Has Anyone used a Black Salty baitfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Grits, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    I have been using Black Saltys for bait and had good results in a fifty acre irrigation reservoir catching channel cats.

My catfishing experience is very limited. I want to qualify myself before I go on.

These critters live for ever in a tank and almost as long on a hook. I was using large shiners and goldfish prior to discovering this bait.

I an curious to others experience with these and how they compare to other baitfish.

Thanks

Grits

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Grits, I used black salties in 2005 and 2006 and had very good luck with them. They have been in short supply in my area this year. You are right about them being able to survive, plus they can take a hit from a cat and keep on doing their thing. Mac

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    With the panfish in my area becoming harder to catch ,me and my buddy are thinking about ordering some.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's a popular gas station/bait shop here in Little Rock (Zimmermans) that carries the black salty instead of rice slicks. They've got them in 3 sizes, and charge $8.00/lb. or $4.50 for half a pound. That's the same price they charge for other baitfish, including minnows.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    WHAT ARE BLACK SATLIES ???????

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Its a fish used for bait they have been "genetically engineered" if you would. They are suppose to be tougher, last longer and stay more livelier than a minnow, bluegill and shad. The even takes hit from larger species and still keep going. I have never personally used them but as Phillycat said bait fish are becoming a pain to catch. People are having success using them from everything from bass to stripers.

7. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Below is a link for information on the Black Salty.

FYI-The Black Salty is a product of a selection process. To simplify, the kept breeding the most salt tolerant goldfish they could find. It is patented but it is not a product of DNA manipulation. Anderson Minnow Farm is a farm neighbor of mine. Anderson Minnow Farm is an impressive operation run by very nice people.

I have no affilation with Anderson Minnow Farm.

Good Luck

Grits

www.blacksalty.com

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As Grits said, they were developed to be salt tolerant. But as the same time, they can tolerate fresh water. This is supposed to be the only baitfish that you can put into your bait bucket filled with salt water, then refill it with fresh water when you get home, without hurting the baitfish.

9. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Jerry is right. The Black Salty is grown in fresh water but they will live in salt water.

I had some Saltys and large shinners. I kept both in my homemade bait tanks. The shinners did not make it very long. I kept the Saltys alive until I used them all which was over a week. I do not think I lost over a half dozen. The most important thing is the fish like them.

Good luck

Grits