Hatfield PowerPlant on the Mon

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by mikeozo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    Anybody ever fish this spot? Its a huge powerplant located on the Mon river in Masontown, PA. I fished it many years ago for channel cats and did great but cant remember where or how we set up.

I would imagine there would be a lot of warm water discharge here. There is also a large bridge there and alot of structure where the barges are stored. I have added a picture below.

I thought about making a trip up there launching out of 10 mile. Any info I can get would be great!

Attached Files:

2. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've never been there but check out that bend! Only one way to find out what lives there! Good luck to you

3. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    If you were going to fish this, where would you start? Which side of the river?

4. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well i would assume that the outside bend is deeper... I might start at that bridge piling then do a quiet drift down through the outside bend, stopping to fish every so often. Maybe fishing for an hour or so every 75 yards. just what i would try though, i'm sure many people here would try a diff approach. let us know how you do

5. dustcat

dustcat Member

State:
    pa
    i agree fish the bridge upper and lower side fist, diftin and anchoring on the outside bend is also a good bet too. check the barge barrels or whatever they are called sometimes wood and other debris get piled up on the bottom. i would fish the upper side where the strucure will be catch them big cats comin out to feed. good luck hope to see some pics.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Head straight for the barges. Anchor on the upstream side and drift the bait under the barges. I know 2 other guys on here that will agree!!:wink:

7. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I have fished there before Mike. I mostly fished the structure and the barges. I have done pretty good there. I have caught a few flatheads around there mostly channels though. The biggest flat I got out of there was around 15#. I never fished the warm water discharge though I should have. That's a pretty good boat ride from ten mile. I've caught Walleye,Bass and even Muskie in that area.Could you launch anywhere closer? Good Luck!

8. hglumac

hglumac New Member

State:
    SW PA
    There is a public ramp a bit closer, dry tavern I think. Save about 3 miles on the river...also chuck's boat club would put you in pretty close, but might have a ramp fee, not sure but would save a long haul up the river. Then again, who really minds a nice boat ride.

9. busti8

busti8 New Member

State:
    RicesLanding,PA
    i know a guy that had to dive down under the bridge a little while ago.. he claimed there was some very big cats in there along with a buncha fish he never saw before and some that were weirdly deformed.. but i can not state his findings as facts.. but that is what he said..:crazy:

10. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Could they have been Gar? There are lots in the Mon anymore.