Has anyone used the new side imaging depth finders yet

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by josh caudill, Sep 26, 2007.

1. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    The hummingbird depth finder has really got me thinking about upgrading. If any one has any positive or negative feedback i would appritiate it thank you.

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Josh We have a section just for this fish finder if you want to find out more information on this unit and some pictures. I will post a couple here to show you a few then go too this section on the board to find out more information:

Click Here to see the entire Fish Finder Forum

This fish finder if used right will be the last one you will need, the first thing I can tell you that most fishermen don't do is put your poles away and take the boat out and use the fish finder with the book that comes with it so you can learn how to operate it, there is alot too the unit and its well worth the money. This unit put us on alot of fish this year on waters we have never been too before like the first time and landing fish up to and over 85 pounds on our first day fishing the waters.

The biggest part is learning it and reading all you can on the unit and then asking questions about the unit.

I have a few pictures here for you to see with the 997Csi Unit that we have.

** These pictures are using side image, I will put sonar pictures up on the next post for you.

Attached Files:

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    These pictures are the sonar pictures, it shows two catfish we got one of the fish was 46 pounds (Bluecat) the other one was a 30# Bluecat on the ohio river near Henderson.

This unit is a very good unit once you learn it. just dont take it out to find structure, on the two pictures below we are drift fishing when both fish hit our lines.

Attached Files:

4. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The Fish On pictures show my fishing line sinker and skipjack dragging near the bottom of the river, as you can see the fish comes up and goes nuts when it hits the bait. This is some of the pictures I have been trying to capture while fishing this summer. And there great pictures.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Josh,
    I can't show you any cool pictures as I only gave my new 'Bird it's first outing just last week. What I can say is that Eric is right on with his assessment of this sonar being an awesome tool. As with any sonar, you will only get the best from it if you take the time to learn it thoroughly. The 2d (normal sonar) performance of the unit is excellent and the side imaging adds a whole new dimension to finding structure and fish. The GPS worked flawlessly. Though a complex unit the controls are very user friendly and it's quite easy to use. The hardest part I think is learning how to set it up to suit your boat and how to tune it to the particular conditions. So far I am very happy with my new toy...W

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have had one for close to 2 years now. and if you get one. Your best friend is the manual. Read it and then read it again and again. If you will read the manual and take it on the water with you. You can learn this unit fast.
    If not it will cause you to pull your hair out. Just look at Deerhunter01 LOL
    Its the best one out there. And will take you from thinking you know a river to wow I did not know Jack...
    Now if your going to learn the unit do not fish, Just run the unit and idle around playing with it. and your manual laying in the seat by you. spend a few days doing this and your world will change after seeing what is there.
    Good luck. I hope to have my 987 and a 997 on my new boat if I do sell 2 and go to only one boat.
    Good luck.
    Pete

7. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Good Morning

Amazon has a DVD on the operation of the 997 and 797 units. It is very good. It does not replace the manual but it is a very good explanation of how it works and how to use it. It unit seems user friendly; however, the menus are extensive.

I have never used a depth finder in my life and bought the 797. I researched it well and for me, I felt this the best unit for the money. I am amazed at the capabilities of both units.

Good Luck

Grits

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is very cool when it happens. I was out last week on the Ohio and just as I turned to say to Phyllis "Look at this fish coming up into the baits" one of the rods went down hard. FISH ON!...W

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    josh caudill:

If you want to come over and go fishing with me this week coming on an evening and I will show you how it works. Any time after Sunday would work well with me if you have a couple of hours. And then once you see how it works you can make your mind up then.

D/H

10. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    It would be an honor to go fishing with you. i work until 2:30PM every day at alcoa,any day after this time i can meet you. Thank you!