Has this happened to you???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by savage308, Oct 8, 2006.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Yesterday I took my oldest son fishing at the lake. We got in the water and was tied up to a submerged tree that I wanted to give a try. I tied my batter operated lantern to the side of my boat overhanging the water like I had done a million times.

We started catching several blues and channels in the 1-2 lbs range. Right at dark I turned my lantern on and the moths (best I can explain whatever they were) started coming to the light like normal. They kept coming and coming and coming. Soon there were literally thousands of these in the water. The water was boiling around us with fish eating these moths. Mostly crappie and every now and then i'd see a catfish swim in the light.

During this 45 min spectacle we didn't get a bite. The moths were all gone from the water and we never heard anything else hitting the water around us. A hour and a half later we never had a bite. We decided to call it a night. Could the catfish have gotten their fill of the moths? Or did the bite just turn off? I always fish at night with my lantern this way and while it does bring in some moths and other bugs, I've never seen it like this. I was just wandering if any had any ideas about this.

2. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Dont know about in t he boat, but the lake we go to we dont even fish from the pier anymore at night because the exact same thing happens. Like you said its mostly perch and bluegill here, but ocassionally you see a cat come up and get them a mouthful. We even tried using artifical flies and even tying on the moths and couldnt get a hit. Its twice as bad when the may flies show up. I would like to hear some input on this post as well. Thanks.

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I had something like that happen a few weeks ago.
    We found a new spot and fished it once during the day and we decided to try it at night and see what happened?

We got there just a little before sundown, early enough to get things set up before we had to use the lantern.
    When we turned the lantern on, it was like someone dumped a truck load of bugs on us, they were everywhere. In about ten minutes, everything within twenty feet of the lantern was covered with these bugs.

We decided pretty quick to load up and get out of there.

I opened the trunk to load and the back of the car was covered in no time.
    When we had everything loaded, we decided to wait a little while before opening the doors, hoping most of the bugs would be gone, that didn't work.
    No longer then it took us to get inside the car, the inside was covered with these bugs.

I had never seen these bugs and don't know what there were millions of them.

As far as the fishing, we didn't even get a chance to try it, so I don't know if the bugs hurt the fish biting or not?

Ken

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thats insane hasnt happened to me and im thankful! lol. what did these bugs look like?

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I have flourescent lights mounted around the T-top on my boat & use them regularly, except on full moon nights. So far they have seemed to attract the baitfish closer to the boat & if anything has helped out.

The only time that the lights attracted enough bugs, was on a Gator hunt, I believe that they were Nymph flies. There were literally millions of them. I packed it in FAST.

Blacklights don't attract the bugs & make it easier to see flourescent type line and rod tips but don't illuminate the boat as well for knot tying etc. That's where my hat light comes in !!

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    These were some kind of moth type bugs... Kind of like a mayfly but the wings were a lil bigger..... We were catching cats before they flew in but after they came and the fish started eating them the fish just quit biting..... My lanter is a double bulb flourescent from walmart. Hanging the lantern over the side of the boat keeps the bugs from gettin in the boat too bad and they land in the water..... Normally helps bring in the bait and the cats but I think this trip overdid it.... lol

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Next time, toss out a line using the bugs as bait!!!

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    could have gotton full on the fish eating the bugs

9. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    At our local lake we have night fishing sessions that go on just for the summer months and during this time the crappie fishing is usually real good using submrersible lights. Once the light is in the water it usually doesn't take long for the baitfish to move in and then the crappie. We usually have a catfish rod out while we catch the crappie but never had any luck. That is until one night the crappie fishing slowed and we decided to shut down the crappie lights and just concentrate on the catfish. This turned out to be the best thing we could have done to catch the cats. An hour after we shut down the lights the catfish moved in and it was a very good night. The next weekend we decided to leave the crappie lights at home and it turned out to be one of the best nights we had all season. Needless to say the we'll be leaving the lights home the rest of this catfish season.

10. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I doubt the bugs filled the catfish up. I would say to not put the light on the water like you said you do. From my experience, having a lantern shining on the water doesn't help fishing, if anything hurts it. It would work great for crappie and gills, I am sure, but if you are after cats, stick with the lantern in the boat not hanging out of it.

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i try to fish in the dark is possible so the bugs dont show up.

12. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    the cats could have gotten full on the baitfish and crappie that were eating the bugs. Blues will hang out under scools of baitfish and stuff themselves.

13. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wonder if those were caddisflies?:
    http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trichoptera_caddisfly.htm

Some of them look like moths and when they come up out of the water, they can boil up, just like described. When there's a hatch of these on, it rattles the whole food chain.

14. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Muddler they definately did not look like that. I'm going to check with the local wildlife dept and see if they can tell me what they were. We went out this last saturday and the results were the same. Only there were not near as many of them. Same results as 2 weeks ago though in that the cats quite biting after the bugs came out. I did see a couple small 12"-14" cats swimming at the edge of the light eating the bugs. I just couldn't tell whether they were blues or channels.

This next weekend I'll give it a try without the lights, just for grins and see what happens. I've always hung my battery operated lantern on the outside of the boat and never had a problem catching cats. We're in 25-35' of water, tied up to a tree and there is almost always a slight current. We usually have a couple poles straight down and a couple on bottom or with bobbers around 12' deep. We usually do pretty well. I'll keep ya posted on the results without the light.

15. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    You may want to try some fly baits, the same size as the bugs that come to the light, it may or may not work. If it does let us know.

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i got into a mayfly hatch a few years ago in the dark. we had a pole light out too. the floor in the boat looked like livermush from us walking on them. man it was bad! i could hear fish coming to the top that night so i shined my spotlight on the top of the water and there was a ton of little white cats swimmimng around on the top, like little sharks feeding on the flies. we left them eating flies and went to the car wash to clean the boat. still had hundreds of mayflys alive stuck to the boat at the car wash. what a mess.

17. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I read in Bassmaster that when a willow tree overhangs the water in mayfly season that tons fall in the water and are eaten mostly by small fish. Bass will fill the area when this happens. They use lures that imitate the feeding fish, not the mayflies because the bass are not interested in mayflies, they come for the smaller fish.

I think this is what happened to you with moths. The catfish swam by you said, they were probably looking for a small fish to eat. They might have filled on baitfish and thats why they didnt bite afterward. Just a theory.

18. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i had like bass and other little things jumping at my dads lantern but not that manny moths