Hauling Deer Out

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Oct 2, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now that that big deer is down what or how do you get him out of woods? What is most unusual way you have gotton your deer out?

Kinda reminds me of a joke you can supply whatever group you want when retelling this joke.

2 deer hunters were observed pulling a deer out of woods by its hindlegs. While taking a breather another hunter stops looks at deer and said it would be a lot easier if you pulled the deer by the antlers. After the hunter left the 2 guys untied the rope around legs and tied it around the deers antlers. 15 minutes later the first hunter remarked "This is alot easier than the way we were doing it. Ten minutes later the second replied I have to agree with you but the truck is getting farther and farther away!!!:big_smile:

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wheel barrel and go, easy but not as easy as a 4 wheeler.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hard part for the older guy. I have one of those "Deer Sleigh's", made of real slick vinyl. Makes it pretty easy. Rolls up for carrying in. It's ok, but hard ta beat a Gator or a 4 wheeler or such. One farm I hunt, "you down it, it's yours"....the other, the owner likes taking the John Deer out for ya. I just take my time. Always hate ta see the day over a lil. I like to make my stand on the high ground now, for a downhill drag. LOL. Having something to put the meat on for the drag keeps it better shape for butchering. And I have a gambrel to let it hang for awhile before I head out. Helps it cool, and makes it easy to load into the pickup. I always carry extra rope now, for that kind soul with the 4 wheeler.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    When we kill deer sometimes it's deer meat and sometimes its venison. When we kill one that is an easy drag or you can drive the 4 wheeler up to it and load it up it's venison. Those are easy but a lot of my stands are 1 to 3 miles back into some pretty rough country that is not accesible by truck or 4 wheeler and is walk in and walk out only. The deer killed on these stands is considered DEER MEAT:smile2:. Most folks won't venture into these areas from laziness and from fear of getting lost but there are some pretty good bucks in those areas. When i go to these stands it is a good buck or i don't shoot because it is to much work to get them out. When i was younger i would get them on my shoulders and carry them out that way. Now that i've gotten older i have found a new way that is still work but a lot easier for this 40 + year old. It is legal in this state but you might want to check your regulations. I take an army back pack and pack the following items, a hoist and gambrial to lift the deer up into a tree, A bone saw for cutting off horns or for cutting at the base of the neck if you are going to mount the deer, Trash bags to put the de-boned meat in, extra rope, rubber gloves. When i get a deer down i will field dress it then hang it on the spot, skin it and quarter it out and if it's a long walk back i will go ahead and de-bone the meat to cut down on the weight but leave the testicles attached to the hams. This really cuts down on the weight then just put everything back in the pack and pack it out. As stated it's still work but a lot easier than taking the whole deer out of some rough places.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I drag mine out by the front legs that way the head doesnt get stuck on a log or the tag which we're required to pin to the ear doesnt tear out. Furthest I've had to drag was a buck 3/4 mile thru some nasty brush & rock. If I hadnt been dragging by the front legs, it'd have been more work then it was.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Make sure ya take along a big big big friend, who is hungry to boot.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont do much dragging any more, it gets strung up the nearest tree. I go to the truck to get a cooler and knives. A couple of times Ive dragged them out I couldve had it butchered by the time I got it out of the woods.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i sill use the cussin and stumbling technique,i have even been known to let the deer rest on my lap while i catch my breath and then start again.

9. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i drag em outta out the woods via this old 4 wheeler trail nearby, then i hike ( about 6 miles) back to camp and get my truck...i hate that walk....some day ill just park by the road..dang, then id have to carry my gear to the camp...its waaay to late to try and figure out a better solution...i cant sleep, im leaving here in an hour to go to camp...

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a deer hauler. i hunt about 4 miles back in the woods. 'a very isolated area'. my back wont take the dragging anymore..

11. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A few years ago, while hunting in a management area in north central minnesota, one of the guys in my hunting party shot a deer that ran back onto the frozen (slighty) lake. Since it was so warm there, the deer feel into the slush. 2 of us ended up breaking through the slush/ice before we could get the deer. Then it was an hour long drag outta the woods. It was a nice 8 pt, but boy was that a lot of work..

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Where i'm hunting i'm a couple hundred yards into the woods, and in a couple places the mud and water are so deep they come close to the top of my 16" rubber boots. i always keep a piece of rope with me when hunting, and i cut a limb off a tree to give me something solid to hold onto. After dragging a buck out of that muck and mud, and realizing how much trouble it is to get traction, i bought one of these this year once i talked to someone that has one and said they are great for dragging deer:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=haul+decoys&noImage=0

I haven't got a deer this year, but it slides good on dry ground with weight in it. Time will tell. I'm also told this makes it easier to load if you have 2 people because each of you can get a side and lift....may keep some blood out of your truck maybe.

13. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i used to drag everything back when i was dumb and strong. now i drag them to the nearest trail or road, walk back to the truck, unload the kubota and or a small john boat if the rivers up, and go pick them up. ive seen 4 grown men 3 deer and 2 hawgs ride out of the woods like the bev. hill billy's. thank God the boss bought that kubota, cause the average stand is about a mile walk through mostly swamp.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hunted my property for 22 years with 8 guys. I have several deep draws and ravines. If you dropped a deer in there it was yours by yourself to get. Amazing how that works. Guys could always seem to knock 'em down on the flats or a get to able location. This year I'll hunt by myself if I hunt. I'll park my lil' Ranger 4x4 on a logging trail and sit in front of it or in it and drink beer. Gun will be pointed forward and when that doe walks across that trail that's where I will pick her up. Will have to go get Nancy to lift it for me but that is what wives are for.

15. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    A few years ago I purchased on of them two wheel carts to haul deer out of the woods. If I can give any one some advice DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. It works great if you shoot your monster on black top and he falls in the middle od the road. I am back to saving my pennies to buy me a 4 wheeler untill then I will be draggin and sweating. Now if I can get some phone numbers of so people to call I am all for sharing the wealth of draggin deer out of the woods.

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    We have a spot like that. Back up to the fence where the cowheads on the post. If its warmer sit outside and drink beer and watch for deer. If it's cold sit in truck and drink coffee till later in the day (7 to 8 AM) and then drink beer. LOL I have seen as many as 4 pickups backed up to that fence. Also seen a lot of deer killed there. I shot a big 10 pt. there a few years ago laying across the hood at 246 yds. Thats our gathering spot. Drve to deer and load up. LOL

17. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Thats funny. I posted a joke yesterday 20 minutes after your post. It was pretty much the exact same joke.:smile2:. Its a little different but not much. I just didn't want you to think that I stole your joke. Last year we used the bucket of a tractor. Otherwise its the back of a 4wheeler or dragging it.

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wasnt my joke anyway!!!!:tounge_out:

19. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I don't drag deer anymore......no need to where I hunt. On my property I just drive my Huskvarna lawn tractor with a utility wagon up to them. Load em in the wagon and drive em home. The property I hunt in Ky is easy...drive the farm tractor right up to em and snake em out. The property I hunt in Alabama is almost as easy as Ky....drive the truck within a few yards of em and drive em out.....no more of them long back breaking drags for me...as you age you learn to do things the easy way.....When we were young we hunted a mountain that was really rugged. We would start out on top and drop off the side to where a series of ledges ran parallel to the mountian side. Folks coming up from the bottom would run deer up to us BUT when we killed one it was all up hill to the camp. Sometimes it took four of us six or seven hours to get a really good buck back up the hill. At 57 years of age we don't even dare do that now....lol.

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    where I hunt in north mn, its swampy, hilly, and lots of brush and down trees. I bought a plastic kids tobaggan to drag them out, nephew got one the same year, brought em both, but there was enough snow to drag em, shot a small one about 2:30, it was a 3 hr drag out. but I was too lazy to get the tobaggan, next year forgot to bring it. I always drag em out, cause it seems every year someone gets shot carryin one out. somethin about gettin shot when I'm not shootin back bothers me.