Hatchie River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TennHaynes, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TennHaynes

TennHaynes New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Does anyone ever fish the Hatchie river in West Tennessee?

2. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have fished the Hatchie quite a few times. Beautiful little river. I enjoy fishing it. Didn't fish it last year. I have been looking for a few big fish this year. In my opinion the Hatchie is a great place to catch numbers of smaller cats in the 2-5lb range mostly channels with the ocassional 10lber mixed in. Years ago there were lots of big flatheads that were caught there but I think the bigguns have about been fished out. The end of summer is typically tough because the water is usually really low and the ramps are almost unusable. Lots of under water trees to contend with. I can imagine that the Hatchie has consummed its share of lower units although I have yet to hit anything hard enough to do any damage. You may know but the Hatchie is a scenic river and has not been dredged or channelized or cleaned out and is one of the last "natural rivers" in west Tennessee.

3. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I thinks Shadguts is right on. I've never really fished it for cats, but I have fished for shellcrackers and bass with great success. We always fished the back sloughs off the river but the water has been too low to get in any of em in the past couple of years. Good luck and give it a try, its a beautiful little river to waste a day on even if you don't catch any fish!

4. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I moved to Memphis a little more than a year ago from SW Kentucky, and have spent some time on the Hatchie. It's loaded with eating-sized channel cats. I've caught a couple small flatheads out of it as well. I've RR fished it and run a few setlines. Have caught fish both ways. It's a beautiful place to go. Just take it easy because it's full of trees and stumps.

I will caution you about parking at the boat ramp if you have Shelby County tags. Some of the locals take offense to this for whatever reason. My wife and I fished there one day last July and had a great day up until it was time to go. When she went up to back the trailer in, she found the wiring to our trailer lights had been cut.

I don't intend to let those types of things keep me from going back, however. Been back several times since with no problems.

5. TennHaynes

TennHaynes New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What portion of the river are yall fishing? I know there are ramps at all or most of the major highways. Are there any more ramps besides those? I've fished some of the oxbows in the Hatchie refuge for brim and did ok. Do yall think the fishing is better closer to the mouth of the Mississippi?

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    only place i have been is under 40 had a ball

7. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I've always fished closer to the Hatchie Refuge more than I have anywhere else. Now, I have duck hunted the end of the river closer to the mouth of the Mississippi and it looked like it had some great fishing holes in it. If I had my money on it, I'd say you have a better chance of catching a biggun the closer you are to the Mississippi River. Thats just my opinion though. With as many curves, bends, and holes that river has in it, I'm sure you might be able to manage a goodun or two just about anywhere down it.

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hyw. 76 in Haywood County and the Haywood/Tipton County line on Hyw 54. The ramp on 54 is good until the water is extremely low.

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I have fished the Hatchie a bunch of times in the past and most times did good. I have caught blues up to 50+ pounds down river from the 57 Hwy bridge just out of Pocahontas. You are right about the stumps when the water is down but it was always fun to fish down there.