Hasting Nebraska - need advice on catfishing areas

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by warcraft1975, Apr 23, 2006.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have a son here and am planning a trip in a few months to see him,i was wondering about places near here for catfishing,i would like to get him on some flatheads if i can, i am from kansas and do not know this area at all.and tips would help,thank you

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

anyone at all??? i will take info on any lake or river in the area.just alittle help getting pointed in the right direction:big_smile:

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Don't know the area, but SudDawg probaly does.... it surprises me that he hasn't posted in a while. I will do some research for you, I go on nights soon so it should be easy enough to do at work.

TA2D

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    IF your going to be in hastings Neb. your best bet for catching flatheads would be sherman res. state rec area. Its north and just a little east of hastings about 50 miles it has some nice 30/40# pound ftats in it.you can fish it from shore but a boat would be better if you have one,there are also some real nice channel cat in it.the platte river.It has also been good in years past but with this drought I dont know how much water its carrying. your best bet would be Sherman Res. Bigcatman0816.

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Anyways, yeah Sherman Reservoir would probably be your best bet. Actually TA2D you and I both have been there, we just never fished it. Last time I was out near Hastings I was on temporary duty on that little Army National Guard base out there.

SudDawg

6. sasutto

sasutto New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It may be a little farter to travel but if you go west to Minden, south to Franklin, and west to Republican City or Alma you will find Harlan County Reservoir and when I lived in Franklin I always had good luck there. Also in the Republican River.

7. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    The closest fishing you'll find (about 20 miles)are the Mormon Island interstate lakes. The west lake has some nice channels. The middle lake is newly renovated so it will be a few years before the fish have some size. If you have a small jon boat or something similar its not to bad to drag it in. Electric trolling motors only.

I just fished a little lake called Farwell Reservoir (apparently also known as 'Little Sherman') today for the first time. It's about 6 miles north of Boelus, NE which would make it about 50-55 miles. It's about 40 acres when full, but it is down considerably. Caught a 4.3 lb and 14 lb channel on cut bait. Should be flatheads there as well. Plenty of shore fishing opportunities, no motorboats allowed.

Of course you can fish Lake Hastings on the north edge of town. All the little bullheads you would ever want. Channels, carp, crappie, bluegills there as well. I definitely wouldn't recommend eating anything from there. Mainly lawn drainage from town.

For flatheads Sherman, Harlan, and Branched Oak (by Lincoln) would be your best bet.

Hope you have fun!

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

thanks guys for all the info,i really needed the help,again thanks guys