Has anyone used Spiderwire

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by cathog, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I am trying 50# spiderwire as a leader on my drift rigs. It seems to work well except for the fact that after I catch a fish, big or small, I need to retie. I always retie after the bigger fish, and the smaller ones if the hook is deep, but the spiderwire seems to fray at the eye of the hook on any size fish. I tie a palomar knot, and have never had any problems using it with mono. Any suggestions, or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I also used it and did not like it. It is teflon coated. I now use Super Braid, much better.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I tried SpiderWire once...never will use it again either. Doesn't hold up very well at all, I now use PowerPro and haven't looked back! PowerPro is some great stuff and about the same price as the SpiderWire. Check it out, you won't regret it!

4. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Tried Spiderwire,frayed too easy. Went to Power Pro and not looking back.:wink:

5. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    power pro all the way! but i am using 80lb floro for leader,tried 50lb mono worked ok but then had a30+lber break it at the boat while i was wrestling with the lipgriper so went to 80.got away from spiderwire after having a couple 20lb peacocks break 80lb test,talk about heartbreak moment!

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Hey guys, thanks for the info. I am going to buy some power pro tonight. It just seemed weird that the line frayed at the knot after a fish, and I don't want to lose a big one because of it.

7. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    cathog did i read in another post that you are fishing t-wak? if so pm me i will give you a couple hot spots from this past week! i tore em up 2-25lb, 2-35+lb & 2-40+lb on r&r in a 3 day period!

8. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    I have tried many braids, personally cant stand spiderwire..nothing but problems. worst of ALL is ugly braid...that stuff is no good, worse than spiderwire.

My current fave by FAR is suffix performance braid, cost a couple dollars more but awesome line. next would be stren super braid...but I think they quit making it, now they have somthing called sonic braid, cant comment havent tried it. power pro's not bad for the price, but I dont like the waxy coating on it...but that wears off pretty quick.
    p-line spectrex is a pretty good line for a reasonable price too.

just my opinion based on trying them all...

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I used spiderwire and did not like it because it frayed easily. Power Pro and Stren Super Braid are both very good.

Also stay away from MagicBraid it comes unravelled when wet after awhile.

10. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well guys ! i dont know where you all are fishing or the kinda structure your fishing, but ive never had that issue. ive been using it now (spider wire) 65 lb test main line! for about 5 years, with awsome results! and i fish the gnarly ohio river! its long lasting and durible, (i hate to spool main line) so the line on my reels now is over two years old and i would still fish a big money tournament with confidence and actully i probably will ,cause i have no plans of changing it yet!

good luck

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I bought 3 short helicopter rods in Mobile this passed summer & 3 new reels. I then went to a sporting goods place for the spiderwire. The first time that I tried to cast all 3 rods & reel the spiderwire was already tangled up. I took it back out & used 60# mono instead.

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I have used it for 5 or 6 years ,and wouldnt use anything else ,its great stuff :wink:

13. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I use 80lb. Spiderwire Stealth with a 50lb. red cajun mono leader and I have not had any problems at all. I fish the Santee Cooper lakes with standing timber every where. I use it drifting and anchoring up. Only time I replace it is when it gets low from breaking off. Broke it off from stumps and a 22 ft. boat drifting!:smile2:

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I would recommend Power Pro.

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i used to use spiderwire 65# stealth, then switched to power-pro 80# with a 40# mono leader(trilene big cat)

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    First of all, I recommend against using that type of braid as leader, as the smaller diameters do not hold up well to abrasion. Mono, fluorocarbon, nylon, or even dacron would be a better choice for leader material.

As for main line, I've used about 12 different braids over the last 8 years, and I would put regular Spiderwire near the bottom of the pack, and Spiderwire Stealth in the middle of the pack in terms of holding up to rod guides and sinker wear. PowerPro, Sufix Braid, and Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid were much better. Sufix and Daiwa are much smoother and more supple than PowerPro, and are my current choices for the best braid.