Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catch & release, May 1, 2007.

1. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Over the past 30+ years I have catfished so much I'm almost ashamed......well not really. I guess if you fish enough you have lots of odd experiences. Here's one of mine....have any of you ever experienced something similar???

We pulled into our spot one night and before we got all the rods out, we caught one in the 25 pound range....then sat there for 30 minutes and didn't get another bite. We moved 250 yards or so and again before we sat down we caught another one maybe 20 pounds, then sat there for 30 minutes and not another bite. We moved another 250 yards and before we got all of the rods out we caught one in the 40 pound range......of course we sat there 30 more minutes without a bite. We moved 4 more times and the EXACT same thing happened within 2 minutes of throwing out the anchors. I would figure with all of the commotion of the boat moving in there and beating around in the boat would scare them off at least for a few minutes. Plus when my fishing partner throws the anchor it sounds like Rosie O'Donnel coming off the high dive. I often experienced quick hookups when river fishing, and occassionly lake fishing, but nothing like this night!

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It seems to happen alot to me in shallow water and I hope it happens this saturday at the Catmen tournament.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ed I think you found the answer, Just keep on moving and catch one fish in each spot. Whatever works Buddy.

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    and chris,I'm sure it will,i guess before each tourney we should just give you our bank acct # and let ya draft it out,save some time and having to count all that money,but seriously thatd heppened to me as well,not much but has happened:roll_eyes:

5. catch & release

State:
    SC
    Thanks Mickey, I've tried about a thousand times since then and have only been able to repeat it a few times. It obvious they ain't to scared of a boat. Chris, good luck this weekend and I hope to meet you at a tournament soon at Santee. I have fished most of the Randolphs Tournaments over the years and the more recent NC Cats Tourneys held at Blacks. I not fishing Poplar Creek for 2 reasons: 1. I stink at catching big fish during the day and 2. I have to take someone fishing Friday night.

Here's a funny one for ya Chris that I hope you don't repeat. Last year fishing in the Black's Tourny we threw back about 15 small fish "knowing" we'd catch plenty of big ones. Well we only caught 4 big ones, but still had plenty of weight to place maybe 7th or 8th. To make a long story short, we use a 120 gallon cattle trough with air supply as a live well and it's unbelieveable how wild and energetic the fish are when we go to weighins. Well we parked at the gas pump at Blacks and the biggest fish....35 pounds or so, jerked his way out of my buddies hands right into the water and we were only left with 3 fish to place about 11th or 12th!

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats why I usually pull the boat out of the water before I unload.:lol:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am a 1 fish per hole man usually in the river. I dont throw the anchor in I place it in the water but I am a firm believer that the boat motor turns them on. I fish in the river alot and sometimes will be sitting there with no bites and another boat comes by and bam a rod loads up. I never have had the nerve to sit there with the motor running.

8. catch & release

State:
    SC
    I'm with you Rivercat. I was taught to fish like I deer hunt....quite and still. I've experienced the same with passing boats. I know a couple of guys that actually run a small motor almost he whole time they fish. They tell me the prop turning sounds like birds feeding underwater. It works good for them, but I can't make myself try it. My buddy that I tournament fish with makes more noise than room full of kids, despite me fussing at him, but we always do pretty good, so what do I know.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Some of the guides on the lakes use a small outboard; leave it running when anchoring over bait schiools, particularly in the winter. They say it helps attract fish. :big_smile:
    I've also experienced the "catch one after a boat passes" thing, in the rivers usually.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC Bill and thanks for the info.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes!

Actually that kind of thing is quite common for me fishing for flatheads. It is a little bit surprising that the commotion doesn't scare them - maybe it actually wakes them up a bit and get them looking around?

I am convinced that this happens when the cats are not moving much - they are just sitting in their lairs. You put baits down in a spot and they sense them (hear? feel? smell?) and come and get it. Then, there are no more fish within range of the baits, so you just sit. There are not fish moving around coming to you, so you have to go to them!

This is why I believe that it's important to pay attention to what the fish are telling you. In a situation like this, you will greatly increase your catch by going to the fish, and the fish are telling you that.

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I can only wish....:still_dreaming: :still_dreaming: :still_dreaming: .....