what i did was unhook boat from back of camper then park camper, rehook boat then put boat in water. THis is why i use a tent now. lots of hassle

8. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys,
    I have thought about hauling in tandum but have'nt seen it done other than with semi-tractor rigs. Thought maybe someone may have another solution.
    Thanks for your responce,
    Wooly

9. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for your reply's
    I guess I need to check the DOT for Illinois and Indiana (I would like a trip to southern IND.) I thougt maybe I was overlooking a obivous solution.
    Wooly

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There's one other possibility...if you can live with a smaller sized boat, put racks on the roof of the pop-up...

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Don't know if anyone still makes one, but years ago, I saw a camp trailer that also functioned as a boat trailer.

Large back doors, removable keel rollers, fold down furnishings...kinda weird, but an interesting idea.

I saw something similar recently, except it hauled four-wheelers.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    It was and probably still is legal in TX to tow a boat behind camping trailers. It was pretty common... but never saw anyone towing behind a popup. Most are not strong enough for that without a lot beefing up.

We had a popup camper and boat for 20 years but didn't tow the boat. It was a 14 ft semi-V and carried it on top of the camper. I installed two roll bars on top of the camper. I could lift the front of the boat up on the back bar, then to the back of the boat, lift up and push forward. I used junk yard seat belts for tie downs. I could load/unload and tie down in 5 minutes. Also had a set of wheels mounted at the top back of the boat for pushing it like a wheel barrow down to the water. Carried the 15 HP motor in the car. Of course that wouldn't work on a camper with air conditioning.
    We usually spent 2 or 3 weeks a year in Colorado, 600 miles from where we lived in TX.

14. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There's a fella that camps down where we do and we always see him pulling a boat behind a camper. There is another fella that pulls a pop-up camper with a 10 or 12 ft. jon boat on top. He doesn't worry about racks for the top of the camper either. When I go camping this coming year and take my 12 ft. jon boat I will probabley put the boat on the roof.

15. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll need to drive the three miles to cross into Indiana before I could pull both. Something to consider though.
    Wooly

16. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know here in KY you can pull a second trailer but the first one HAS TO BE a fithwheel or gooseneck. and the second trailer can be pulled with a ball hitch from the first trailer.

17. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    not me... sounds scary. Its legle here but I-85/ I-40/ seem like a snake action would come in, probably why they say 5th wheel only. I have same problem but my 5th to long to put anything behind. boat is fiberglass 18 or pontoon so no rooftop stuff. trying to find second tow vehical that my wife likes...lol

18. RCollier

RCollier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It is legal here in Oklahoma too, Except the law states the living quaters have to come first then the boat.

19. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used to pull two trailers to TN fishing every year. Indiana law sayes 65' total, KY sayes 55' total and TN is 65' also. LOL My total was 58'. I could not get down to 55' to meet there law, but I looked legal. That's half the battle. Look Legal. LOL LOL

Now I'm back to a truck camper with the boat behind. I like this set up better because two trailers are a pain in the butt. You cannot back up. Some resterants don't have room for you to pull in. Most of the time you have to fuel at truck stops as other gas stations don't give you enough room to get in and out.

My advice is get a 3/4 ton Ford, Put air bags on for the sway, and get a nice 10.5 to 11.5' truckcamper. Look around good because any dealer that has a truck camper will deal on it. I got my 1998 last winter for 3500 and every thing works. Frig holds 4 - 1/2 gallons ice cream, spoon bending cold. They wanted over 5K for it, I offered 3500 and they took it.

Now the bad thing is fuel mileage, as my Ford gets about 9 mpg when the camper is on and I'm pulling the boat. This Ford has a gas motor. A diesel would get about 14mpg , same load.

Truck campers have gotten better over the years. They have better step setups, bigger bathrooms, 4 jacks that can be electric, just overall there better.

Of course years ago I used to buy 100 dollar truck campers that had rotted wood, only part of inards ever worked. I never had one the frig worked in all 3 modes. Never had one that had hot water. Sometimes Loading and unloading those old ones scarred the crap out of me. 3 jacks, wobbling all over. lol lol

New truck campers have 4 jacks, one on each corner and push buttons to raise and lower them as an option. Pertty slick.

Both of my trailers were 2" ball hitchs.

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim I would rethink the 10 5 to 11 5 camper on a 3/4 ton I have a 9ft on my 3.4 ton and it sure needs a 1 ton truck. Now the old campers were light. But the new ones well lets say mine pushes the scales at 4000 LBs + and its only a 9ft.
    Even some of the newer 8ft models are way over for a 3/4 ton. They keep making them bigger and bigger. Now theres one out there that has three slides and can only be legal on a F550. LOL
    Also mine has a 8ft slide out in the slide in camper. Also I have 5000 lb air bags and 19.5 truck tires and wheel to keep from being over what the factory tires and wheels would carry.
    But a truck camper is the way to go. Load it and then hook up the boat. And go. I am only 34" longer with the camper then I am without it.
    Pete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Okanagan%20811-SL/camper107.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/smokedchicken004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/camper011.jpg