Has the Great Miami River came back to life yet

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by akilliss, Jul 19, 2006.

1. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    hey has the gmr came back to life yet?iv been working non stop with only a few days off which the band has had shows on those days so i was wondering if anyone has been doing anything on the gmr. i work by cowan and have been stoppin by in the mornings after work gettin a few nice eatin sized channels on crwalers but thats all iv been doing

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Derek, I went out last night for about 1.5 hrs from 7-8:30 or so and really was checking out a new spot, and spent a lot of time clearing stuff so I can fish there tonight, I did bring a rod and had a few litle guys pecking away at my frozen bluegills, nothing landed though. I might mention the fish were jumping and surfacing all over the place though. I havent been out for the last 2 weeks so tonight me and Chubbahead are gonna give it a try. will post any results later tonight/tomorrow.

Salmonid

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck brother, hope ya catch some nice ones tonight.

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Good Luck Mark,im hoping to hit the river maybe tomorrow night or saturday.im hoping they are turned back on so i can land a few,i dont care what it is.

5. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Mark, how muddy was the water looking? From looking at the USGS site, it looks like the water didn't go up all that much from the heavy rain up North a few days ago. It is now all the way back down and falling more.

It looks like there could be some isolated storms tonight. Hopefully it will stay mostly dry. There will be a lot of rain up north though, but that shouldn't effect the water down south for a couple days.

I usually don't do well when we are right on the line of a front though. Today for example, if the front stays just a few miles North, the fish in the South will just wait for it to hit before they turn on. Once it finally hits though, I usually do pretty good. I could be completely wrong, but that is my experience. Maybe I am just over analyzing things.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its definately got some color on it and a little bit of debrei but plenty fishable, I got a new spot we can try out, check your PM's

PS Thanks Teays and BCS! Will post any results tomorrow.

Salmonid

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Heres the short report, and Chubba is still out there now so he hopefullly will add to the report with better news, Long story short, showed up at the "New" spot and found someone , a local, who can walk there fishing it, told me he had already taken 3 small cats and a nice carp, all on Catalpa worms then proceeded to point to the very tree he has been using to get these great little critters, (Bonus, a spot with its own tree) while I was setting up, he hooks into a real nice channel ( 5-6 lb range) and looses it near the bank, bummer, anyways he says no problem, pull up a rock and make myself comfy so by then Chubba showed up and we fished this spot for 2 hrs and Chubba took a nice 3 lb channel on a Bluegill body and then I got a 2 lb guy on a chub body and then Chubba ( who keeps saying it counts, but I disagree) with huis ultralight bait rod takes a 7" channel on a wax worm...
    Ok so this guy keep ssaying he is leaving soon but never does so we start to pack up to hit another spot and he decides to walk out with us, ( Had we known that, we would have stayed since he was in the best spot by far and continued to miss a few more hits while we only had the hits we caught.) so we moved to another spot about a 1/4 mile downstream and started fishing that, I stayed about an hour and just left around 10:10 with Chubbahead still fishing when I left, there ya have it, slow, but not terrible for a new spot and fishing the not so best spot.

Chubba, please add how you did after I left, were all counting on you man!!

Salmonid

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't have much to add. I stayed til around 12:45. I had only two runs after you left. One took me into a snag and I had to snap my line. The other run, I'm still confused about. It was one of those "how in the hell." I caught a channel about 1.5 pounds or so. But the thing ate a bluegill that was 5 or 6 inches long. The opening to the channels mouth was maybe 1.5 inches. The bluegills width was at least 3 inches. I have no idea how he got that thing in his mouth. So when I reeled it in, I said "how in the hell."

It was a really slow night though. Not too many fish moving at all. I haven't searched through the board yet, did anyone else fish the GMR? Just wondering if the whole river was as dead as our stretch last night.

9. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Though the late night heat was high, 3 flatheads were caught. One was over 10 pounds. All were on live bluegill.

I'm going to start looking for catalpa worms in my area!

Spencer

10. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    i caught 2 turttles and plenty of crawdeads. i went to one of my easy acess spots casue my knees havent been up to par this week. had wear my brace so i didnt get to do as well as i thought i was going to. it was a beautifull night last night but no luck for me. my boat motor is out of the shop so hopefully ill be out in it again soon.

11. Catfish_John1979

Catfish_John1979 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    Hey all you GMR catchasers.. hows it going.. been awhile since ive been on here.. had to make a new name... my old name was catfish john69 from the forums when it was not set up this way... it wouldnt let me use that name... but hows the fishing going...
    if any of you guys would like to get together and fish lemme know... i need a new fishing buddy.... i have a couple good spots i know about... would like to meet up with some fellow catchasers...

John

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John, There will be an Ohio Gathering at C. J. Brown Res. in Aug. Check it out on the BOC Gathering forum. I'm going to try to be there.

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    John, welcome back!! Wjhat area do you live/fish in? that would help, lots of us scattered all along the GMR
    Akillis, whats the story on the knee? and give me a shout when you want to get out

Salmonid

14. Catfish_John1979

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    Well i live in the Fairborn.. but i fish anywhere i can south of dayton.. from miamiburg to the ohio... get ahold of me sometime.. maybe we can meet up... my yahoo name is catfish_john1979

john

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you look familiar cat1979, did you use to fish a lot in middletown behind the small lowhead dam? either way, welcome to the BOC!

16. Catfish_John1979

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    Yeah dink i sure did.. right were the old bridge is... was a great spot... cant park there anymore... and it was getting over fished back in 04.. when i was fishing it alot.... thats were my profile pic came from...

john

17. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    i used to think i was johnny ramone when i was 18. and decided that i could lean back and playguitar and blew both my knees out. now they blow out time to time and when i start workin 60+hours a week they get bad and since i have a new job my insurance isnt kicked in yet to get the doc to hook me up so they dont hurt.

18. Skipjack73

Skipjack73 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Derek, it's me Frank formerly of Dayton Tech. I had no idea you belonged to the Boc. How long have you been a member? I have a interview at Vinyl Vision next Wed. so we may be coworkers again soon.Drop me a line and let me know what I can expect working out there. Are you working nights? Hopefully we work the same shift and we can start doing some catting together. I was thinking about going this weekend to the GMR in my boat. Give me a call and we'll try to go or just call to shoot the shit. My cell phone # is 937-367-1139.