Hatteras Island, Outer Banks

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by CatsNstripers, Jul 29, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Back From Hatteras Island, outer banks North Carolina. I try to travel down as much as i can whether its a short weekend or a week long vacation, In july I always head down for 10days to get away from it all... Hook up the boat and head down! I headed down with my Girlfriend Brooke on her first saltwater fishing trip, she loved it. Also my bud DC joined use for 4 days aswell for some fishing..

Heres a short brief report to sum up my trip

The Sheepshead, has to be my favorite. Those offshore guys can have those tuna. The Sheepsheads is my poor mans grouper. The bite Was on. Somedays we boated up to 50 sheepshead. Most Were running 3-5lbs and usually a couple 6 and 7lbers. We just couldnt break that 8lb citation mark this trip. And I've been after that 10lber for a long time. Although we had several that straightened our hooks or we just simply couldnt pull out of the pilings. We mostly fished around Oregon Inlet bridge for Sheepshead, Using Sandfleas or Blue crab and fiddler crabs. An awesome fish in my opinion..

We also turned our attention to Speckled Trout, flounder and Puppy Drum which was on a good bite as well. The trout and Puppy drum we fished with either popping corks with 4"grubs, or 3" Gulp shrimp, Also used jig heads matched with a 4" Gulp shrimp. The Pup's were scattered around the reed grass and creek mouths. And the trout were scattered in 1.5-3ft of water around spotty grass bottom. Flounder were located in the same areas and caught on the same lures, but we also caught several around the OI bridge Using small spot or finger mullet. Some decent flounder up to 20" At times we had to switch from live bait to strip baits due to the stripers, up to 12lbs feeding on them, but was no problem. Just didnt give the flounder enough time to get to the bait.. Black Drum were a miss this year. We usually catch several, nice Black Drum. But just wansnt many around. I see a guy catch two small ones around 8lbs i guess. That was it..

The bluefish were thick, but couldnt find any spanish of much size trolling Clarkspoons. To wrap up the rest, we also boated a few Triggerfish and tautog while sheepshead fishing.. And we fished from the surf in the evening, but a few shark hook ups take credit for, but none beached. Had one fought close in, roughly 5-6ft. But eventually his skin fraid through my 50lb shock leader, before i could get him through the surf and onto the beach...

The weather was gorgeous and the island itself is just beautiful... I'm moving there, plain and simple... I'll be back down the in Oct for another long trip, mostly for Big Red Drum from the surf and the start of striper season.... Hopefully get a weekend or two in before then though.. Although I'm already excited about June '10.. dat's Cobia "the Brown Bomber" Time!... No need to rush it though.. Its gorgeous down there... Thank you Lord....

Heres a couple pictures...

Thats me with a Sheepshead, My g/f Brooke with her first Flounder, and my Boy David "the Travilin' Stallion" Clark...

Attached Files:

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    TRAVIS sounds like yall had a great trip ,hatteras is someplace every one thats likes the ocean should go to at least once whether to fish or just sightsee ,i love it out there

3. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was going through old posts and saw yours. We were there last year on our motorcycles the week after Memorial Day. We went to the Rolling Thunder in DC and on down to the Outer Banks from there. Had a ball there and can't wait to go back. Didn't get any fishing in, but I could see how a person could move there. What we liked was that it was quiet and wasn't commercialized. There weren't any cars on the road after 9:00 PM. It may have been because of the time of the year. We went on down to Myrtle Beach from there and back to home after that. It was almost a 3000 mile trip. Hatteras was by far our favorite part of the whole trip.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Problem with moving there is having a decent job.
    About the best thing going is a gubment job with the state park service on maintenance. in fact there was an opening at Kitty Hawk recently. Start pay about 35k and runs up to about 48 I think.

If I were single without property and a kid. I'd be cutting grass and giving directions to those damn yankee visitors at some civil war fort at the beach for about 40 hours a week.

The trigger fish. One of the most intelligent fish in the ocean based on how it feeds.

5. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Great Report! Got to love those saltwater trips. Never know what is going to be on the end of your line. Good looking sheeps in the pics!!!

6. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've fished freshwater all of my life and only recently started fishing saltwater. That's the thing I've really enjoyed about fishing saltwater. I've caught several different types of fish already and all of them are new to me. Makes fishing fun again and most of them put up a good fight no matter what size they are.