Hatchie River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Wilbur T., Feb 15, 2008.

1. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fellows,

My first post here.

My wife and I just moved to the Memphis area, and one of the things I've been doing on the weekends is scouting some potential hunting and fishing spots. I'm from Kentucky originally and have been catfishing up there all my life, particularly on Kentucky Lake.

The Hatchie River up near Brownsville has caught my eye, as I enjoy smaller rivers. Anyone ever fished it? Is there much of a flathead population in the upper portion (away from the Mississippi River)? I'm not looking to steal anyone's holes here -- just searching for general information. Also, are there any public boat ramps that aren't in the Hatchie NWR? I understand those can only be used in daylight hours, which sort of puts a damper on catfishing. Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Welcome to the BOC. I haven't pole fished that much on the Hatchie and never for flatties. We used to catch a few decent ones on trotlines especially in the spring when water was up using bream and pond perch. I have heard people say the netters, trotliners and telephoners (and likely farm chemicals and siltation) have really hurt populations. I have never heard about not using ramps on NWR at night. I am fairly certain people use the one on Hwy 76 at night anyway. I live in the county north of Shelby whcih is Tipton and we have three ramps I think. One is on Hwy 51 north of Covington on the Tipton/Lauderdale line. Another is on Hwy 54 just east of where Hwy 14(Austin Peay/Jackson Av out of Mempho) hits it. It is on the Tipton/Haywood line. There is another on Lower Hatchie between Hwy 51 and the confluence with the MS River. Depending on where you live in Mempho you might as close or even closer and have better fishing over around Bolivar. There is a ramp on Highway 64. There is also another ramp I am pretty sure where Hwy 57 crosses it. I would be a little worried fishing at night beacuse of the scumbags that lurk around the ramps during the day. The Hatchie is fairly shallow and full or trees so don't go ripping down through there when you go. I mostly fish the MS for blues but would love to catch some decent flatties. If you go let us know if you do any good. Oh yea make sure and take some good mosquito spray them buggers will drain your blood at night in that bottom.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Welcome to the BOC.
    Also do a search using Google and theres some stuff on the web. About fishing that part of the river. And If I remember right, There was some stuff about nice fish being caught in the section of the river.
    Even a River boat used to run up that far from the Ms river.
    Pete

4. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Will, I fished the hatchie alot last spring and early summer. Caught hundreds of nice sized channels. A couple really small flats but only used live bream twice. Both times caught some 10lb or so channels. The boat ramp on 76 is ok until the water gets really low in the summer. In low water the ramp at the tipton haywood line on hyw 54 is best. we quit fishing it this summer because I couldn't get a boat around. I was using a 14/36 jon with a 15hp and it got so shallow that I couldn't even use the trolling motor. That being said last year was a very very dry year. Like Roger said take it easy in the hatchie, its awful easy to destroy a lower unit and always run the engine in the unlocked position so if you do hit something it will atleast help. I love that little river. I have fished all day long without ever seeing another boat. There is a small bait shop on 76 east of the nwr that sells goldfish. I have seen pictures of some really nice flatheads from there, 30 and 40lbers.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Will, welcome to the BOC. I have fished the Hatchie there at 57 Hwy and have caught 50 and 60 pound blues just down river from the bridge. A fellow that works there at Hatchie Lumber flathead fishes the Hatchie in that area and has caught some hogs in there. And as it has been said, watch out for stumps and logs. About a mile down river from the bridge there is a hole and we marked some good fish in that hole. The trotlines are unreal around there though, at least they use to be. I would be afraid to leave my truck at that ramp there at the 57 bridge, day or night. There are some rough fellows around there.

6. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, I really appreciate it. This is just the type stuff I was looking for.

-Will

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC! I've crossed over the Scenic Hatchie quite a few times traveling between Little Rock and Chattanooga, back when I normally took I40 & I24. It always looked like a little river I'd really like to fish. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance. Bill Dance has had a couple of episodes about catfishing the Hatchie, but he was catching channels and blues. I don't recall ever hearing about flatheads being caught on the Hatchie, but that doesn't mean anything.