Has the Economy affected your fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Sep 5, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We were talking around the campfire last weekend, and a subject came up. How has the economy (mainly gas prices) affected your fishing? For me, it has mainly affected my bait habits. I am pretty particular on what kind of bait I use (mainly black perch, not bluegill). Finding black perch in quantity, and exclusively, is somewhat tough, and sometime requires driving from place to place, or in my case, driving about 20 or 25 miles out of the way to a good perch pond. I used to NEVER buy live bait, and used to tease the guys who did. These days, however, you can buy a dozen perch or goldfish for between $4.50 and $7.00, or the price of about 3 gallons of gas. In my truck (Hemi) I can not drive to many good bait ponds and not burn more than 3 gallons of gas. Not to mention what your time is worth.

The other way it has affected me is how often and how far I will drive to fish. It has forced me to try to find more "local" fishing spots, and not drive to my favorite spots that are 35-40 miles away, more than once a week.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks to me like you got the math down 100 percent. LOL! And thats what it boils down to. I launch close by and only have a 40 horse motor. However i do think about it when I fill up! LOL! My fishin has not cut down at all cause I won't let it. LOL! I'll just eat macaroni with no meat. LOL!

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have change my fishing habits some. I only make the 100 mile round trip once a week now. I am fishing more close to home much more this year.

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've cut my expenses as much as I can so I can afford the gas. My favorite lakes are both 50 miles away. I'm retired and living alone, so fishing time is very important to me. Just getting away from the house with new surroundings is almost like a vacation for me.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :0a15: :crazy:This is a bad subject,yes it's effecting my fishing and I don't like it at all! It makes me upset and angry.Nuff said!-----------pk powell:angry:

6. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I think gas prices has affected all of us somehow. I am fishing close to home most of the time, even though I catch less. I am trying to learn the White River here in Arkansas. The boat ramp is 13 miles from my house and I know there are catfish, I just have to learn where and how to fish it. One of the best flathead spots I know of is 56 miles away. You figure in gas, for truck and outboard, bait, snacks and drinks for an allnighter and it adds up. My fishing buddy and I are both disabled and on fixed incomes, so we have to save up for th longer trip once a month. It sucks, but what can you do? grizzly

7. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got a 25 hp johnson not to bad on gas with a 6 gal tank I can get 3 trips out of one tank and the boat ramp is 1 mile from my house so for me gas prices have not affected me much
    now my fishing buddies thats another story cause they all live 30 miles or more from me so its hard to get em to come out to fish with me
    now yesterday a young man came knocking on my door says hi nice to meet ya I'm your new next door neighbor I see ya got a boat ya like to fish I say well heck yes he said thats why we picked this house cause its so close to lake sangchris see I can throw a rock and hit lake sangchris from my house I'm pumped seems like a nice young man and we'll see how it works out cause I'm tired of fishing by my self

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Gas locally is running about $2.50/gal. Two years ago, it was around $1.75.

If you get 20 miles per gallon, you're paying a whopping 3.75 cents more per mile to drive than you did in 2004.

Even when gas is $3/gal, you pay just over 6 cents more per mile than you did 2 years ago.

So for a 100 mile round trip day of fishing, it'll cost you between $3.75 and $6 more than it would have two years ago.

Even pulling a boat at 10 miles per gallon, you're looking at paying $7.50 to $12 more than you did 2 years ago.

I can't believe that's enough to put a real crimp in anybody's pocketbook, especially when you figure in all the other costs of your bait, tackle, boat, etc. etc.

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    what is a black perch? do you have a pic?

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I'e been fishing to long to let anything get in my way of preventing me from enjoying the second love of my life,First being my Children

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I must admit just today put off a trip because of gas prices. 7 miles to the gallon makes me get out the big wallet. It's matters at times. Fishing close to home is the same.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    YIKES! 7 miles to the gallon! What ya drivein a surplus Abrhams Tank. LOL!

13. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I enjoy my weekly fishing trip too much to let it affect me. I just try not to drive too far (unless I know they're biting) lol :roll_eyes:

14. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The increased cost of all things has slowed my spending, though not my spending on fishing.
    I will still drive where ever I need to to get in a good fish trip, I will not let gas prices of all things get me down.
    Life is to short to worry about fuel prices, life is to short to miss a good or even bad day of fishing.

15. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Not really since I live close to my fishing area (ponds and lakes). I will say that I keep more fish than normal for eating.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haven't let it affect me. I am like BG and just cut back on the grocery's, lol. I will be Teas size in no time now, lmao

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont know if it has really effected my fishing because i only go when i got the money and thats never enough. i do see people cutting back on spending with my job compared to last year.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I do change some habits, but I am fishing now more than ever.

I have a 200 hp motor on my boat that I only run at abou 3000-3500 rpms, unless there is a fast approaching thunder storm and then I let it fly!! :eek:oooh: I lose a few mph at 3500 rpm, but it is worth it in gas savings. I don't run all over the lake either, instead I launch near where I want to fish.

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Marty T., good post! Reps to you.

20. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to put in with Mr.T To compensate for the extra I just cut down one or two bottles of pop. I'm also on a fixed income but so far I've been able to cut some unnecessaries...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Mind unemployed is mind unenjoyed. ~~John Christian Bovee