Hate Dial Up

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Nov 17, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I was on here early yesterday morrning with no problem,then when I tried getting back on later I couldn't do it. The stupid phone was dead. No phone, no internet service.Anyway we called the phone company and they said that they couldn't get to it before tomorrow(which is today now).Well they finally showed up and the problem was down the road in another box.But where I live at I either have Dial Up or Sat.Internet and I can't afford The Sat.Internet so all I can do is hope it doesn't happen again.At least I'm back for now. Was about to go Bonkers wondering what was going on .

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    John,

I feel your pain brother. I also hate Dial-up service. For many years that's all that was available in my area. It has just been recently that they got DSL in my area.

The difference is awesome. No more waiting for the modem to connect, or at least try too, then the lines being busy, and still can't connect.

Hopefully things will change in your area. I'm glad your back on-line now Brother...

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'll tell you whats funny.. I bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 with dual core and all sorts of WI-FI and DSL ethernet satellite capabilities but Some guy in my neighborhood just got a stronger signal than mine so I have to use dial up in my house! Have to get a kick butt router and a true hook up. I was sharing wireless with the mayor (my neighbor).

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I too am on DSL and I live in a small town.My sister is just 10 miles south of me and she has dialup. I was on her computer the other day and it drove me nuts.Hopefully DSL will soon be available for you John,I agree with Bud there is nothin like it!:big_smile:

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Darn that down right stinks. Hope you don't have to be stuck with Dial Up very long. Tell the Mayor to turn his off :roll_eyes: ,yeah right.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have the same problem with AOL dial up. I get kicked off at 2AM and I know theres not that many people on the service in my area at that time in the morning. I am switching to DSL Wednesday. Also doesn't tie up my phone line.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When I had dial up it was impossible to get on line from 3:30 (kids home from school) till about 9 pm. (parents checking e mail after work or dinner)
    When my service goes down I go nuts. Guess I am addicted.
    Bill

8. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I also hated dial up it was a pain in the butt but now that I have dsl life is so much simpler

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Having dial-up is like being in the slow lane going 35 mph on a 65mph road. I'm so glad DSL is available where I live!

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    DSL all the way , baby . love my dsl hated dial up

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a cable modem up here. This thing was so fast when I got it a few years ago, now it seems to be slowing down somewhat, but it's still faster than most other options. I am going to be moving out in the countryside in the next few years, and I am hoping they can keep me hooked up on line with something comparable to what I have now. Later Andy

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Talked to a telephone worker and ask him when they was going to put in the fiber optic lines so we could get a better service on the computor. His remark was it's gonna be a long time cause the telephone company doesn't want to do it.It cost too much. Guess the only way To get DSL is to move to town(I don't see that happeing.)Guess I'm stuck with good ole Dial up.:sad2: Better than nothing I guess.
    OH WELL!!

13. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I feel your pain!!!
    I just put DSL in my office - what a difference!

My problem now is dial up at home, I'm at a smoking 24Kbps right now! Usually runs around 19Kbps, talking to SBC about the future plans for DSL at my home didn't sound good so I am having a Wild Blue sat. system installed next month.
    $198 for the equipment installed then $49.95 a month, I am turning off a phone line used for dialup so the real cost will be about $25 per month.

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I feel for anyone that has to use dial up. We used it a few years until cable internet became available. We don't live in town but are close enough to have all the city services except their city tax. Last week we got a cable phone. It cost less, has free long distance and all the other goodies. After 50 years we are no longer connected to a SWB phone line.

I read once that they were looking at sending internet service over the power lines, I wonder what happen to that?

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dayton, the technology is there already to send data over the power lines.
    Like anything else I imagine its going to take some more technology to get it where it needs to be.

16. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i thought dial up was great once till i got dsl will never go back to dial up ill lose the internet before i go back