Has the fishing picked up yet?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Ryan11r, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    I was wondering if the fishing has picked up around the state lakes or rivers? I have had a pole in the water since the first week of August. I am hoping that the cooler weather is helping. Im gonna try to get out this week end if not sooner. Thanks Ryan

2. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    don't know about kansas but i think it has here in ohio.we've gotten alot of rain and cooler weather the past few weeks. for me the bite has picked up .catching fish all day long not just at night like it was when it was hot

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ryan, I Know here in Iowa the cooler weather has put the catfish on the bite the last two weeks as far as impoundments go. but the missouri river for me has still been tough, but I'm hopeing that will change as the Big Flats and Blues start bulking up for winter. J.D.

4. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I hit the kaw for a few hours yesterday morning up from desoto and came up with zip.Hopefully others had a litttle better luck.

5. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    guys and gals I'm dead in the water with fishin. I've tried livers and gizzards and night crawlers and cut shad sides and have not caught anything. I have fished on the Missouri and the wolf but will not give up until I hear them frying in the skillet.

Kirk

6. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dad and I went out last Friday Night and didn't get a bite. So I think it is on here.

Dave

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    ive been fishing milford the past few months,and the past few weeks the bite has just about became frustrating.i fished a tourney with 20 boats saturday the 9th and the weigh-in weights were way down considering there were 20 boats out there.believe it or not some Iowa boys drove 11 hours and showed us Kansas boys how to fish.their 10 fish weight was 77 and some odd pounds with a 28 lb. blue that took big fish also.they took home roughly 1600 bucks!!!!even after gas thats still not a bad day fishing.2nd place had a 20 lb difference from 1st and 3rd had a pretty big difference also.it seemed that everyone else i talked to had trouble catching quality fish the past few weeks.perry has been the same way.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Caleb, still pretty slow today and yesterday. I went on the Toon yesterday and caught 3 Channels and 2 Blues, today, only 2 Channels. The water temp is dropping pretty quick with all this cooler weather. Went from 86 last week to 78 yesterday.
    We've had a new front move through just about every day since you were here, I'm sure that's helped give'em lockjaw. If the weather stabalizes for a few days I figure it should go from "fishing" to "catching" on Milford, I'll let you know.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do believe it has here in Tennessee

10. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Well I hope it gets better. At The rate i was going there for a while it would be cheaper to not bait the hook.

11. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Been pretty slow here in Missouri on the Missouri but hoping they pick up the fall bite soon.

12. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i talked to a couple guys last saturday that swore up and down that they caught 40-50 blues all around madison where the lake splits.they did weigh in 10 blues ,but they said none were of any size all 2-4 pounds.i think all they were was using was blood.another team also caught and weighed in a white cat.have you ever seen or caught one of these?they look albino without the red eyes.another guy said they bought a bunch of them a few years ago and released them in there.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Caleb,
    I'd kinda take that fishing report with a BIG bag of salt:roll_eyes:. Me and Jerald been fishing pret'neer every day/evening, we've caught over a few limits, but that sounds, uh, fascinating(?). Not impossible though. I've had days, unfortunately not recently, where I'd caught over 20 eater Cats fishing alone, and in a couple of hours, so I reckon it's possible. In twenty years fishing Milford, I've never caught or ever heard of anyone catching a "white" Catfish. I've caught some Blues that were a lot lighter in color that normal, but there was no doubt they were Blues. I hate to think that some one would really be stupid and ignorant enough to plant fish that don't belong here, that could screw up the existing species, even though they're Catfish. I've heard about them, but don't really know anything about them. If they were put in the lake, hopefully , the bigger native Cats ate'em before they could multiply.
    When you heading this way again? I'll be out of action for the next couple of days, need a little modification on my innards, I'm hoping to be on the lake again at least by Sunday.
    You come fishing, make sure you give me a holler.

14. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    jim,i saw it with my own eyes and that catfish was a milky white color,no blue tint to it.i have seen albino catfish before and that is what it looked like but without the pink eyes.a guy who must know some of the park officials or something said that a few years ago they got a good deal on them and released them in the lake.you might call your buddies:big_smile: over in the state park to find out what the deal is.i bought a house and im moving the 30th so ill be packing and unpacking for the next month probably:sad2: ill be sure to let ya know if i can sneak away for a day though.in the meantime,this website is gonna be the closest thing i do to fishing so keep us posted on how its going.

15. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Kind of hitting this one little late but Labor day weekend did me well 5 channel 4 5lbs, & a 9lb. at Wellington lake, shad gizzards. Oh and a turtle!

16. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    modification????i thought your innards were made of steel!!:lol: i hope its not serious and i hope you have a quick turn around time.let us know how youre doing

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Caleb, if you get lucky and can sneak away, just come without your boat, we'll just go out on the Catoon. You wouldn't even have to bring your own gear (that way you can say it's business:roll_eyes: :lol: )
    Well, the Doc got'em modified(innards) Thursday morning(late), they made me spend the night, the nurses agreed I should be a training aid for nursing school so they'll know what to expect,:lol:. Well I got home yesterday morning, early, bout 9:30, I had all the nurses bugging the Doc to release me, I convinced'em it would be to their benefit:roll_eyes:. I thought I'd get out fishing today, but between the way the wind was blowing and the fact the Frau hid my truck keys,(even the spare set in my wallet:lol:), so I guess I'll have to wait till Monday according to her. Other than that, I'm doing fine.

18. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    LOL:lol: thats funny.youre one hard core dude!glad to hear it went good.i apreciate the offer to sneak away,but my next 4 weekends are gonna be jam packed with moving and a wedding to attend.i cant remember the last time i have had to put fishing on the back burner for this long,it totally blows!!so keep us posted and good luck rippin lips:smile2:

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Caleb, I don't know how long it'll be for you (involuntary abstention), I'm going on my sixth day, I'm a nervous wreck, specially, since the wind died to a nice drifting speed, it ain't rainin', aarrrrrgggghhhhhh! What to do, what to do. I'd walk down to the lake, but I don't think I'd make it, the fishing gear wouldn't be bad, it'd be my beer ration that'd kill me:lol:. Oh well, maybe another day or two.
    I AM going to my CCH class tomorrow so I can get my application in, Jeralds driving so I'll get there anyway:lol:.

20. snowman

snowman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The catfishing on the Neosha river over here by mccune has plain sucked. It just hasnt been like it has in the past hope it picks up. We got some rain coming so the fishing should turn around