HAS THIS HAPPEN TO YOU

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KATTERMAN, Aug 26, 2009.

1. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    couple mornings ago went fishing. was fishing close to bank on small river,got a bite but miss the fish & lost bait,baited back up and threw in same spot no logs or anything just open water and it had'nt been there
    five mins and got a bite again got hook up it was a 9lb flat,then last night
    across the river i put a bait about 3' from bank and got a bite missed the
    fish and lost bait same thing happen i baited back up and put it back in same place as the first bite and in a few mins got a bite and hooked up
    got 18lb flat.what i am asking more experianced flathead fishermen.when
    you get a bite and miss the fish does it always pay to bait back up and throw in same spot.new to this flathead fishing and just trying to learn all i can,thanks

2. festus

festus New Member

I'm no flathead expert or a catfish expert of any type, or even a fishing expert of any species, but yes, if you get a bite and miss one, throw a bait back into the same spot, no telling what's schooled up in there.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    omg yessssssssss indeed

just like bass fishin the first strike ya miss him the 2nd attempt may miss him again

but sooner or later hes gonna get ticked off and smash the bait !!!

flatheads love to kill baits and screw with them ,, they will crush your bait and suck it in and out sometimes forever im talking 15 minutes or more ..

infact when they are doing this ya might try to tick him off and just bring your bait back a foot or so and let it set sometimes if ya move your bait when they are just killin it to be killin it that makes them mad and more agressive and take it better .

ive noticed small flatheads are not as bad on doing this but flatheads over 15 lbs sometimes will drive ya crazzy they way they bite ..

but to answer your question yes rebait and cast right in there ....

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27::0a27::0a27: if you get a bite and miss , throw back into the same spot

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That goes for any species IMO.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Flathead cats are territotial so if you miss a strike throw right back in that spot. Especially the bigger ones.

7. nanookofthenish

nanookofthenish New Member

State:
    sw iowa
    Dude, I could'nt agree more after an experience last fall on our local small river. Not once, but three seperate occasions my son had what I thought was a large turtle or big gar munching on his rod with a live chub for bait, only to be patient and find out they were all 30+ lb flatheads just messing around with the bait before they took it in and slowly moved off. I knew the circle hook would give us time to see what was actually going on, and now after landing a 33, 31, and 35 lber in three consecutive trips, I am a believer in waiting out their bite.

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I too am no expert catman. But I do throw back in the same spot after missing a fish. I don't reel in after missing a fish either. I let it sit there for atleast 10 min before checking my bait. They will come back

9. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    thank you everyone for info,i do know if a flat is laying in ambush spot like a logjam or a boulder yes i would be throwing right back to the same spot on a miss,but where i was fishing was where i thought one would be cruising by i did'nt figure they would be hanging around after the miss always learning something new thanks again for info everyone

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Ive seen times when you HAD to be in the same spot or you wouldn't get a bite.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Your results answered your question for you!:cool2:

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    For sure!! If you don't have bait in front of them, ya don't catch'em.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i caught a 14 lbr like that this year. i had it hooked and to the bank when it came off. bait still on the hook and alive and kickin so i dipped it back in 5-6 ft. to my left where it headed. it started movin like it could of been a gar and tugged kinda light a couple times. never thought it could of been the flatty i tug to get my bait away from what i figgered was a gar. turns out it was that flatty again.